New guy, Old T&C

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by bredlo, May 1, 2012.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Bredlo, loved the video. Thanks.
    Now git-er-done!
    I have a friend below Orlando with an early Dodge wagon. He used a custom chassis and updated engine.
    He is responsible for me joining this forum.

2. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    As for your reply KK, the modern Hemi would be cheaper and more dependable with better fuel mileage. As seen in the video, there are people who have done it and I am sure others who could give ideas how to make it work.

3. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Both good options -- just different ways to skin the same cat I suppose. Christ, who came up with that awful colloquialism anyhow?

We need to balance the enjoyment of a dead-reliable powerplant with as good a MPG-to-power ratio as can be achieved. KK makes a valid point, tho: the fewer unnecessary gadgets, the better. My willingness to learn more will mean we're less reliant on outside help when things need tweaking or adjusting. That greatly increases our options for every component of the project.

4. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not technically hung up on the notion of going with an LS1 (or something like that) at all, actually - and I haven't ruled anything out yet.

So far, the Hemi talk is more about my desire to avoid rolled eyes, grunts of disgust or a black eye every time someone asks about the car at gas stations... parking lots... stoplights... campgrounds... :49: Again, an esoteric and non-practical quality, I mean who the hell cares what anyone else thinks?

But then again, if all things were equal... I'd stick with Mopar for the good karma.

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I agree, it's your wagon and you can play with it anyway you like.
    Still, I like the same brand in a vehicle. Ford/Ford Chevy/Chevy etc.
    The late Hemi just makes sense to me. But rarely do I ever make sense! :slap:
    just different ways to skin the same cat But this makes me nervous!
    I hate that name. Wished I'd used ModelT something else. But originally my friend set me up with my email starting out cat and it went from there. Kinda works since I drove truck for a CAT and went by Model T on CB.
    Personally I like the 53 flathead that's in your wagon. Yea right. I still remember the fluidish drive in my old Dodge. :slap:

6. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, all.

Been a little while... and though nothing has changed with the Tow & Country's status: drivable, fun, and with a fantastic, throaty growl to that flathead 6 - the Airstream, on the other hand, is embarking on the first in a series of several major surgeries that constitute a complete, custom renovation.

Since we're leaving Sunday for the restoration shop in Ohio, I thought I'd pull it out of the little side driveway and finally see our two antique cuties side by side. I also wanted to get an impression of how far out our yet-to-be-built hitch receiver will need to extend. I also was curious whether we'll be able to use our tailgate when towing; it looks like we won't. It simply folds too far down, and will likely interfere with the bulky Hensley hitch, and even the hand-cranked jack. Thus, we'll simply roll down the window to load / unload while on vacation, and the dogs can use the rear passenger doors.

Back to the trailer: it'll begin its "shell-off" restoration with:
    a new marine-grade plywood subfloor; several exterior body panels replaced; fresh, gray and black water tanks, new insulation, wiring, propane lines, modern ceiling fans with thermostats and rain sensors... and more.

When we get her back in August I'll polish the aluminum to a mirror shine, lay new cork flooring, and build all new cabinetry inside.

As for upgrades to the wagon, it'll be minor for now. I'm hoping to snag front coil springs from a '53 New Yorker tomorrow. Should be a fraction of the $175/pair they want at Moparts.com. Ideally, this will bring us back up 3 or 4 inches to factory ground clearance.

The last photos shows the other little trinket I'll be picking up tomorrow as well: a late 40's to early 50's Desoto Suburban roof rack - a fairly rare little piece of jewelry, from the research I've done. I feel it's a perfect match with the T&C, aesthetically. Not only do I adore the thick, masculine look of them - and the heavy chrome that compliments the bumpers... but it was obviously designed to carry heavy luggage from airports to hotels... and is also quite long. I plan on carrying our antique canoe on it, and the rack will have the wooden slats, too - mirroring the varnished wood bed inside.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You are a lucky guy, bred! You will be king of the road in those 2 rigs!(y):D

8. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, Bred, those two together look dynamite. I see a new avatar picture in your future.

Funny, we towed a '51 Flying Cloud behind the Safari for 7 years and the combo looked a lot like yours. Now we are towing a '60 Tradewind - well, we will be when I finish fixing the brakes.

If that roof rack fits it will be quite the looker with the canoe on top. So, one question, where are the bikes and the spare tire for the trailer going to be kept? We have folding bikes to use when towing with the wagon, and I managed to find one of the original spun aluminum spare tire covers which I'm now moving from the '51 to the '60 so that takes care of that. I am looking at the bike racks from Quebec that go over the propane tanks as an option as we find the folding bikes just too limiting for anything but flat ground biking, something we don't have much of where we play.

