your thoughts on motorcycles

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by a1awind, Sep 7, 2010.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    im thinking ahead here.

my truck isnt in the best shape, but i can make her last.
    My TiKi should be paid off next year.
    when this happens I was thinking of indulging in a lust ive had for some time.....
    i want a motorcycle!!!!

I have 3 im toying with.

1. Honda Goldwing GL1800....
    possibly the best bike you could possibly have for long trips or long commutes
    couldnt afford a new one as they go for 23k+ and hold their value really well so i would be looking at a 2002 2003 model i just want this body style it would be a stretch in the $$$ dept but it is my dream bike. its powered by a 1800cc flat 6 cyl ...
    [​IMG]

2. triumph scrambler, i might be able to swing a brand new one. it is slightly off-road capable, and sounds awsome with loud pipes its a 900cc parallel twin...
    [​IMG]

3. is the Kawasaki KLR 650, Basically a Road going dirt bike,
    people seem to like these for long trips. it has the smallest engine of the 3 its a 650 single cyl.
    [​IMG]
    I have had my motorcycle lic. since i was 21. and have ridden nothing but my dad or my uncles Harleys since. (im not into them...to me its just a name.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. PineBox

PineBox Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You could get a very cool ride and save lots of money with a Royal Enfield Bullet.
    The modern version of this British bike from the '50s is built in India.
    Over there, its the bike Indians lust for, the way yuppies buy Harleys in the states.
    You'll attract attention wherever you go with one of these 500cc thumpers.
    If you're looking for speed, however, look elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield
    http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/
    http://www.royalenfield.com/international/BulletElectraClassic.aspx
    http://www.pandorapitstop.com/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A neighbour's son had a BMW shaftdrive back in the mid-80s. Noiseless, but could that fly!;)

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think you have to decide whether you want a road bike, off road bike or a fast bike that does a little of both. Bike selection will depend on your life style and how you want to use the bike. Me? I want fast and as comfortable as possible. Gold Wing's are top of the line but way to big for me and I don't want to travel long distances on ANY bike.

5. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    SF iz rite Tiki. You need to do some serious decision making before you lay your $ down. Street or Dirt, You can't have it both ways on one bike and do it well. Commuting, Cruising on weekends or back 'n forth tah work? One word of wisdom: Chose your Helmet by asking yourself how much your Brain is worth! These words come from one who climbed on the first one in 1947 and didn't climb off the last one 'til 1988 so I know from what I speak. Happy Trails, Jer

6. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    AND YES, I STILL MISS THE RUSH:cry: But with one bionic knee and the other one not that far off in the future I felt it waz time to slow done ah little:drink:

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, BB...I miss it too. Big time. But too old with way too many health problems anymore. Sure wish I could do another one, though.[​IMG]

8. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I guess it was back in 1988 or so when I had signed the papers to buy a Yamaha 750, I think it was. They had two leftovers and my buddy bought the other one. He picked his up on a Wednesday night and I was getting mine the next morning. He brought it by to show me and I took it for a ride. Not a good idea. I wiped out on a turn and went sliding along the median eventually being stopped by a light pole. I had road rash so bad, I had to stay in the hospital for ten days.
    I still bought the other bike but had to turn it right over to my buddy since I wrecked his. I haven't been back on a bike since.

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I hate to throw cold water on such things, but you asked for "thoughts on motorcycles," so here we go.

The Fatal Accident Rate (FAR) for motorcycle riding is more than 10 times that for riding in an automobile and more than six times higher than riding a bicycle. If I had people depending on me for a roof over their heads and food to eat (in other words, a wife and kids), I wouldn't consider riding regularly on a motorcycle. Wait until the kids are grown and gone and the house is paid off. Or get a very good life insurance policy.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    we have the ins. policy, and my wife works and makes more than i do.
    i love the thrill of riding, and am well aware of the risk. the problem is motorcycle riding would be significantly safer if people would just look!!!
    you live once and only once...so why sit in a padded room?
    you could get killed just walking to your car.

i like the dual sports because they ride nice and i am looking at using it to commute in the warmer months. the goldwing is my dream bike. because it has all the amenities of a car with the thrill of a bike. i have talked to guys who commute on one...they say it is a great commute bike too!
    i have no real intention of riding off road (I feel off roading is best done in a jeep!). so the whole off road capability is a moot point!

11. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i have looked at the RE, i like them a lot! was seriously considering one (the military) when i found TiKi. i had even called the dealer in Ohio and talked to him about it and he said 60mph is a bit of a stretch for one. my commute is all highway 65+mph and about 24miles each way. he told me to find a different bike.

12. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    as much as i adore old bikes...theres a reason they make you fill out a 'donor' card when you get a motorcycle:rofl2: