Need some input about output!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by NOMI WAYGONE, Aug 17, 2014.

1. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    So,after a couple cam swaps and 3 lifter swaps on the old 305,I find that the factory had installed the drivers side valve cover upside down,thus wiping out the cam bearings. Even though it only has 18000 miles the factory won't warranty my 30 yr old wagon soooo............... The new dilemma. The electronic carb has also decided to give up the ghost.So I have the option of a 305 with a regular carb,fresh rebuild stock.A 327(1968)370hp with low miles.A couple of 350's with mild upgrades or a built(mild) 400sbc..So what do y'all think? Plan is to keep the 200r4 trans.Cars mainly going to be for roadtrips/shows. A little extra HP never hurt but still want respectable mileage

2. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    my 59 with the 350 /330 hp crate engine with a 700r4 would do 17.5-18 all the time on the highway at 75 mph

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I'm completely confused. If the cam was swapped twice and the lifters three times that means the valve covers were removed five times. Nothing to do with GM unless Mr Goodwrench did the wrenching. An engine with only 18,000 miles on it shouldn't have needed a new cam unless someone wanted performance.
    And how is an upside down valve cover gonna wear out cam bearings? Most GM valve covers can be put on either side or either direction. So I am confused.
    On the other hand the probable cause of premature engine failure was most likely cheap oil with out ZDDP and zink. Rotella T 15W40 or Delo 400 with a quart of lucas with each oil change and the cam and bearings will be happy.
    As for all of those other engines, why not just fix the one that's in the wagon? And question two what are those engines gonna cost? That would be part of my determining factor.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Early '80's 305's were notorious for wiping out cam lobes. My dad had a brand new '82 Silverado that had to have the cam and lifters replaced twice under warranty, the third time he swapped in a 350 and until this day he steers clear of '80's 305's.

My opinion from what you are wanting to use it for, I like the 350. I have owned all of those SBC engines and to each his own and I liked them all. The 327 is a short stroke engine which equals more wear to me, I had a SBC 400 in a '69 Chevelle had problems running hot. That could be fixed but that is most common problems I heard over the years with them. This is just 1 man's opinion I am basing on my experience and I have only had 1-327 and 1-400 over the years so it's definitely not expert advice just a opinion.

5. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    CatmodelT, we originally found that i had what was thought to be a sticky lifter or 2. We then noticed the factory 305 chevy vavle covers are stright on the top edge and curved on the bottom. When installed upside-down the rocker arms contact the valve cover,causing undue strain on cam bearings. A friend of mines uncle worked at a dealer in the mid 80's and told us what to look for. I never had a clue that some mid 80's chevy's had a slightly different valve cover shape(although i've only ever owned 1 other 305 in a 77 monte)

6. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanks 1tireman! I'm kinda leanin 350 myself,always had good luck with them.My 1-400 also ran warm,and my only 327 was a 550hp monster,only went 1/4 mile at a time so no "road" experience

7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Son is here and he agrees with you on the valve cover shape. After this long it's hard to say whether the factory put it on wrong or someone working on the car later. But I guess that part could have caused the wear.

Son also says a 327 will last as long as any other GM engine and turn more RPM with more HP. He ran a three stage nitros and was turning 10,000 RPM.
    Golly I'm learning things. I'd go with a 350 also.

8. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanks Cat modelT. Don't think I need 10,000rpm or 3 stages of nitrous though:rofl2:.This wagon will eventually be my lady's summer ride,once i find my next project wagon!

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    The more my son stops over and talks about what he's done with cars the more I understand why he ruined so many! Now he told me how the local police closed off the back road so he could race some sports car. He won and the guy sold it! later son said when he later got stopped for something the cop remembered the race and let our son go.
    He was kicked out of Gainesville Raceway because that El Camino was too fast and he didn't have a roll bar and other things. :slap:

10. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    I remember some similar things from my misspent youth!!!!!!! When you work at GM experimental engines through skilled trades program all through highschool and your girlfriends dad is your boss and Della wOODS PIT CREW CHIEF(ONLY FEMALE funnycar drver in 83-85) you'd be amazed at the trouble a kid could get in !!!!!!!

11. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For what it's worth, my opinion:
    Not a fan of the 305's. I've seen too many die early with cam issues, low oil pressure, they seem to work hard for nominal power. I know of many who have them and seem satisfied but the percentage of people I know who have eventually gone to 350's and 400's is quite high. That said, 305's are in tens of thousands of vehicles and get hundreds of thousands of miles on them with minimal issue - a lot of the issues people have comes down to lack of maintenance (oil and filter changes), using them hard, and there were some years where the use by the factory of poor quality parts made them fail early. Also, a more recent issue regardless of which engine you go with is that many aftermarket lifters are now made in an overseas country with major quality issues. The failure rate on lifters has gone up significantly. Buy the best you can - don't go for the cheapest ones on the market.

327's are decent engines, but the 350 for similar $ offers more torque and are nice engines. I've had many of both, would go for the 350 in a daily driver I'm looking to get economy with some decent power out of. It is like the 283 to the 327 - more cubes, more HP without a wild cam, and then 350 is the next step up.

400 - the ones I've owned ran hot, siamese cylinders IIRC is part of the cause. Good power, I never got the kind of mileage (fuel or length of life) out of my 400's as the 350's.

If this were me I'd go with the 350. A good dependable engine - I'd want a mild cam, 4bbl carb (Edelbrock most likely) and good exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust. The 200R4 O/D trans is a good choice.

12. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks safari 57! Think i'm pretty wel sold on the 350 idea as well. After seeing your other post my plan is to tow a vintage camper as well,so i think 350 is probably the only smart choice!

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Don't even think of the 4.4L V8. Fawking POS. And the only 305 I ever had always ran hot and finally blew the head gaskets, severely cracking the heads. It didn't run lean and the cooling system worked well enough, but it just ran hot. If you do a 350 or 400, make sure the trans is up to the higher torque out of the engine.

14. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Personally id go for the 327

400's do run hot but you can always go to a 4 core rad, but they are GAS HOGS!

305's did have cam issues late 70's early 80's but I cannot belive if your valve cover was upside down and making that much contact you heard NOTHING? you had no miss? weird.

I can tell you I have had 307 and 305's that won me boat loads of cash in the demo derby. That lasted me many many years! After a cam, chain and oil pump swap they were fine.

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Let's just stop and think this over. Did you ever find out what the clicking sound was?
    Seems to me like it was a valve cover on wrong which caused lifters and rockers problems which wore out the cam bearings. So you've replaced the cam and bearings. Wouldn't changing the heads be the next move if that's where the noise and main problem was?
    I have the lowly 305 in my 55 Chevy wagon along with Camaro 305 HP heads. That simply means larger valves and heavier springs. Have over 60,000 miles on it and runs fine. wouldn't win any races but it gets us anyplace we want to go...... so far.
    I also had a 305 in a Chevy van that pulled a flat bed over loaded seven trips over 1000 miles each way and then an RV for over seven more years. Only reason i sold it was I wore it out with over 250,000 miles on it and wanted to keep pulling our RV.
    305's are okay most of the time. A good set of rebuilt heads is cheaper than swapping engines right now and you could still take your trip.
    I don't understand this "electric" carburator thing either. I'm asuming an electric choke. Either adjust it or unhook it. It's hot out. Anything is better than travelling in a mini-van!