By Ohio do you mean the mother ship?

9. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks! I'm not sure if my sweet wife Melissa will be ready for all the extra attention... :grouphug: but I'll try my best to oversee the impromptu tours and Q&A's so she doesn't have to.

Nice. Those will look fantastic together. Tradewind, yikes. This seems almost unnaturally long just with a 22 footer! :49:

I'll leave a few inches front and back for visual breathing room, and will probably buy new chrome round bars so it can be whatever length we want. I may also try and reproduce the 6 cast stands to sell (might as well let my toys work for me!) in which case I'd probably flatten the feet a bit in the wax mold stage. The Desoto had a steeply curved roof.

Same same: a pair of 26" wheel folding Dahons, and I found a polished spare tire cover as well. Been thinking of reproducing those as well, actually: several folks on the Airforums expressed interest when I brought it up, so maybe we'll do a group investment and make a big batch.

P&S Trailer, in Helena. Stellar reputation. We'll have them do all the boring, behind-the-scenes stuff. Then we'll tackle the rest to save some bucks.

10. shelby7789

shelby7789 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just beautiful.

11. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Shelby, appreciate that!

Interestingly, a light blue '54 T&C which sold for $43K in March at an RM auction is now listed on eBay. Its new owner is asking $59K.

I doubt it has appreciated that much in just 8 weeks (or that twenty grand was sunk into it in that time) but it'll be interesting to see if someone makes them an offer they can't refuse.

I'm pretty confident the current owner repainted the roof in a darker, saturated blue. But I'm comparing indoor vs. outdoor shots.

Interesting business model for the seller: attempting to flip a top dollar item via eBay. Potentially wider audience, I suppose... but a big step backwards in the target audience, if you ask me.

Photo of the RM auction: rear view - eBay: front view.

Attached Files:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I looked at this car on ebay...it's a pretty car but he won't get $59,500 IMHO. Truth be told...I'll take your 53 with the original alligator seats. The seats in the 54 blue one you show are nice but don't look original. I like the Hemi but the Chrysler 6 of that era was a strong engine and no slouch when it came to torque even though it was not a tire burner.
    This is another case where a broker/dealer bought a car he knows nothing about and lops on another $20k and writes pretty copy and takes pretty pix and expects to make a big profit. I hate flippers.

13. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Geez Bred, crazy pricing for these things. Not bad as a seller but a bummer if one is looking to purchase.

I was reading a Hemmings the other day that has a monthly update on auctions and they noted that one of the cars sold at an auction in the south east was heading out west to a dealers lot. I guess the dealers can make a fair dollar if they can afford to purchase back east, ship it west, then carry it financially until it sells. An interesting way to make some bucks.

We are at a Tin Can Tourists camp out, early arrivals include a 67 Dodge Polara wagon, a 41 Chevy sedan delivery, CS54's 54 Ford wagon, a 50 Chevy Suburban, a '65 Chevy Suburban, a 66 Ford pick up, and the event doesn't officially start until Friday. This is going to be fun. Wish I had the Safari here.

When you get yours done and pull in to an event you will probably need a large stick to keep people at bay until you get set up. You will have quite the set up.

14. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep. Can make a huge difference, as you've undoubtedly noticed with Airstream prices, too. In fact, we had our '62 GlobeTrotter on eBay about a year ago now. Couldn't get a $10K reserve met with it sitting here in Chicago. Same story with Craigslist. I said "hmmm" to myself, put "California delivery available" in the title, and it sold in 3 days for $15K, which is what we had in it. We drove it out to Santa Cruz and turned it into a month-long, relaxed vacation. :yup:

Can't wait to join in on one of those. The Tin Canners seem like really nice folks. That said, the Pismo Beach rally that sells out every year is the one I really want to be part of at least once.

Couldn't be happier about that - I love hobnobbing with other fans of this stuff. Melissa and I often mention how at 37 and 38... we were probably born about 30 years later than we should've been; considering the century-old canoes, cast iron letterpresses, giant oak drafting tables, and 50-something Vespa GS in the garage.

It all just speaks to us... while newer things, rarely handmade anymore, sit silent.

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Safari57 please put that computer down and go play with the other kids !

Bredlo, hang in there, you and your wife are gonna get old soon enough. Don't rush it! But have fun getting there.