Custom Dash For My Fairmont Squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Stormin' Norman, May 14, 2008.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No. No pics. I just wondered if you'd seen the temp switch for a 200 CID using a temp gauge. if you have one, Okie Dokie! But no rush.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Sorry, can't help you there.

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    No problem. I'll find it.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Made some progress.

Carved out the cavities for the new gauges and clock.

First I made carton templates to actual dimensions and tested them to clear the critcal points of the panel from the front and the back (plastic stiffeners) and in behind (for the air ducts):
    jun1909gauges01.jpg jun1909gauges02.jpg jun1909gauges05.jpg

You can see the glovebox latch plate. I just missed it by 1/8th of an inch. And those two metal screw clips are where the relays and buzzers went - no longer needed:
    jun1909gauges04.jpg

Next I taped up the front face and drew the dimensions and location points (we had a BBQ, hence the napkins and plates.):
    jun1909gauges07.jpg jun1909gauges06.jpg jun1909gauges09.jpg jun1909gauges08.jpg

I drilled out the passthrough holes for the jigsaw blade with a 5/16th inch drill (the blade is 1/4") so that I could turn the saw to either side. The saw has a variable speed adjustment from 0 to 6 - I set it at just under 2, so that I wouldn't melt the plastic edges.

jun1909gauges16.jpg jun1909gauges14.jpg jun1909gauges15.jpg

And here's the results:
    jun1909gauges17.jpg jun1909gauges18.jpg

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Nice clean job Norm, well done:D(y)

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. Wiring and vacuum gauge hooks ups tomorrow.

I've got the donor dash panel, so I'm debating whether to frame the clock and recess it a bit and have raised edges like the panel itself or leave it flat to the dash. I'll dream on it tonite.:rofl2:

Anyway, since its not likely to be replaced, I'll do some plastic welding (I kept the drill cuttings and small cutouts) to hold it tight to the back and make up a holding U-bracket like the gauges to keep it placed properly.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  7. ProTouring442

ProTouring442 New Member

Coming along quite nicely!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. I was pondering doing a raised edge around the clock, but I won't. The 1984 Cougar that I got it from just had a plain cutout, and it looked fine. I'll just clean up the cuts a bit more with some 600 grit paper. The plastic is too soft for much finer.

Gotta trim the dash frame to fit the depth of the gauges and start the final reassembly.

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    No electrics today. Had lawn and weeds to cleanup. Twas getting a bit wilder than I like, with all this frequent rain. More rain tonite and tomorrow.

Anyway, I did make some major progress on the cutouts in the dash frame:

jun1909gauges18_589219.jpg jun1909gauges17_522753.jpg jun1909gauges19.jpg

I did have to nip the glovebox latch just a tad, but didn't have to cut any stiffener dimples or notches.

The radio fits my stock Fairmont layout, which surprised me. It has a deeper dial front, but the stock radio comes with an extra frame to fill the gap. No more gap now!

I've got some SEMS paint left, to touch up the dash, where I got tool rubs with the jigsaw, etc. Rain may stop in the late morning until 6 PM, so I'll get the gauge brackets on and make the one for the clock. I 'welded' it in place with plastic.

EDIT: !!!! If you're gonna do any rectangular devices, don't rush to cut the usual mounting tabs. I must've been tempted at least 5 times. Since I wanted to melt/weld some of the plastic to snug the clock in place on the fascia panel (black), I kept testing the fit, and saw the tabs blocking a snug fit by just under 1/16". I fiddle and farted with them, reached for the snips, dropped the snips, etc. "Wait... Be patient... You can always cut them later..." That's the dialog I had. Glad I did. They were in my face, but I wasn't sure about how much to trim. I under-trimed about 1/16" to 'weld' a good bead of plastic in the gap so that I wouldn't overheat and warp the front of the panel. (Those little suckers peaking out at the bottom.)

jun1909gauges18.jpg

I know. It's for my humble Fairmont, but the jist of it applies to any dash mods. Maybe others will see that more gauges will help keep the car running better.

The Vacuum gauge can tell you of about at least 16 different engine conditions that no idiot light or display panel ever will. This one is also a Turbo Boost unit. (Best $19 buck investment)
    vacuumgaugereadings.jpg

The voltmeter, here in the cold prairies, will tell me how low my battery drained trying to start it up and if I should let it idle a bit more before I shut it down. AND if the charging system is ok or not.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/...a/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_gauges.asp

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Looking good Norm, you did a hell of alot more than me today.....I've done nothing period, did'nt even open up the garage today! It's been one of those can't decide if it's going to rain days, it starts up then clears up, over and over. Kinda agrivating:banghead3:

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Same thing here. I can hear the thunder off to the west, by the airport. We're at 32C with the humidex, and its quiet - no wind. This wasn't forecast either, by Env. Canada. The Weather Channel says 60% Prob. Some of the traffic is leaving wet tire marks. So its gonna be a whopper.

We got a set of old westerns with Lee Van Cleef in a couple of Spaghetti flicks. But you'd never figure on Marlon Brando, or William Shatner in dusters. $10.00 at Wal-Mart - 6 DVD's with 2 movies each! Most I've never heard of. Some are really well done, and others are a pure riot. Back to 1943 flicks! :evilsmile:

One way to avoid crappy TV on a doubtful day. (y)

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    A grey, dribble dribble day. I think St. Peter needs an operation on his Prostrate gland. That, or its delicate flower rain. Us tin-flowers don't get no love today.:rofl2:

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    It's a new story today! 25C (77F), sunny all week. My summer igloo is up and this kid is going, going, gone (after I fill up the coffee mug!)

I'm not gonna rush it, but I can't let this become my life's anchor anymore. Hope to get to the point where I've tested all the circuits. My life is sparky enough.:D

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  15. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I swear the people at Environment Canada are under 10 years old. The 5:00 AM forecast said sunny and 25C. It's freakin' pouring cats and dogs since 11:30 AM. Oh well, I fixed the broken sections of the big plastic dash frame, repainted it with the SEMS and made my clock retainer and welded it in place. Then I cleaned up and refinished the door speaker grilles (SEMS to match) and backplates (flat black) that I scooped from a 1973-75 Lincoln. I'll show those later.

Here's some poor closeups showing how I plastic welded the metal tabs to get the clock tight to the backside of the fascia panel:
    jun2309gauges01.jpg jun2309gauges02.jpg

I had a chunk of the PVC fender liner from the old donor or a kit display of some tie-downs I bought - once you take the tie-downs out, you can't reuse the rack. My way of recycling. :evilsmile:

jun2309gauges04.jpg jun2309gauges03.jpg

I chose the tie-down because it bends better on 90 degree corners. The fender chunk was too thick too.:
    jun2309gauges05.jpg jun2309gauges06.jpg

Tada! Welded! You need to snip some strips off the plastic (say 1/8" X thickness X 2") to use as "welding" rods, long enough that you don't toast your fingers. It hurts. :biglaugh:
    jun2309gauges07.jpg

I'll finish mounting the other two gauges with their metal 'U' clamps.