Gas savers.

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Roadking41A, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

For my truck I plan on adding a extra battery and a electric fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII. And I need to research on the best way for water injection. Heavier plug wires and a stronger coil for the ignition.

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well I think part of the idea is in addition to these fuel saving modifications you also have to drive like an old lady and employ some of those ridiculous hyper-miling technigues.

In regards to the HHO systems. In THEORY it does work. In practice they are not quite as successful. I don't think any of they systems produce enough hydrogen to actually run the engine on. Also, don't forget that it takes power to run the system. That power comes in the form of additional drain on your alternator.

3. Roadking41A

Nah I won't have to drive like no old lady but I don't have to drive 15 miles over the speed limit. The changes I am talking about is more on taking away friction from the engine with a few modifications I have a 4 speed in my truck and I am now on the hunt for a OD automatic or a ZF5 speed. which will help bring up the mpg.

4. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

5. Roadking41A

6. tbirdsps

Oh NO! I don't think I dare. I was just adding to the realm of fuel economy gimicks. Although maybe the acetone will help get the window tint off.:rofl2:

Why don't you try it and report back.

All my cars I currently drive have in the tank fuel pumps and I can tell you that there is a lot of plastic content on the sending units. Who knows what acetone will do to those even in the small quantity that is being touted. Carbs have some plastic too. Not to mention all the rubber fuel lines and mechanical fuel pump diaphrams and hoses.

I am not recommending acetone! Just provided what I've seen on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  7. Roadking41A

Ah you first age before beauty. :rofl2:

8. tbirdsps

I'm sure your Cordoba will be just fine.....:cheers: No, you try it, a younger man can get out and push better.:tiphat:

9. Roadking41A

But you push better than I do.

10. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A chipmunk thread.:rofl2: "You first."... "No, I insist, after you."

11. tbirdsps

I think you and Andy ought to test it out. Between the ace mechanic and the engineer we should get valid results from Canada....:banana::You_Rock_Emoticon::icon_drive:

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know if Andy uses Gasline Antifreeze, but I do. I got caught once with frozen gaslines driving from the more humid eastern part of Canada, where hitting 10F is a rare thing, right through to BC. Had to pass through Winnipeg in 1968. We had to let the car thaw out in a garage. The lines were still clogged with slush. Then the guy asked if I used gasline antifreeze? What?!?!?!

Look at this guy's question from Chicago (Eastern snowbelt, but no cold like here):
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl696i.htm

Tonight, we'll be hitting -15F. On Sunday (-25F), then Monday (-22F). And that's in the City, with no wind. If you drive at highway speeds, with steel lines, in that kind of cold, you're asking for a good roadside stall. The exhaust heat won't keep radiating to the steel lines, except at City speeds. And sure enough, lots of people die in their cars on our prairie highways, because they stalled or the driving was impossible. Gasline antifreeze is sold up here with Isopropyl, (Fingernail polish remover (AKA Acetone). I've never thought about measuring the fuel economy from it, but I'll be watching now. I've used it in any car I've owned where I lived or drove through these cold Prairies. My 1981 Fairmont, new in 1981, always got a 4 oz. bottle with every tankful. Ran and started like a charm.

http://www.ruralking.com/heet-gasline-antifreeze.html

Anyway, I also use Penzoil's Octane booster, once a month.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030730.htm

Also has acetone. The nasty ingredient in Acetone is ketone. It eats rubber gaskets (as in old carbs) and older fuel pump diaphragms. But not the newer gaskets, made for ethanol mixed fuels. The pure stuff might have too much of the ketones. What that video guy is using is probably ok, because it is a consumer-grade cosmetic cleaner.

Just don't sniff it.:rofl2:

13. tbirdsps

So, when can we expect results from the test?:cheers:

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Fuel mileage? Hahaha! You go out there and start her up! :biglaugh::rofl2:

This Brer rabbit is in the Briar patch, until tomorrow's shopping trip.:rofl2:

The poor thing is plugged in, on a timer set for 5 hours overnite until 10 AM.:bowdown:

The snow is blowing around like La Nina got rejected by El Nino!:taz: That gal has to get a date sometime and settle down. :rofl2:

Kinda useless doing MPG trials until the skidding season is over. The police and Highway RCMP close roads when the weather is like this.

15. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's the particular carbs, Rochester 2GC vs. the Quadrajet, not that all four barrels are more efficient.
    The 2bbl above has larger throttle bores than the PRIMARY side of the QJ. A light foot on the QJ primaries will deliver better mileage than the two barrel 2GC offered on those cars. Dip into the HUGE secondaries of the QJ and the game changes dramatically.