New guy, Old T&C

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by bredlo, May 1, 2012.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:bredlo . nice find. Like some of those older members, I have memories of neighbors in central Illinois with wagons and cars much like yours. I was quiet young then. A few pulled RV's back when they were new. Don't remember how large because RV trailers were not large like those today. But you could do it with a few simple updates.
    To show how much I am willing to help you out I have a suggestion to save you much time, money, and headaches. And since that darned old six volt radio isn't working I'm sure there are other things you will find defective.
    Drive or trailer that old wagon down to my son's or daughter's house near Peoria and I will take it off your hands . I'll even pay for your fuel and a bus ticket back to the Windy City. ;)
    My first car was a 1949 Dodge coupe with fluid drive so I am used to all that power.

2. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    LOL :rofl:
    How touching... boy you people are selfless! Think we'll hold onto it for the time being, though.

But in all seriousness: if any of you are interested in a 1952 version of this wagon (split windshield vs. my single style) I've located one in very good condition in Arizona. I'd hoped to buy some parts off it (my little front bumperettes look like swiss cheese, and I have a couple cracked windows) but it sounds like it's complete, so the owner would prefer to sell it whole. It had new chrome and a beige paint job 10-15 years ago. The straight 6 ran perfectly at that time, too.

PM me if you'd like his contact info, a link to a photo, and the price - I have nothing to gain, but the seller sounded like a nice fellow on the phone.

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

4. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh 57, you're preaching from my Bible.

I'm fully aware these upgrades are considered sacrilege in many circles, but here's how I look at it: If we hadn't bought it, there's every chance the next guy would've chopped 3" out of the roof pillars, add blue LED tail lights and removed the door handles in exchange for some key fob.

Thus, this car will have a far more dignified life - one that mirrors its original purpose and spirit - with us than most other fates. And the enjoyment it will provide as a practical, everyday ride ought to be tenfold.

No offense to our low-riding, top-chopped, blue tail-lighted friends, of course. :sorry:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thus, this car will have a far more dignified life - one that mirrors its original purpose and spirit - with us than most other fates. And the enjoyment it will provide as a practical, everyday ride ought to be tenfold.
    No offense to our low-riding, top-chopped, blue tail-lighted friends, of course. :sorry:

My feeling exactly. Hopefully you can also keep the dash as original as possible and still update the guages. A late model Chrysler running gear would be a perfect update.

I sold a few of the cars I restored after moving to Florida. Could have gotten more and sold them faster to guys wanting to do exactly as you wrote. To me, if it is in fairly good original condition it should be kept that way. Updating the running gear and engine is something that has been done ever since cars were first sold and worn out. To keep up with traffic and do what you want it is necessary.
    Of course, as written a million times before, it's yours and you can do as you please.
    So, I guess I won't hold my breath until you deliver your wagon to one of my kids!:cry:

6. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's the intent, for sure - even if it means putting some of the newer gauges into a swiveling housing beneath the dash. I'd love to be able to fold down a little screen for a backup camera when hitching up... and digital mileage / current MPG range. Probably a little ambitious.

But more importantly, I love the interior every bit as much as the exterior styling. I feel like my sweet, departed grandpa (a lifelong car lover) could slide into the passenger seat at any minute to go for a ride...

I won't say never, but I don't see backing out of this plan. We'll drive it in stock condition for a couple months, though. I want to be able to look back and know exactly why I made every change I did, and be confident each change was an intelligent decision.

7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    be confident each change was an intelligent decision.

Are we supposed to do this?:49:

That is a super looking wagon. But I'm sure when you actually get into it you will find problems to address. These vehicles are like women---none are perfect no matter how great they look at first!

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey again....
    Read your thread over on the H.A.M.B. - but don't remember if anyone over there mentioned ICON's '52 'Derelict' Chrysler wagon. Has a 'modern Hemi' conversion, as well as a whole lotta other new stuff underneath, like 4-wheel discs. Everything you see looks old. Everything you don't see is new. Lotsa money in it though....

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehic...elict_1952_chrysler_town_country/viewall.html

[​IMG]

Many more pages out there on this wagon as well.......
    Just to give you a heads-up, ICON builds and sells a new 'old '70 Ford Bronco with all kinds of stuff on it - and they want $200k for one.....

Marshall

9. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Love this car, Krash. I saw a Vimeo video clip about it a couple months back, and I suspect it embedded itself in my subconscious when we bought this wagon. It's just gorgeous - my favorite aspect is the old whiskey bottle used as a radiator overflow tank.

I suppose I could consider our project a miniature version of that... those ICON guys are obviously incredibly talented. Hopefully ours will have a bit of that attitude as well. Thanks for the link!

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Rat Rod

Altho I love what they did mechanically, I like vehicles that look great outwardly too! Before I'd drive that 52 I'd have to empty many whiskey bottles!:rofl2:

11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    ????????????'70 Ford Bronco- and they want $200k for one.....
    :( Every Ford Bronco made isn't worth that much money!:slap:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :agreed: I just do NOT understand the high prices even on the used Broncos.:confused: Theyr'e nice vehicles but I have seen used ones in good shape bringing in excess of $15,000!:huh: They aren't THAT nice IMHO. The ICON vehicles are insanely priced. Remember...they are fixed up like new BUT are still used with miles on them!

13. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Funny you'd say that... in this video the creator says about half the people who see it ask him if he's saving up for a decent paint job. :)

https://vimeo.com/35461693

As for the prices, they're certainly status symbols and that's where a lot of the artificially inflated price comes in. ICON vehicles obviously don't have $200K of parts and labor in them... anymore than a 4 lb. Louis Vuitton purse has $10K of materials in it.

But each company is tapping into a pretty exclusive subset of customers, with a mindset that not only doesn't mind the price tag, but actually requires a price that ensures they'll be one of very few people to have that $10K purse in their $200K Bronco.

Sure, it's a manufactured notion of superior construction and heritage... but I've gotta give them credit for coming up with that tricky formula that allows them to build projects they love... and then convince a rich guy that he wants a rugged old Bronco instead of, say, a "run of the mill" Ferrari.

14. bredlo

bredlo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Anybody know a good resource for a new set of leaf springs for this thing?

The car is essentially bottomed out, and while it looks all hot roddy, I prefer not hearing the tires scrape the wheel wells on corners. :coco:

I believe the previous owner told me he put in something called a "2 inch block" in the rear... but whatever the case, I'd like to jack this thing up this weekend and get us back to the factory ground clearance - I can see the leafs in the back but I can't even tell what's holding the front end up, are they also leaf springs? Shocks?

It's okay if it's just a cheaper, quick replacement that will work for the time being. We'll need to invest in adjustable airbags (which I assume means switching over to 12v from 6) but we'll cross that bridge when the trailer comes into the equation.

All suggestions welcome. :tiphat:

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If you look at the leaf spring/axle housing area, you'll probably see the blocks between the top of the spring and the bottom of the axle tube. Take them out, and the wagon will be raised up that same amount. Still should be some locator block between the two though.....