Wrecked 1972 Chevy (forum members car)

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by SwannyMotorsports, Dec 16, 2016.

1. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

$4,050 for a wrecked wagon????? WOW

IMG_0167.PNG

2. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

3. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

That's really tragic. Anyone know what happened?

4. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Yes, I did install a 500HP crate motor. Not necessarily just to have fun, but to make it more reliable on our road trips. So, on our annual pilgrimage to Wyoming to Washington and we were about 3.5 hours a way and my wife saw a huge black bear. We turned around on the 2 lane highway without any shoulder to get a picture of the bear. We got side swiped by a passing car.

No Wagon1, I wasn't hot rodding it. We got hit by another car, an accident ya know?

We had to have the car towed to the Tri-Cities area and rent a car for the rest of our trip. The body shop that it sat at simply could not locate all of the parts, the main parts they could not locate were the trim moulding that goes around the vinyl wood grain sticker. I wanted to get it fixed but repainting the entire car was not an option, therefore the insurance company totaled it and gave me the $10,000 my car was insured for. I could have bought the car back for $2100, then paid $1000 to have it trailered to Wyoming, pay $100 a month for storage, and get at least my motor back but decided it was not worth the hassle. So someone obviously in Washington bought the car from the insurance company.

I even reached out on this board for someone to help locate the trim molding but no one could help. I searched all over this country because I really wanted my wagon back.

It sucks we lost our wagon. I have been looking for another but seriously doubt I will find on in the condition ours was when we bought it.

5. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I wonder who was selling it. If it was the shop that was fixing it they are complete assholes for bidding up the car and being oh so sincere about wanting to fix it for me but obviously had different motives.

6. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

7. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I wonder who sold it? After they totaled it I offered to buy it back because of the motor but I would have had to pay $2100 for it, ship it down to Wyoming then store it until I could pull the motor and put it in another wagon so I elected not to buy it back. Their insurance company gave me the $10,000 I had it insured for.

8. SwannyMotorsports

It was on the Copart auction site. It is a site for insurance companies to sell there salvaged vehicles. I would have bought it back for the $2,100. You could have bought a 72 sedan for the entire front clip and drivers door and been patient to find the trim. I loved this wagon. I really thought about bidding on it. But it would have cost me another $1,000 to get it home.

Sorry your wagon was wrecked, but atleast you and your family are safe!!!! That's all that matters

WagonKiller and impact like this.
  9. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Man that sucks, but Swanny is right: Your family is safe and that's all that matters. I too thought about bidding on your wagon, but after moving to SD my new garage was too small for another clamshell. In fact the box wagon I have now barely fits lol.

Are you planning to get another wagon?

10. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

It was a difficult decision. I ended up finding a fender, door and inner fender, I simply could not find the trim molding anywhere. The problem is almost every one of the clam shells ended up in the demolition derby's across the United States. Happy the family was safe, super bummed about the wagon.

11. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

The search is on!! I know it will be difficult to find one in the condition ours was.

Glide-Aways likes this.
  12. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck in your search! :thumbs2:

13. SwannyMotorsports

Do you only want a Caprice wagon? Or will any 71-76 Chevy work?

WagonKiller likes this.
  14. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I really loved your wagon and considered buying it from you when you offered it. At least you were enjoying it and not drag racing as what cross my mind the first time. I think if you had a shout out on this site we would have been able to help, but I didn't see your post. It was hidden in the cosemetic/restoration section rather than the want ad.

I know where trim is for this car...you just need to ask the right people. A salvage yard wont help you when it comes to these cars.

15. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I feel your pain.