Hello all! (1964 Fairlane Custom Ranch Wagon)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Drag'N Wagon, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I have always liked the 64 Fairlane 500 wagons. I remember as a kid, our neighbors directly across the street from us had a white 64 Fairlane 500 wagon with red interior and the red insert down the middle of the chrome side trim. That family moved out in 68, taking the wagon with them. The new neighbors moving in had a red 64 Fairlane 500 wagon with red interior.
    I wonder if your original black paint can be buffed out and saved. Its only original once.

2. Drag'N Wagon

Drag'N Wagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    This one has a black interior and with the exception of the front seat and dash pad it is in very good condition. The paint, being original, has seen better days. The sides of the car still have a good shine to them, but the paint on the hood and roof have a little surface rust from weather/sun damage before it was garaged. I can't decide if I want to have it resprayed a gloss black or go with a flat black ratrod look.

3. Nailz

Nailz New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Right on another new guy with a Ford! I'm in the same boat, looking for parts. Good luck!

4. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:Dragin', NEAT STUFF:1st: Can't believe there ain't ah 390, 427-8 or 9 in there:49: I thought all then Fairlanes got the "500" treatment? Now for us uninformed that like 'um all but ain't solid in the Blue Oval Camp, Where and how iz the '64 tank mounted in your Long Roof. Left, right, Horizontal, Vertical? Worst case senerio, Their are folks out there that can do magic with MIG or the ole' fashioned way with ah tourch an ah coat hanger too. When I re-did the Batwagon mine got the Mig treatment and then rubber coating inside and out with stuff that's impervious to the rust mites or deterioration from fuel:D

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  6. Ford Nut

Ford Nut Well-Known Member

7. Drag'N Wagon

Drag'N Wagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the links Stormin, but as with every other tank site I see, it specifically excludes station wagons. :mad:

8. dw_lawrence

dw_lawrence New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Same Tank Problem

Welcome Drag'n. I'm going through the same problem with my 63 Fairlane. My tank is not completely rusted out though. The guy I bought mine off (After sitting for 18 years) dropped the tank and pressure washed it out. It seems ok for now but if I could find one I would change it. Mine is also beaten up from where they dragged it from it's long term on flat tires:( onto a trailer!! I am thinking out having the insides coated with a resin that some radiators shops can do. No idea of price though? Good luck. front_view.jpg

9. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Dragn....sweet find my freind.....and Black on Black???...uber rare package !!!(y)

as for the tank....noone is making one that i know of:(

but they just started doing the Falcon/Comet one a year ago or so...so yours cant be far off !;)
    when you get it out...take measurements and some decent pics....i would think that the Falcon cant be far off.

If you want some inspiration and ideas...check out this build....this guy did a heck of a nice resto on his...but i dont have the patience to read all of it and see what he did with the tank:biglaugh:.... http://car-q.com/Modified-1964-Ford-Fairlane--Jason-Fields_265169.html

10. Drag'N Wagon

Drag'N Wagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Rev. I have already pulled the tank and will take measurements and pics in the morning. I would love to have a tank like the one Mr. Fields used in his build. I'm not sure if it is a custom made piece or a modified off the shelf unit but it is very nice none the less. My tank has many small pinholes in the bottom only and I had thought about fiberglassing the bottom and using the POR-15 tank sealer (or similar) to try and reuse this tank. Thanks for the welcome and for all of your assistance.

11. Abe Lugo

Abe Lugo Active Member

If you find one, can I be in line for the next one available???:lolup:

I was had with that melvis ford parts link!!! I've seen the caps go for about 130.00 NOS on ebay. I have a bunch of extra trim I might have to make my own. I do see some of the NOS caps go without the trim pice for about 20.00 from time to time.

As far as the gas tank get this http://www.hirschauto.com/products.asp?dept=4
    we used it on my wife's 59 dodge tank, it was from a junk yard and the wrecking yard had punched a few 1/4" size holes in it and we used some jb weld type sealer for the holes, then coated the tank with this stuff and it works. Essentially it creates a bag within you tank that is stuck to the walls of the gas tank. Your supposed to use MEK and a chain to wrestle loose and debris inside the tank before coating it. The quart size bottle tank did the Dodge's 18 gallon tank, with some to spare. If your really worried do the inside with this stuff then use a POR-15 type sealer on the outside.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010