sea foam vs. Lucas gas additive

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by tsynek, Jan 2, 2010.

1. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm confused, both are respected brands. Which one should I put in with each tank of gas Lucas "injector Cleaner", Sea Foam motor treatment, or should I alternate?

2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

I use Seafoam as a one time thing when there are specific problems like perhaps a dirty carb or fuel system. I use a little of the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant perhaps every 2nd or 3rd tank just to keep the injectors and head clean. It's supposed to remove carbon and crap from the piston tops and valves.

3. KarlT_10

KarlT_10 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've tried both- from seat of pants no way to tell which is working or not, or which one would do more.

I will say there shouldn't be any reason you would ever need one at each fill. Both items are a cleaner- it's not like needing to add a lead alternative. I use them maybe twice a year- once in Spring before a road trip, and same in Fall on latest expected road trip. I figure 4-6 hours of steady driving 75mph should be the perfect environment for a cleaner to work.

Then again, I use QT ethanol blend fuel and so I'm likely wasting my time and money even using a fuel system cleaner....

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't use either on EVERY fill up. Just use them occasionally. Frankly, when I do run some through, I just use the cheap Walmart stuff....all the same ingredients for the most part.

5. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    What about Lucas "not street legal" octane booster. It's the only octane booster I know of that says "not street legal"by the way. I really notice a difference with this stuff in my 96 civic ex, but I haven't tried it yet in my chevys.

I asked a auto parts guy about sea foam and he said Berryman's B12 is just as good as seafoam. Although Seafoam goes in crankcase and fuelsystem, B12 just goes in fuel. Another auto parts guy disagreed, stating Sea foam was better with regards to fuel treatment. I wish a big car company would study these various products for us and tell us which they found to be be better.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. HandyAndy

And even if they did the debate would continue on endlessly over here:
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The only additive I ever use is gasline antifreeze. One per tankful. People forget about how that thin little gasline is getting frosted over under the car, driving through freezing weather. You soon learn not to drive without it, when you're stuck on the side of a Prairie highway, wondering why it sputters every 5 miles, and starts after the engine heat passes under the car and warms up the line enough to start and sputter some more.

I think metal feels windchill too, and at 60 MPH in below freezing weather, its just dumb not to drop a 4 oz bottle in the tank. Worth every cent. And I've had the frozen fingers and toes to prove it.:taz:

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup....no doubt, Normy. In cold climates the stuff is a must. Just condensation in the tank can bring you down. I just put some in when I fill up.

9. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for turning me on to that site Handy Andy, Now I'll have to add Marvel Mystery Oil to my Additive addiction list:drink:. Seems like many of the guys on Bobs oils site put MMO in gas and oil.

10. HandyAndy

I'm an Auto-Rx fan myself.