Station Wagon Forums  

Go Back   Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media

Notices

Old 2009-07-24, 07:23 AM   #1
mrtotty

Vehicle(s): Renault Clio
Mike Brady's Station Wagon

Can anyone tell me which sort of station wagon Mike Brady drove in the Brady Bunch back in the early seventies? I can't remember whether it was a GM clamshell wagon or a Ford Country Squire or similar.
Whatever it was, it was enormous.
mrtotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2009-07-24, 13:01 PM   #2
TopherS

Vehicle(s): 2008 Cadillac DTS & 2006 Cadillac SRX
Mike Brady actually drove the cool convertible. I believe there were at least 2 different convertibles, the last one being a 74 (I believe) Caprice convertible. Greg and Marcia used it for their driving contest. Greg choked and broke the egg on the pylon, Marcia won...

Carol Brady drove a Dodge/Plymouth station wagon. It was the mid-size model (Coronet or Belvedere?). She wrecked it one episode...ok, she didn't "wreck" it, but she backed into another car in a store parking lot, while distracted by Bobby/Cindy fighting in the back seat (the dangers of parenthood). The other driver tried to sue the Brady's, claiming whiplash and other damages. Mike threw his briefcase on the courtroom floor, the victim turned his head, which the Judge saw and threw the case out and all was right with the world again.

I never watched the show...
2006 Cadillac SRX
TopherS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 13:23 PM   #3
73Catalina

Vehicle(s): 1973 Catalina
When they went to the Grand Canyon, I thought they had a Coronet. I thought they had mopar throughout the show's run but I could be wrong. It was kind of cool I thought when an insurance company (can't remember which one) "revisited" the set, and there was a Buick clamshell in the garage.
73Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 14:03 PM   #4
Taranau

My Garage: 1
Vehicle(s): Mercury Colony Park
Remember watching something on TV that explained that the Brady wagon was a late Sixties Plymouth.That Mike's first convertible was an early Seventies Plymouth and,when the show changed sponsorship,he got the Chevy.They kept the wagon,as it was a bought prop.
Taranau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 14:03 PM   #5
TopherS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Catalina View Post
When they went to the Grand Canyon, I thought they had a Coronet. I thought they had mopar throughout the show's run but I could be wrong. It was kind of cool I thought when an insurance company (can't remember which one) "revisited" the set, and there was a Buick clamshell in the garage.

I don't remember the Buick...I gotta see that. I checked IMCDb.org for the Brady Bunch, but all I got was the movie, not the series. I also did searches under Coronet and Belvedere and found nothing.
2006 Cadillac SRX
Old 2009-07-24, 14:10 PM   #6
TopherS

I just found the info on the cars (the page also has info on the house, as well)...

Here's the website: http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/...use/id/5514540

Here's what it says:

The Brady Bunch - The Bradys' cars

During the first two seasons, each of the Brady family's motor vehicles were supplied by Chrysler Corporation: a blue 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible (which Mike drove) and a light brown 1969 Plymouth Satellite
station wagon.

For the 19711972 season, the Bradys obtained new vehicles, once again supplied by Chrysler Corporation: a blue 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible and a brown 1971 Plymouth Satellite Regent station wagon. The 1971 Barracuda was modified during the 1971 1972 season into a 1972 model, with the addition of that year's particular grille and tail light combination (interestingly, the Chrysler Corporation never produced a 1972 Barracuda convertible). Greg, who by this time had his license, sometimes drove Mike's convertible, although he briefly owned a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible, a car which proved to be a lemon.

The Bradys kept the 1971 Plymouth station wagon throughout the rest of the series (this vehicle played a central role in the episode "The Fender Benders"), although Mike kept switching cars, which by the 19721973 season, were supplied by General Motors. These were as follows:
  • 19721973 - A blue 1972 Chevrolet Impala convertible.
  • 19731974 - A maroon 1973 Chevrolet Caprice Classic convertible with white interior during the first half of the season. Starting with 1974 episode, "The Driver's Seat" and continuing through the remainder of the series, the convertible is a red 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic convertible with black interior.
There are two known surviving "Brady Bunch" cars: The blue 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible (which has been perfectly restored), and the modified 1971 1972 Plymouth Barracuda (which was found in 2001 in extremely poor condition, and is under restoration by its current owner). The whereabouts of the remaining vehicles are not known.
During A Very Brady Christmas, Mike's car is a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron convertible; the family station wagon is not seen.
In The Bradys, Mike continues to drive the same car as in A Very Brady Christmas. The family station wagon (which a drunken Marcia attempts to drive) is a 1990 Buick Estate wagon.
2006 Cadillac SRX
Old 2009-07-24, 14:24 PM   #7
73Catalina

Vehicle(s): 1973 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherS View Post
I don't remember the Buick...I gotta see that. I checked IMCDb.org for the Brady Bunch, but all I got was the movie, not the series. I also did searches under Coronet and Belvedere and found nothing.
I was a little vague in my description. It was insurance commercial, and the spokesman was doing his pitch as he walked around a recreation of the Brady backyard.
73Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 07:15 AM   #8
mrtotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherS View Post
Mike Brady actually drove the cool convertible. I believe there were at least 2 different convertibles, the last one being a 74 (I believe) Caprice convertible. Greg and Marcia used it for their driving contest. Greg choked and broke the egg on the pylon, Marcia won...

Carol Brady drove a Dodge/Plymouth station wagon. It was the mid-size model (Coronet or Belvedere?). She wrecked it one episode...ok, she didn't "wreck" it, but she backed into another car in a store parking lot, while distracted by Bobby/Cindy fighting in the back seat (the dangers of parenthood). The other driver tried to sue the Brady's, claiming whiplash and other damages. Mike threw his briefcase on the courtroom floor, the victim turned his head, which the Judge saw and threw the case out and all was right with the world again.

I never watched the show...
I did, but I must have been about nine or ten at the time.
I clearly remember both the driving contest and Mike dropping the briefcase in the courtroom. Funny how certain things stick in one's mind.
All these relplies are rather good, by the way. Thanks everyone for your efforts.
Old 2009-07-27, 12:50 PM   #9
TopherS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
I did, but I must have been about nine or ten at the time.
I clearly remember both the driving contest and Mike dropping the briefcase in the courtroom. Funny how certain things stick in one's mind.
All these relplies are rather good, by the way. Thanks everyone for your efforts.
I was only joking about not watching the show...I actually watched it as much as possible. I, too, was only about 10 or so when I watched it. It's true about things sticking in one's mind. Funny thing is that I only saw the "Fender Bender" episode one time...and never have seen it again. I would like to see it again. I just stumbled upon the website about the house/cars. Seems that there is a lot of interest in the subject. Interesting...

My favorite episode was the one where they were playing jokes on each other, pretending there were ghosts in/around the house.
2006 Cadillac SRX
Old 2009-07-27, 13:45 PM   #10
mrtotty

I'm a teacher, and I like to put interesting posters up on the wall in my classroom. The boys who live in there are 11/12.
One of my display posters was a picture of the Brady Bunch, minus Mike, who must have taken the picture. The boys didn't notice very much, except that the Bradys had such perfect teeth (by British standards) and that Alice looked like their French teacher.
It was another story with my colleagues, though. Most had very fond memories of the Bradys, though none of us could remember the middle girl's name.
It seems that early seventies America was a rather fun place!

Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media