What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

finily got shifter worked out. and miss savoy is getting rewired one of these days 20221105_091852[240].jpg 20221105_091628[239].jpg

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Pretty exciting!

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks frightening to me. Good luck with that.

4. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Because my wife frequently is the driver of the Safari and she's much shorter than I am with the bench seat my knees were up against the dash and it was quite uncomfortable. I pulled the original interior and replaced it. I still have the original, which had been reupholstered in the late 60's or early 70's by the owner at the time, tucked away. I did this while recovering from heart surgery so it took me a long time but it's now much more comfortable to ride in. Surprisingly the back seats fold down the same way, with the added bonus of one of the backs being split so there are times when that comes in handy. I also put a lot of sound deadener in at the time and that has also made a big difference.
    upload_2022-11-8_19-3-32.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_19-4-51.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_19-6-18.jpeg upload_2022-11-8_19-25-42.jpeg

Then, while waiting for another round of hospital time, and much to my dismay no longer able to do my own engine rebuild, I found a couple of fellows on the Island who only work on classics and hotrods, super people who really care about their customers and do quality work, rebuilt the engine for me while I was recuperating. It runs really well, tows the Airstream with zero problems.

Since then we've used it for daily cruising around the Island. We pack a picnic basket, the crib board and cards, and go find a nice beach to relax at and as much as possible take the winding tree lined back roads. My ability to go distances is still an issue but we go for most of a day and during the warm months twice a week has been the usual thing for us.

Attached Files:

5. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

scary for me too lol, having a pro doit

fannie likes this.
  6. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

7. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

great job on the interior

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

So, I finally got a working distributor in Roger, but he's running very lean, so lean that barely cracking the throttle nearly stops his engine. Remember how I put a new Frame filter in, and thought the engine originally stopped because of the possibility the filter ripped apart, gummed up the works? Well, I pulled the fuel rail, to pull the injectors out and inspect the tops for paper. Well, no paper, but a bunch of rust! It seems that when I put the last gas in, it must've had water in the gas. Since Roger sat for several days, the water likely separated out, in both the rail, and the tank. Of course, a fine time for my distributor to go bad, very unlucky for me. So, I bought a couple red bottles of Heet, and I'll be reassembling the rest of the induction tomorrow (waiting on a plenum gasket), and God willin', the creek don't rise, Roger will be back on the road.

JackWagon and OrthmannJ like this.
  9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Shouldn't be there since gas is already 10% alcohol which should absorb it. I doubt if it'll help cause you must have gotten a really big slug of water. Either that or you need to quit using that gas which you siphon from those junk cars yer always scrounging for parts. :evilsmile:

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I, Sir, have not done that since the first time I did it! Boy, was that a costly rookie mistake! That was, oh, thirty years ago?
    Anyway, the 10% already in the fuel usually has absorbed what it can; the problem these days is the use of water ballast in the tank, for some odd reason, and of course, when the tanker tops the tank, the contents get stirred up. So I'll just play the odds, Roger's tank was only half full when it quit, but quitting from water ingestion is plausible.

11. OrthmannJ

Looks awesome Barry. I really wish I would have put that foil-back sound deadener in when I did the interior refresh on the Fury. Definitely planning on doing it on my next project.

12. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I knew the sound deadener would make a difference but had no idea how much until the first ride and it's significantly better. The biggest difference was in the doors and quarter panels. It adds heft to the car but well worth the investment.

JackWagon, wylee and Steve-E-D like this.
  13. OrthmannJ

I put down some stuff that helped, but it didn't have the affect I was hoping for. It's alright though, I'm still very pleased with how it came out overall. Just a little nugget to keep for the next project.

14. warnerman62

warnerman62 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just pulled the trigger on this 1968 Chrysler T&C.
    383 4bbl, dual exhausts.
    All it needs is power windows and 1970 Rallye wheels, 15 in.

Attached Files:

kevdupuis, 60Mercman and wylee like this.
  15. OrthmannJ

Awesome. Looks like a real sweetheart.

warnerman62 likes this.