New wagon on the familly

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by chevy230, Oct 6, 2012.

1. chevy230

chevy230 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The back seat rocking with this button. The back go down and a small metal plate occurs the floor which become straight.
    p1150455.jpg
    p1150456.jpg
    p1150457.jpg

2. chevy230

chevy230 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    My LTD have a 400 ci. You understand that this is not the queen of the dragstrip .... . however the torque is good and we can drive it kool.
    p1150469.jpg
    p1150470.jpg
    p1150471.jpg

3. knagy389us

knagy389us Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the great shots! Brings back memories of the one we had. That hood ornament and the third seat are burned in my memory!

4. sllew

sllew Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    beautiful car.... great score!! i too saw this one on ebay and i drooled then too

5. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That really is a nice sled and one you should be very proud of. I really like the green (I really am a child of the 70s). Judging from the earlier picture it looks like your daily driver would almost fit inside of the new wagon. :D

mike

6. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

My new 78 Grand Marquis also has the 400. As you say, no dragster, but there are ways to improve things. A good, well engineered dual exhaust will free up both horsepower and gas mileage. That done, with a good tune up, and everything set up right, 10L/100kms is very attainable. If you upgrade the transmission to a mechanical AOD, you should be able to get the consumption down to about 7.5 or 8 L/100kms. Those are the plans for "Bertha" as money becomes available. The armrests in these full sized Ford and Mercury cars seem to be a problem. I am giving serious thought as to how to adapt the ones from the 77 - 79 Thunderbird, since they are similar in design, but don't seem to break nearly as easily. I think it has to do with more gentle curves around the handle. Dash pads are always a problem in these cars. The sun gets them. It is possible to repair them as long as the substrate is intact. Another issue for me to deal with on Bertha as well. I have to say that is one very, very sweet car you have there! Enjoy her. You may find that the Audi sits in the garage a lot more than you planned! Those old Fords really do drive very nicely indeed!

7. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like you did very well! That's a great looking FORD wagon!!

8. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    I would recommend trying to recondition the weatherstripping seals you have rather than remove and attempt to replace them. Roof rail weatherstrips is what they're called. They make them for 2-door cars but hardly ever the sedans or wagons. My idea now for my 4-door Gran Torino is to find the nicest set I can used, and then coat them and fill in the gaps and cracks with black rtv silicone while installed, then once dry, hope it is pliable enough. We will see.