Fannie's new home

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by fannie, Aug 8, 2022.

1. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No, we didn't sell her, we got her a roomier stall.
    It's been an emotional roll coaster since before Christmas really. However, things really got moving, literally in May. Without all the details, our mom has moved from our house into a facility for assisted living. So there was a lot purging of her things, packing and unpacking to get her settled. It's been an adjustment for everyone but it is working out really well. She seems to be happy and enjoying this new chapter.
    While all of this was happening my sister and hubby purchased a new home and also moved, within weeks of mom moving.
    We have an apartment in our home that our daughter lived in. But since mom moved out of our lower, basement level we moved her downstairs, more purging packing and moving. Now this left the apartment empty and in need of a refresh. So, Hubby and I set to work repairing a few things, painting and cleaning so we could rent it out, which we have done. It only took a few days, we had over 50 people apply which speaks volumes to the lack of affordable housing.
    Part of the emotional roll coaster is that I have decided to retire next spring when I turn 65. We decided a few years ago that when we were ready we would retire to that little town that we had purchased and sold our pervious properties, Parrsboro. I am happy to say we have found our H.E.A.H. (Happily Ever After Home) and purchased it. Finally, I'm getting to Fannie's new home.
    It's an old 4 bedroom, roomy farmhouse where we should be able to ramble about without bumping into each other. But the cherry on top of this great house is the barn/garage that came with it. It has three bays. A gardening garage on the end to the right that Cher (my SUV) will fit into for the winter months. The second bay is the original barn complete with old beam floors and a room loft. This is where Fannie will under go her transformation. The third bay is around the other side. It looks like it might have been used as a paint booth so it has a very tall ceiling, which is great because Cameron (our little RV) fits in there nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we wait for spring 2023 to roll around we are freshening up our H.E.A.H. spending the weekends there and enjoying the veranda. We also plan to freshen up our current home as it will go on the market as soon as our daughter finishes her community college course in May.
    To say it has been hectic since spring is an understatement but it seems to be the way we roll. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congratulations. The house is really cute, and any barn, storage space is such a great extra. Sure everyone will be happy there.

fannie likes this.
  3. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congratulations! I'm excited for your next chapter!!!

OrthmannJ and fannie like this.
  4. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice home and property, Fanny. We retired 16 years ago and after much frustration at how the city we lived in near Vancouver was growing and deteriorating we moved to a tiny 39 house heritage village on Vancouver Island 5 years ago. Hopefully your retirement and move will be as wonderful as ours has turned out to be. I'm envious of your barn, I gave up a large shop for a single bay shop and two carports but it works fine where we live. I could add a larger shop but am finding the need isn't there any longer. We use our porch daily, we visit with neighbors as they stroll past for their daily walks, play crib, have friends over for happy hour, it's a wonderful life. It was always my wife's dream to have a craftsman style home with a porch and mine was a massive shop. She won! Good thing too, it's turned out to be the best thing we've done in our 54 years or marriage. Congratulations on your new home, town, and retirement.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, that is a honey of a house and barn! Y'all are gonna be busier than one-armed paper hangers in the coming months. Until you get moved in, even though it's likely secluded, you should have someone sitting it, just for security reasons. Anyway, y'all are gonna have a great retirement place, so congratulations and salutations!

fannie likes this.
  6. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Thank you for your kind words. Sounds like your wife and I could be sisters, our wish list is very much the same. The one thing that we didn't get with this house is a water view. But the barn was more of a garage then either of us was hoping for. The bay is only a block away as is Main St. with all the day to day necessities. We are already using the veranda, it was the first room to get furniture. I'm checking Kijiji now for a long wooden table for meals outdoors. Hubby has been tidying up the barn to make room for Fannie. He discovered a few rotten boards in the floor but has replaced those already so no worries there. It's going to be a long wait for spring to come around again but we are both good at keeping busy, it will be here before you know it.

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you. The house is actually in the middle of town. One of the neighbours was keeping an eye on the property for the pervious owner and as offered to do the same for us. We have been going there almost every weekend but that will change once winter comes.
    [​IMG]

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Well, that's good to hear. Of course, we're all dying for pics, ya know.

fannie likes this.
  9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I tried coping a picture from view point reality but it got a red X. I don't have pictures of the barn interior, I have to get some the next time we are there, maybe this weekend? Have to see how we are feeling.

10. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

That is a nice place and that barn/garage, hehehe.

fannie likes this.
  11. Silvertwinkiehobo

When you get it, don't rush yourselves if you're not up to it.

fannie likes this.
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Jennifer, this is exciting news. I am happy for you and your husband. That is going to be such a great H E A H.
    I'm looking forward to seeing all of the things you do in your new community. Good luck, and don't be a stranger.

fannie likes this.
  13. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

A little late to the party, but congrats! I'm a sucker for old farmhouses, so that kind of style is right up my alley. (y) All the best in your retirement. Seems like you've got some good years ahead of you on a nice property to enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

60Mercman, fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    EXTREMELY CUTE!

I was able to find it on Google Earth. LOVE the neighbourhood, too.......

fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We have started a few projects in the house. In the kitchen there was a nice utility cupboard, but we thought it was taking prime space by the window looking onto the veranda. So hubby gently removed it from there to the back entry. Looks better there.
    The sun was blasting in that window so the finished picture came out dark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    60Mercman and OrthmannJ like this.