Chrome Trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Kelbob, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Kelbob

Kelbob New Member

I have a 1962 BelAir Wagon and I need to remove some of the trim pieces to send off and have re-chromed does anyone have insite as to how to remove pieces without damaging paint. I.E. special tools/tricks. Car has great paint job and I don't want to mess it up.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hi Kelbob. Welcome to the SWF. I believe there are special tools for removing the trim. But I don't know for certain. I am sure someone on here will chime in with more information.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Exactly what trim are you talking about? Usually if you remove the chrome moldings with care you won’t have a problem sometimes it is helpful to have a second person to help hold the trim away from the paint. Tape any area where you have concerns and you should be good. Most likely if you have a good paint job the trim was removed and reinstalled after it was painted

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Are you sure they are chrome? Many/most were stainless which requires polishing, not replating.

5. Kelbob

Kelbob New Member

Yes it was a total restoration and the trim molding was removed and the person doing the restore had the molding chrome plated and several are starting to peel. The molding I'm referring to is the trim on the doors and fenders

6. Kelbob

Kelbob New Member

During the restoration the door,fender and tail gate molding was removed and sent off to be chrome plated and several off the pieces are now flaking

7. Kelbob

Kelbob New Member

Sorry for the delayed reply