Marquis DeSade

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MarquisDeSade, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Welcome to our nest.

2. meulmani

meulmani Well-Known Member

My greatest concern is the location. Shipping a car from Vancouver to Europe is very expensive, much more expensive than from LA. Seattle would be much cheaper but I heard getting a car across the Canadian-US border is a fuss.. Halifax is very cheap but then the car must be transported from Vancouver to Halifax..

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK...I'm getting confused here with 3 different threads going on the same subject.:D
    It appears that, from THIS thread, that Marquis de Sade just bought this wagon about one year ago. So....

First, we need to determine why it is being sold after one year and if it is in REALLY GOOD shape and worthy of shipping to the Netherlands. Ina (and the rest of us?) will need GOOD pix of the car in, out & under. You know the drill, Marq...driver's seat, dash, etc, etc.

Second, if it's a nice car, how much will it cost to get the car to Seattle. C'mon....how much could it be?? If you want to ship a car from that area of Canada....Seattle would be the choice, would it not? I can't believe that the border crossing is such a big deal. This has to have been done many times in that area.
    Hey Marq...how far is the car from Seattle? Can you help to get it there in any way? Are there companies that specialize in this?

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Where and what is Halifax?

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK...I looked up Halifax Port and found it. Sure would be the operative port from which to ship a car to the Netherlands, I would think. But....as Ina has pointed out, how do you get the car there?? Seems shipping from Seattle would be a good choice providing the costs involved aren't a mind blower.

6. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a dandy.

7. meulmani

Many thanks for your support, Silverfox!
    Shipping from Seattle to Europe is affordable, shipping from Halifax is cheap. But then the car needs to be shipped all the way from the westcoast to the east. Shipping from Vancouver directly by sea is very expensive.
    So if there is an affordable way to get the car to Seattle or Halifax.... I keep on searching myself... There are still a few shipping RFQs pending...

8. meulmani

Just got a quote from ABR for shipping a car from Vancouver to Halifax: $1665... Adding the shipping costs from Halifax to the Netherlands is as expensive as shipping the car from Vancouver to Europe directly. So I think the only other option is shipping the car to Seattle. I spoke to a guy of a shipping company and he told me that shipping the car from Canada to the US would be a fuss. But if anyone on his forum has got an idea...

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm the type that does not accept the word "can't". There ARE available ways to get this done, without costing a fortune, providing the car is worth it. We just have to find them. We need to find people that have done this or do it on a continuing basis. Even if this particular car gets sold or is not worthy of the trip....we need to find these things out for the next one and all the cars in the future that need to be shipped. I think, first, we need to consult with the Canadian Government and Port authorities or whatever governing agencies are involved in this kind of endeavor. Then find people that have done or do shipping across the pond.
    Any of our members qualify with in-depth information?
    I have nothing better to do and, if I weren't so far away from the West coast, I would fly there, take the car across the border, do all the necessary paper work and drive the car to Nova Scotia and get it on a ship. I don't know if there is/are highways across Canada that would allow comfortable driving from the car's location to Port Halifax. That would be simpler if the highways exist.
    Wait....if you took the car across the border to the USA and then BACK to Canada in Nova Scotia....why would you NEED to pay any customs charges to come into the USA?? It would be a visit, no?
    We need information...lots of it. It will be good information for the future as well as for Ina's immediate problem.

10. meulmani

Wow Silverfox, your help is very much appreciated.
    Actually shipping from the US westcoast to Europe directly is not a problem. I have done that before (also my blue mercury, bought in California, port of departure Long Beach). Seattle shouldn't be a problem either, according to the man of the shipping company I spoke today. A bit more expensive than LA but still acceptable. But Vancouver is just an expensive location if it comes to shipping cars to Europe. It is not impossible but expensive. If a car is very rare and/or very expensive then it may be worth that money. But, although this red cp is the most interesting cp I have seen last week, there are other options. There is still the tan colored one in Phoenix. Probably (if the text in the ads are correct) less nice than this red one but less expensive and less a fuss to ship.

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK....if shipping from Seattle is acceptable, why is Vancouver an expensive location? Is it the problem of getting it across the border? Someone on here awhile back bought a car in Canada and said getting it through customs and across the border wasn't the huge problem and expense that everyone said it was.
    Anyway....I am just worried that you could possibly end up with a car that is not worthy of the expense, time and trouble to ship it. I want you to end up with a really good car that will not cause you problems and/or rust to pieces after all your expenses of getting it there. I have not seen the one in AZ but I do know that, IF it has lived in AZ all its life, it will likely be very rust free underneath. However, the AZ desert sun can burn up paint and interiors.

12. meulmani

After sending many RFQs I have found a shipping company that ships cars from Seattle very often (www.bbexp.nl). Halifax and New York are cheapest (EUR 800), then Florida/Houston (EUR 1000), then LA, then Seattle and the most expensive location on this list is Vancouver (more than EUR 3000)...
    My total budget for the price of the mercury plus shipping to a dutch or belgian port is $5000. If the price of the AZ car is $1500 there is enough cash to replace woodgrain and give it a fresh paint. A good tan colored interior is tougher to find so the interior should be in good condition, and so must be the weatherstripping.
    If I can buy the Victoria car for, let's say $3000, there is $2000 budget for shipping the car to Holland, but then woodgrain and paint should be in good condition. But $2000 is the price of shipping from Seattle, not BC...

13. meulmani

I finally found a company offering shipping from Vancouver to Rotterdam at a fair price: $1600 !! http://www.usa-auto-import.nl/us-imp...ht-kosten.html

Sounds too good to be true, I will contact this company and look for references. $1600 is acceptable so the BC car is now becoming very very interesting...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  14. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well...if it sounds to good to be true.......

By the way, Ina, have you received tons more info and pix from Marquis?

15. meulmani

Not yet, looking forward to seeing them!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.