My 72 Grand Safari

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by hatetank, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

Sean, do you know anyhting about Jeff's Custom in Prophetstown? I am wanting to get new duals on the wagon and he was recommended to me by a couple guys

2. pt61v

pt61v New Member

Welcome. That's a great looking car.:Welcome:

3. hatetank

hatetank New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Swanny sent ya a PM. Jeff is the guy to talk to for sure. About ready to send my wagon that way to get some pipes!

4. SwannyMotorsports

Thanks for the info, I am going to call him tomorrow and get mine scheduled in. I am unsure how to run the tailpipes so hopefully he will have a good idea on how to do it. With the rear pans of our style wagons the pipes sit real low in the back and I think they looky crappy that way, but thats just me

5. SwannyMotorsports

Sean, a week from today my car will be at Jeff's for the exhaust. I checked and I do not have any manifolds for your car.

6. hatetank

hatetank New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Randy, mine is headin there this week for exhaust! Guess mine will be the guinnee pig. No worry on the manifolds, just got headers instead and a few other goodies too. Ever swapped from a points to HEI? I just have to figure out which wire gets the full 12 and not the stepped down 9. Anyways proabably see ya in a few weeks.

7. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Back when I had my 73 Impala wagon(1999-2004). I upgraded from a single exhaust to a dual. I had found a old muffler diagram guide from the 70's and on the GM clamshell wagons that had the factory dual exhaust, the passenger side pipe turns at the end and joins up with the driver's side pipe which then exits out the left side of the wagon. So I did my exhaust just like this and we used a 3" pipe as the end piece, it looked stock,and still sounded good. Less chance of dragging when driving out parking lots,driveways and such.

8. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I also put dual exhaust on my wagon, started with Sanderson Hot Rod headers, which are real short, the collector is about where the oil pad lip is. Then had a buddy of mine who is an exhaust wizard tuck three inch pipe all the way back to 2 Flowmasters which dump straight down out the back just before the axle. The subframe under the floor pan had two cutaways that accomidated the pipes perfectly. Sounds really cool and rumbles like a 440 (just a 360) I had the scraping exhaust problem too but the headers and Randy solved the whole problem.

9. knagy389us

knagy389us Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the Safari club! Lookin good. Perfect example of that period, that color with the woodgrain.

10. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sweet cars! The safari looks really nice and clean!