Station Wagon Forums  

Go Back   Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Forums > General Station Wagon Discussions

Notices

Old 2009-04-07, 07:30 AM   #1
woshirmao
Wagon Owner

My Garage: 1
Vehicle(s): 1984 oldsmobile custom cruiser station wagon
3rd row seat

My 84 oldsmobile only came with two rows of seats. is it possible to put in a 3rd row seat?

i remeber piling into the car at 5 o'clock in the morning to go on a vacation no matter the weather.
woshirmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2009-04-07, 14:52 PM   #2
Taranau

Vehicle(s): Mercury Colony Park
Red face wingin' it

You appear to have a wagon with the capacity for such things,although I'm not sure if back-back set-ups are inter-changeable.I would suggest inspecting thoroughly,from inside and underside,your car and a car just like it that has the back-backseat you'd like to have.Changing the set-up,if there's no major structural components in the way,could take cutting floors out of your wagon and a donor wagon and swapping entire sections.I used to know someone with a 74 Torino Squire wagon that had the place to put the spare tire and jack,where a back-backseat would be in other wagons---and the space was nowheres near big enough to put seats into.Putting seats in there would've taken extensive open-car surgery. If GM was highly intelligent,at the time,changing back-back set-ups could be a bolt on kind of thing.A local body/upholstery shop might know for sure(fer shur,fer shur)

Last edited by Taranau; 2009-04-07 at 14:55 PM.
Taranau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 15:06 PM   #3
Uberwagon
Wagon Freak.

Vehicle(s): 1991 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, 2008 Jeep Patiot Limited
While I am not 100% sure on the older boxy GM wagons I know the newer 91-96 wagons it is a bolt in swap. Take some digital pics of your cargo area and then go to the junkyard and find another similar GM wagon with the third row seat and compare what they look like. I would think that it should be a bolt in swap but don't quote me on that.
Old 2009-04-07, 15:34 PM   #4
silverfox

Vehicle(s): '96 Chevy "Impala SS" wagon, '91 Chevy Suburban
Detroit did some questionable things, but I would think it would be cost prohibitive to build two different areas in the back of a wagon. Like Uber...I don't know for sure either but...doesn't make sense to me that those areas would be built differently.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 16:33 PM   #5
Stormin' Norman

Vehicle(s): 1979 Fairmont Squire
I'd peel off the carpet and underlay and see if the weldnuts are in place (usually plugged with a rubber grommet). Also get a Chiltons manual from the Library and check the seat/upholstery section for yours. Like SF said, they wouldn't build two floorpans for the same model.
Old 2009-04-07, 16:55 PM   #6
Taranau

Vehicle(s): Mercury Colony Park
The aforementioned Torino Squire and a same year Torino not-Squire wagon with a back-backseat are my only reference points,on this.All I know is the back-back seats from the one would not have fit in the spare tire space in the Squire.Hopefully it's just an unbolt and rebolt or unweld and reweld kind of thing...Oh,and YES,get the Chilton Book on your car!Don't go for any of the copycats.None of them are as good or as complete.Some of them even have steps to do stuff out of sequence.
Taranau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 17:18 PM   #7
Uberwagon
Wagon Freak.

Vehicle(s): 1991 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, 2008 Jeep Patiot Limited
I threw my Chilton and Haynes manuals away (well not really) in favor of a factory service manual. If you can find one for your car I would highly recommend it over any other brand of manual. Side my side with any other manual and nothing compares. For example the Chilton/Haynes mentions nothing about removing the wiper motor of my car when pulling the engine, the Factory Service Manual says to remove it. Well I tried to leave it in place but that was a no go. Oh and the pictures are better too!
Old 2009-04-07, 17:19 PM   #8
Stormin' Norman

Taranau, have they ever had a 3rd seat in a wagon, if the spare is stored in the floor of the cargo area? Hard to imagine. Yours is long enough passed the rearend to let you store it inside the side panel, right?

Gas tanks are usually in a different location, like behind the rearend or in the other side panel.
Old 2009-04-07, 17:28 PM   #9
silverfox

Vehicle(s): '96 Chevy "Impala SS" wagon, '91 Chevy Suburban
What Uber said. Every car I have ever owned I bought the factory shop manual set for it. I do NOT like after market repair manuals. The shop manual sets cost more but you GET a whole lot more. Shop around on Ebay and other sites for the best used prices.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 17:35 PM   #10
Stormin' Norman

Uber, dead on! The factory manuals are the best. I've got all 3, Factory, Chilton's and Haynes. Haynes because I didn't know there was a Chilton's for it, until I searched for it. We used to have the big, bible-sized, thick ones in our scrap business in the 60's. Dad would tell me to get the Bible, and we knew what that meant.

The Chilton stays home when we go for a roadtrip. Ford didn't make Model-specific manuals back then. All their models were in the same series. So you spend too much time flipping from Lincoln to Pinto and the Fairmont got an 'also-ran' paragraph, making you read (See Granada and Maverick for more details). Hopefully GM was better at that.

Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Forums > General Station Wagon Discussions