GM wagons - L05 vs. LT1?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by mp775, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mp775

mp775 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I looked through old posts and didn't see anything. When it comes to 1990s GM wagons, what are the pros and cons of the L05 and LT1? From what I've read elsewhere, it seems like the L05 is simpler, less expensive to repair, and has more torque, but the LT1 really hauls above 60 mph and gets better fuel economy.

2. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think you nailed it. More horsepower with the LT1 for sure but then you also have the beloved Opticrap ignition system to contend with. My LO5 now has 234.000 miles on it and it still has the original plug wires. The TBI system has been stone reliable. It runs like a top and yields 19 mpg with my heavy foot in my daily commute. Either motor is a good choice really and better than the 305 CID anyday.

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Depends on what you are after. What you say in your above post is basically true but I don't know what you want out of an engine? The LT1 is a tougher engine for sure. Best steel in the block of any car around, reverse cooling, etc. It will outlast the L05 by many miles of comparable use. If I wanted a wagon and had short money I wouldn't shy away from an earlier model B body with the L05 at all. But the LT1 is the intro into the LS series which is monster power. I have an LT1 wagon, have done just a few mods and it gets off the line like you were driving a 2800 lb car. You mentioned over 60 speed...the LT1 seems to have no top end barrier other than the gearing in the car. And the LT1 has a quicker response at most RPM's. Drive them both is my suggestion. But the LT1 is newer technology, better engineering, built to last and will welcome high power mods and and take the power without complaint.

4. mp775

mp775 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm looking for durability first, fuel economy and power kind of tied for second (how's that for a paradox). I have a 60 mile commute and I'm usually going either 90 or 20. Sounds like I should be leaning toward the LT1.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would. Definitely.:yup:

6. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    LT1 - there is a level of satisfaction in having a great engine versus a good one that has to over ride a lot of other factors.

Both engines do their jobs well, one just happens to do it with class and maintains a higher resale value (if that is important to you).

7. 200OZ

200OZ Well-Known Member

The LT1 is rated at 260hp and 330ft.lbs. of torque, both higher than an LO5.
    The LT1 is also more efficient at all engine speeds.... Same driver, same speeds, same roads, similar gearing, LT1 gives a bit better fuel economy.
    The optispark dist. is a fine distributor, just a little snake bit because of the issues in the early years on the F and Y body's, and the way it mounted to the engine was such a different set up as opposed to the 40 years the sb Chevy has always been. I changed out the original dist. in my RMW at 189,000 miles, granted it was beat to death, but none the less still ran. The LO5 is a little easier to work on, and would need less attention mechanically. If I was buying a GM B body wagon, the LT1 would have the edge, but not by much. Like Silverfox said, drive them both, then decide, but I would recommend a tow pak car either way.

Mike

8. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

If I found a creampuff wagon in super conditon for a good price with an L05, I'd get it before a wallered wagon with an LT1. However, I would be looking for an LT1 first!

A lot can be done with a TBI motor, if you are willing to take the time to learn about them and what they respond to. Never will be an LT1, but getting it close is half the fun!

Tom

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Another factor not mentioned is compression ratio. The 92 L05 has a ratio of 9.3 to 1 while the LT1 has a ratio of 10.5 to 1. They can get much higher compression without knock by the reverse cooling in the LT1. Another tidbit is that, contrary to some peoples' belief, the iron heads actually flow better than the aluminum heads. The LT1 is slightly detuned to pick up more torque. It gets 330 ft lbs >>@2400 RPM <<. While that is not the whopping 500 ft lbs produced by the 69 & 70 GM big blocks it's still nothing to sneeze at. Especially in a 4800 lb wagon that offers 18 to 25 MPG!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. phantom 309

phantom 309 havin a laugh

ah,. the great lt1 =tbi debate,.
    TBI 's,.. like fat chicks and scooters,.etc,.
    their owners are like bridesmaids that fiercely defend the fact they aren't married,... yet.

once you,ve owned driven an LT1 ,. you won't want to go back,.:2_thumbs_up_-_anima
    LT1 will put a smile on your face,.with a cold air intake, some free flowing mufflers,.and decent tuning, you'll pick up an easy 30 horse or so,.add a set of 3:73's and the car will be a blast,.
    they get better fuel mileage with 3:73's too,.

(oops did i say that out loud?)

nick

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

:rofl2:Thats just hilarious!!!

12. mp775

mp775 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for all the help!!

Anything else I should look for in these cars -- typical weak spots in the frame, or telltale signs that something is about to go?

13. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  14. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I often have the owner take me for a ride first, before I get behind the wheel. You can tell a lot about how the car was driven in those few minutes, and that will give you an idea as to whether you will be doing a lot of maintenance, or babying it too.

15. Yuk

Yuk Well-Known Member

my 93 had a 3.23 in the rear and got almost exactly 20mpg every tank for all around driving.
    i put a new GM 2.73 in it a couple months ago and put 235/75/15 tires in place of the 225/75/15 tires.
    mpg is now a litle over 24mpg each tank all around driving. 1250rpm at 60mph

getting ready to help a friend try a 2.56 gear with 235/75 tires, mech-elec cooling fan swap, k&n air filter, converter gutting, and maybe a throttle plate spacer. going for quiet highway mpg. he needs it to deliver single sales caskets out of state overnight.

LO5 is cheap to maintain. i would have more money in a single optispark tragedy than the whole car i currently own. ....plus living in the country, i dont want my ECM under the hood.