your opinions on road trip destinations

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 59 wagon man, Mar 19, 2015.

1. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ok so i'm leaning towards the dodge due to what me be 6000-7000 mile road trip this summer and time between the destinations may need to be watched carefully . so if you have been to,know of , or anything pertaining to visiting the following places please share your thoughts
    1- american museum of speed in lincoln nebraska
    2- historic trails west wagon rides - ride in a conestoga wagon along the old trails
    3-fort casper in casper wyoming
    4- little bighorn battlefield national monument in garrtowen mt
    5-devil's tower national monument wy
    6- mount rushmore sd
    7- the badlands national park sd
    8- minuteman missle silo national park sd
    9 - wounded knee museum or actual massacre site on the pine ridge reservation
    10- pioneer auto show in murdo sd
    11- the 1880's town in murdo sd
    12 - crazy horse memorial
    13- deadwood sd
    this is just what i'm thinking about on my way to the hot rod power tour this summer kind of a roundabout way from fla to madison wisconsin

ps- the pic below is from octobers roadtrip . the house on the left is george washington's quarters at valley forge

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If I were planning this, I'd choose five to see, and I'd allow the family to vote for their favorite ten, so that the top five vote-getters are your destinations and the itinerary would be written accordingly. Bear in mind, just about every destination has a webpage, reachable via Google, so the family can campaign for each of their choices.

3. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:
    if the family was going i know i couldnt even get to half .may just be me and one of my buddys

4. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    1- american museum of speed in lincoln Nebraska -- Very cool place
    2- historic trails west wagon rides - ride in a conestoga wagon along the old trails - Sounds fun!
    3-fort casper in casper Wyoming - haven't been there
    4- little bighorn battlefield national monument in garrtowen mt -
    haven't been there, could be an interesting time
    5-devil's tower national monument wy - Very cool place, amazing scenery
    6- mount rushmore sd -- Gotta go there, very impressive
    7- the badlands national park sd -- Incredible scenery, must-see
    8- minuteman missle silo national park sd -- Missile Silos are cool, check it out
    9 - wounded knee museum or actual massacre site on the pine ridge reservation -- Don't hang around after dark
    10- pioneer auto show in murdo sd - Haven't been there
    11- the 1880's town in murdo sd - Same
    12 - crazy horse memorial - Definitely see this!
    13- deadwood sd - Fun place.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ohhh...kaaayyyy....

Seriously, lucky you. I've always loved long-distance road travel, and don't really get to do it lately.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Go West Young man

My wife is my buddy. But it sounds like fun to get away with a friend.
    Since you like history and scenery I'd just point that wagon west and pick a stie. From there just get together and choose another until you run out of time, money, and or energy!
    By the way make sure your GPS is working. You can't tell left from right.:rofl2:

7. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Who needs a damn GPS? That's what paper road maps are for. Seriously! I've yet to use a GPS for travel. Ever. I have a very well-developed ability of not getting lost.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yup. Exactly. And A) a map won't have wrong streets; B) you can take the map with you if you break down.

9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Follow that red line.

My wife bought me a GPS years ago. It's still in the box. Why would I want another woman telling me where to go when I have my wife telling me where to go?
    As far as getttig lost. We've camped and I pulled RV's many years. I have the habit of taking short cuts off the beaten path. Yes I have gotten lost but also found the nicest campgrounds and friendliest people that way!

I have never used a GPS and probably wouldn't know how to use it. I get a kick out of so many people who can't drive without one. My neighbor one block over uses his when I ride 8 miles to town with him. It tells him when he's at the Murphy gas station across from Wally World. He goes there nearly everytime he's in town.
    My oldest son came down from central Illinois 1000+ miles, all on simple hghways. His GPS sent him a different way than I always tell him and he ended up 8 miles past our place in the town because some woman told him where to go. Why everyone where we are from takes I-75 I'll never know. I-65 is just fine.
    He then left here to go to Panama City Beach. The best way is a scenic route along the Gulf. I even wrote it down! That same GPS woman sent him up thru the pine trees where they saw miles and miles..... of pine trees!
    On the way back to Illinois I emailed my directions. He actually followed them but the GPS lady kept telling him to turn because he was off route. I saved him a trip thru downtown Springfield, Illinois which is crowded and confusing. He complained because he went a few miles out of his way.
    As for a map. I rarely go anyplace I haven't been so just follow my memory.
    Our forefathers went all the way to Kalifornia without a GPS in their wagons.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Our forefathers went across the length and breadth of this country, making their maps as they went. John Frank Stevens went across the Northern reaches of our country for the Great Northern Railway, sighting Marias Pass in Montana and Stevens Pass here in Washington, being the first white man to surmount the Eastern slopes of the Cascade Range, and doing so without any maps at all.

11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Yes but he was headed to Mexico and made a wrong turn!

Back during WWII my mom dorve a 1934 Chevy out to Oregon and back to Illinois with just a free paper map from the Shell station.
    Sadly people are now dependant on gadjets to get them down town.
    Even sadder our three year old grandson was reportedly playing games on his daddys phone when he was supposedly visiting our oldest son and his newly adopted baby. He was overheard on the way home wanting to continue playing games. Our second son pointed to a cow and mentioned those things are good to eat. The poor little kid didn't know that and went back to his computer games.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  12. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    My Grandfather rode a brand-new 1926 Harley-Davidson with a buddy (had a sidecar!) from Pueblo, CO to Los Angeles. I remember him telling me about the trip, which took them into Indian Country (northern NM and AZ), to the Grand Canyon, and then through Kingman, AZ on to Los Angeles, with about 100 total miles of paved roads (not including Rt 66)! From Gallup, NM to Los Angeles, much of the road was the then-new and fresh US 66! Took them about nine days. Somewhere, I have a picture of him and the bike, standing next to the edge of the Grand Canyon. What an adventure THAT was! And all with a few basic maps...and a good instinct!

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Wrong way, Corrigan!

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    :ttiwwp:(y):thumbs2:

15. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:
    I grew up using paper maps so that doesn't worry me, the dodge has built in navigation so it is easier sometimes to use it then trying to fold a paper map . Bad thing about the gps is when your out of range like today in white springs fl and even the female voice had a brain frat that almost left us stranded ,good thing I recognized where we were