Think I could get some advice on a good muffler?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Dead Reckon, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

Ah alright, I like the sound of 'em, they are at the peak of my price range for a set of mufflers, $180-200 for two. That assembly of Hotchkis suspension parts is not cheap.

Uh, according to these guys, I do;

[​IMG]

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Dead Reckon this thread of yours went completely--------off topic !:nohijacking: :) As for Dewey,:rant: I'm :sorry:Most of them are just "wasting time on forums anyway. I did say MOST OF THEM.
    I never mentioned your name! "
    You've been very helpful here even though Doug may not think so. :hide: But I'm staying undercover till you find the muffler bearings. It's all Tedy's fault!:evilsmile:

64country, you need a new Elio as your daily driver.

3. Dead Reckon

Hey, I stayed on topic, even found a photo of johnny law's current ride, that's relevant 'cause if he doesn't like my muffler choice, he'll make it VERY clear. :D

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I discovered that any muffler I used on any car I didn't like after awhile for some reason. Too loud. Too quiet. Too much resonance at certain speeds.
    And altho I have never had a cross over X or Y pipe I can ssee that they may help some. I just didn't want to bother with the extra welding, clamping, and bulky pipes under the drive shaft.
    Someone mentioned that it would be a safety in case the drive shaft U-joint broke. I have never lost a drive shaft. Yes I have replaced many U-joints. But if you can't tell they are going bad you shouldn't be driving anyway. Therefore adding an X pipe for that reason is not valid. And I really doubt the exhaust would remain in position with a drive shaft thrashing around above it, leaving even more to worry about.

5. Dead Reckon

Yeah, that's pretty much my thought on it, besides, I'm not going for a super high performance setup, though I am going for a TCI Streetfighter trans kit, comes with a cooler and a 2400RPM electronic lockout converter, they're great for off the line speed and highway cruising, both of which I care about. MOST of my money is going in the suspension, a good $1,500-2,000 worth, 'cause, this is why:

Stock '87 Caprice 9C1 30MPH through a slalom course 30MPH (Police package for those of you not aware)

[​IMG]

With all the Hotchkis parts I plan to install, still 30MPH:

[​IMG]

So, after derailing my own thread for a moment, back on the note of exhaust, I want an aggressive tone between curves when I'm flogging it, I think the 40's will do that.

6. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Dead: The cross over does 2 things: First it allows for better scavenging, so you end up with slightly better performance and fuel economy. According to the exhaust system test done by Hot Rod Magazine, the difference with an H is significant, and the X was better again. I have had both, and the X did provide better economy, by a small margin. The other benefit is, as I said before, muffler damage. If you hit something while on the road, you could save your engine by having the back pressure even between the sides. That is the difference between being able to drive home and maybe needing a tow if one muffler got seriously compromised. That applies to both having a muffler crushed as well as a muffler torn off, both of which I have experienced. And no, I do not go off roading in my Thunderbirds. Just contstruction on the roads and some killer pot holes.

7. Dead Reckon

I'm not too worried about murderous pot holes or speed bumps around here, the way the mufflers sit on my car tucks 'em up between the frame rails and driveshaft. An X or H pipe seems like it would make it hang lower than that, which would put everything in a position to get whacked by murderous pot holes or speed bumps.