Big Block or not?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Senri, Nov 30, 2010.

1. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Senri, check out Old Air Products, and Vintage Air. The OAP Hurricane units can combine both heat and a/c, and is quite small and powerful.

David :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

The fact that it does not have AC makes it more rare.

3. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is actually interesting and as the airco is a must, make the use of the underdash system even more legitemate. It only requires the install of the unit under the dash and two holes through the firewall, making it very easy to convert back.

4. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

5. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

They don't say they have one specifically for a fox-body.
    If one had to go this route I'd look for a spare dash to hack up rather than using the original. Of course I already have a couple of spare dashes, but it's hard to find one that has no cracks or doesn't require some restoration.

A direct fox body swap would make more sense, and there are used parts available from guys who are pulling their AC.

6. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Of course the indash systems are nicer, but I wouldn't go that far. If I would have most of an a/c car, I would only change some of the parts to do the refrigirant change and to get new stuff, so pump, condensor, and in cabin element, but keep all the controls.
    Installing any of these systems in a non-ac car I would really have to think twice about, considering the amount of work, including cutting up the original parts.
    That's why I actually would only consider to either use a simple underdash system or get all the parts (including dash) from an a/c car and upgrade just the essential ac components with new stuff from one of the vendors as mentioned.
    It could even be a two step system, first get the underdash system and later when all the parts are collected incl. dash change to in-dash system. When choosing the right position for the holes, it only requires another cooling element and a refill, when it comes to the actual a/c system. Or am I completely off here?

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Senri. What does it cost for freight from the US to your country? Try this super search engine. The ones that are still around often have AC. I've got it set for Fairmonts, but you've got Zephyrs, Marquis, LTD, Granada, Villager. all from 1982 to 1984 or 1986 (I think)

And the Fairmont/Zephyr models ran from 1978 to 1982. Gotta be far less costly than all the fiddling with Aftermarket systems, and the hack job they'd do to the interior.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...ys=1978&ye=1983&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

8. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I certainly have considered that, but as the second hand market has collapsed, it is hard to beat the prices here now. A few years ago I wanted to buy a 69 Colony Park from a member here and the quote I got was around $2000. That is ex transport from were it is located to the port. Then it still needs to be imported, some tax and registration. That will be about 1500 euro ($2000). Last but not least, a good LPG conversion system will be at least another 1500 euro.
    The Zephyr I really like is advertised for 4900 euro, including the LPG conversion!!! Hard to beat that. It is worth when going for specials maybe, although the prices of 60's Chevelle's and Camaro's have increased a lot as well in the US as they have become scarce on your side to, I guess.

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Another brainwave! What do they call Dutch Guyana today? You could get an Australian-built Fairmont (LH Drive), probably for a lot less, if the Netherlands still holds it as a colony. Much nicer, no rust...:evilsmile::biglaugh: Have them send it in a diplomatic pouch/Crate.(y)

I'll bet you could, without the same taxes, etc.

10. Roadking41A

Picture please.....

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  12. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice!!!!!!! Surprising little difference in both torque and horsepower between the L6 and V8, by the way. Anyway, I doubt if this car was ever available in Suriname. A quick scan with Google seems to show that they had European and Japanese cars.
    A shame though, our Navy is known to be easy to take things from Suriname and the Antilles, and a big old american car would be perfect to hide a lot of stuff in... :rofl2:

13. Roadking41A

That is nice.

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  15. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ok guys and girls,

It is showtime!!!!!!!!!! Well, maybe then, I have a very interested party for my car, so if that deal goes on, I will have to decide soon. Still 4 cars on the list:
    - 1978 Mercury Zephyr 302 (no airco)
    - 1984 Mercury Grand marquis Colony Park 351
    - 1972 Mercury Montego MX 302
    - 1972 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

All around the same price and condition. Just to be clear, should be a daily driver (including 2500 mile roundtrips to Italy 3 times a year) and have airco.
    And for the picture brigade, here some shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]