Sedan Delivery when glass is unavailable?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Stormin' Norman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I almost did make my Fairmont into a Sedan Delivery because the dealer took 4 months to find a new Tailgate glass and one rear quarter side window. The bill was covered the first time, under my insurance because it was attempted theft. The second time, it was ruled as vandalism, so I coughed up the first $200. But I drove around for 4 months with 6 mil plastic and duct tape.

But I wondered if anyone has done the conversion (to a Sedan Delivery).

As these babies get older, and more kids feel their mischievious oats, glass will get hard to get.

If you dark tint windows, you're up for a ticket. But if you change to metal panels, what would happen?

If you used some of the new glass-coated acrylics on those as a substitute, you probably get away with it, until some anal cop noticed you didn't have the SAE code sandblasted in the bottom corner.

What has been your experience?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. 80cutlass

80cutlass New Member Charter Member

dang man my neighbor behind me has got two fairmonts sittin in the side of his house i should have just stolen the glass for ya,,,,just kidding,,,,but seriously he,s got two fairmonts just sittin there it,s a shame,,,,i,ve looked and am seriously contemplating the seedan delivery thing for the maliboo,,,it really would not be that much work and in my opinion would look good ,,,, i used to see a maliboo that was converted to a panel wagon and looked really nice,, although that one had the rear doors welded shut and used the stock front doors instead of transplanting two door doors which i think on the g- body cars generally looks better,,,,and i thought i had seen an artist rendition years ago that used a faimont as the basis for a panel and it looked good,, i think as long as the panels are fitted up in place of the windows is done correctly it would would way kool,,, :dance:

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Have you been to the Taillightking.com website? All he does is attend car-meets and buys and sells taillights and parking lights and mirrors, almost all of them used or repros.

Nobody is doing anything like that with glass parts.

Insurance companies up here will only accept used units from the vehicle owner, and the installers will only install them if you sign off on any warranty.

I saved all the donor car glass (2 door sedan), but the replacements for mine, installed cost $900.00! There's a dollar in there for a guy who can make good shipping crates, and find guys like your neighbour who'd part with the glass or the cars.

I can't see why well-installed metal panels wouldn't be acceptable, because a lot of small cars get modified for delivery service (pizza, electronics, locksmiths, etc.)

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Stormin...they cant ticket you for tinting the side & back windows...only the windshield and drivers and passenger windows have to be clear

if they harrass you....just register it as PANEL:)

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I like the sound of that, Rev!:dance:

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

The rules are the same in California. Do what you want with rear glass....just don't touch the front door glass or windshield.

A freind of mine has dark tint on his driver and passenger door because he's had skin cancer on his arms so California issued him a permit allowing the dark tint. He only had to provide a signed letter from the Doc.

Almost every rule is made to be broken! I can't get around the emissions test tho even if I register the Cougar as a "historic" vehicle. Even if I certify that I use it less than 2k miles per year. Maintaining the emissions may get iffy when the parts supply dries up.

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I'll make some cardboard templates while the glass is off and then get some panels ready for future use. Can you imagine a 20 LCD panel on the inside to watch videos? Dolby surround sound speakers? A bar on the other side?

Why didn't I like wagons when I was young and stupid!!!? It's never too late, second child-hood is coming up in about 30 more years!:lolup:

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Well, thanks! That's a good lead. I'm going to reinstall my own once the painting is done, but I'll pass that onto the General Manager/Owner of my local Ford Dealership. He's a hands-on guy, even though he's the biggest in the city.

We're such a small Province here, that you'll often find many of the big boys at car meets with their own rides! The Premier (State Governor) hangs out with his 57 T-Bird convert on the sunday night cruises, as do others.

Big city but sleepy-hollow-ish. That's why we call it Friendly Manitoba.

1.1 million people in an area that's half the size of Mexico. We've got more cows or pigs than people. It's the Prairies - ranchers and grain farmers. Nice country.