Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by highpockets58, Feb 28, 2012.

1. highpockets58

highpockets58 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey everyone. Highpockets from S.D. here. I have a 58 Ford Courier Sedan Delivery,,mild custom. I have owned it since 1972, but never really got it finished till 1999. Now, after a lot of years and a lot of miles,,,I am planning a small redo on it. It is currently a 302 with a T5 manual, but I am going to swap in a 390 and C6 for it. When I bought it in 72,,,all my friends had Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, etc. and they thought I was totally nuts...What the h**l do you want a wagon for??? I told them that it would be cool someday. Now,,,I still have it and it is definately cool while my friends are all driving late model crap. Who's nuts now??? LOL.

Attached Files:

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Highpockets!!! That is an absolutely gorgeous wagon!!! We wagon nuts put up with lots of flack from some people, but in the end we are the smart ones every time.

:Welcome:

3. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, great lookin' wagon!

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Man that's beautiful, Highpockets!

I'm seeing quite a bit of detail work there......
    I think your ride is worthy of an additional post or thread telling us all about it. I'd like to know where that grill came from, for one thing......

Welcome!

Marshall

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, pockets. That is an insanely gorgeous car.:tiphat:
    Love to see more and hear more about that one!:yup:

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:highpockets58 Of course you're totally nuts. So you should fit right in. Great lookin wagon. Maybe with fuel costs going so high you may want to rethink the larger engine swap. Whatever you do, keep us posted and let us know more about your 58 as it sits. :clap:

7. straycat12

straycat12 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madness ! YouLL FIT IN HERE JUST FINE ,:idea: Can't wait to see MORE pics! :camera: , ARE WE CRAZY OR JUST SLY AS A FOX

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well.....I can only speak for me.:biglaugh:

9. pt61v

pt61v New Member

Love the wagon, welcome.

10. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, highpockets!
    What a gorgeous wagon...can't wait to learn more about it!

11. highpockets58

highpockets58 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Little more info on the 58 Courier

Here's a little more info on my 58 Courier. It came from the factory with 58 front end and 57 back end,,,just like the 58 Ranchero did. 3,352 total production. I met a guy back in 99 who had one and they had done some research on them and there were supposedly 76 remaining then. The grill is from a 1958 Canadian Ford Meteor,,,minus the center star. Tail lights are (inner) 1958 Olds tunneled in a few inches. Outer tail light trim is from 1951 Plymouth headlight rings. A few body mods are filled seams in the front clip and rear 1/4s, handle on tail gate removed,,,electric latch. The rear glass was originally a 3 piece, but is now a 1 piece from a 58 standard wagon. Seats are late model Ford Explorer. Center seat/arm rest is from a Dodge Dakota. There never were any rear seats,,,just flat back there. I bought the car in 1972. It had been parked in the trees,,retired from driving because it was so rusty. I paid the farmer $150 for it, pumped the tires up, installed a battery, put in some gas and backed it out and drove it away....true story. Original 6 cylinder, 3 speed. I drove it for a year like that, then installed a 390 with 4 speed. I had it mechanically done and then found out that no body shop would take it on...said it was beyond fixing. I pulled the motor and trans and put them in a 58 sedan and parked the Courier,,,,till 1997. Still no body shop would work on it, so I tackled some of it myself. I cut the windshield posts off and the floor about 1 foot behind the seat,,,replaced that whole big chunk. I had never even replaced a rocker panel before that. After getting that done and rear 1/4s put on,,,a body shop buddy of mine decided that it was worth doing, so he did the final body work and paint. It was finished in 1999 and we have driven it a bunch,,,35,000 miles so far without a single issue. It is showing some wear with rock chips and scuffs, but still looks pretty good considering what it was when I started. The small block to big block swap is maybe foolish, but I am building an older Mustang and need a SB for it and have a nice fresh 390 sitting here to go back in the Courier. I am going to go with tall rear gears and hopefully won't lose too much MPG. Any other questions,,,just ask. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

12. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: and(y) DEEP POCKETZ...errr HIGH POCKETS:D I'm old enough to remember that ride when It came off the assembly line in Pico-Ravera. I built 'um there in '59 and '60 there:evilsmile: One thing I gotta ask tho' and I'll prefface it first by saying I like your ride and I probably have a short circut in the memory banks:banghead3: How did you tie together a '58 front end with '57 tail litez? that would have included a T-gate swap:49:? I don't see enough back litez on that '58:49::49::49::49: WAGONZ-HO, Jer:wave:

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Because of the lift-up one-piece gate design on the Courier (sedan delivery), Ford didn't want to re-tool for a whole new piece just for the '58's - so they just used the '57 gate (and tail lghts) - on the Couriers only.

14. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome - nice ride! I want to put a 5 speed in mine. If you're going to sell the 5 speed I may be interested. Thanks.

15. highpockets58

highpockets58 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I tried to reply with more info,,,but I don't see that thread here. I will see if this message attaches...(computer skill challenged geezer)