Best cam for a 76 Olds CC 455?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Fullsizelover, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi all,
    I want to swap some components for my 76 Custom Cruiser to have the car breath a bit better and increased mpg.
    It is still bone stock and I don't want to open the engine up yet (no other intake or heads) but I will remove all the EGR/AIR crap and will install headers with dual exhaust.
    I did the Comp Cams Camquest check and these 3 came up:
    252H
    XE250H
    255DEH
    I want bottom end torque with good rpm/mpg for a 5000 lbs car with 2.73 gears, but I don't know the difference with Dual Energy, High Energy etc.
    Also to consider if I decide to swap to an Edelbrock intake and other heads later on.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Fullsizelover

Wagon Garage:
    I have decided to go for the following changes for now and change to a Lunati full hydraulic roller setup with following part numbers:
    Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold #2151
    Hooker Competition Headers #3902
    Lunati Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 262/270 #20420710
    Lunati Hydraulic Roller Lifters #72330-16
    Lunati Timing Chain Set #94213
    Lunati Valve Springs #73195-16
    Lunati Retainers #75740-16
    Lunati Valve Locks #77111-16
    Lunati Teflon Valve Stem Seals #78503-16
    Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers #1442-16
    Comp Cams High Energy Pushrods #7841-16
    Comp Cams 5/16“ Guideplates #4842-8
    Comp Cams 3/8“ Rocker Arms Studs #4542-16
    Mr. Gasket #56C
    Fel-Pro Gaskets #1356 and #8171

Also the following will be done:
    Since the car will be mostly highway driven, oil cooler for the tranny will be installed.
    Electric fan conversion from a Lincoln MK8 4500 cfm which hopefully will fit in the standard fan shroud (and lose the nagging whining sound).
    AIR pump delete with EGR, this will also remove some drag from the engine with the old visco fan.
    Incredibly in the Netherlands, I found a TH400 crossmember from a 74 Impala to change from the Y-pipe to full dual exhaust with X-cross piece.
    So if I get rid of the iron intake, visco fan, EGR and AIR pump and iron exhaust manifolds, it will save 100 pounds and hopefully gain 100 hp/torque and some significant MPG.
    I do not want to change pistons and heads for now, I want to do that in 2 years time when the car is 40 years old and road tax exempt and then swap to LP IMPCO 425.

Any tips/hints you guys can give me when we will be working on all of the above, no issues when I install these parts on a stock 38 year old engine?

3. 1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gonna be a beast with that roller cam! Are you having the engine rebuilt?

I had an Isky 256/262 cam in a 400 for a few years. It had electric motor torque. I mean take your foot off of the brake and the tires broke loose!!!! The only thing was that it was out of breathe by 4500 RPMs or so.

But if you haven't bought the cam yet, look into that cam. I am sure they grind it for Olds. You can save some coin on a HFT camshaft too. Buy the matched set.

You wont be disappointed by the Isky 256/262 or the Comp 252H or 255DEH. All are made for low end grunt. Which a wagon needs. No car LIVES at any RPM over 4000 so IMHO, you want the power down low.

$.02.

Dave

4. 1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have done this Conversion many times. DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER CONTROLLER THAN THIS ONE!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Mar...pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item19d88ae9ca

This is the cheapest and most reliable for the 2 speed MKVIII fan on the planet. I have had at least 3 of these...

Another thing. Do NOT go cheap on an alternator. I've burnt up at least 4 of the 100A one wire alternators. Go 140 or bigger. better yet go 200A. Remember that you do not need 200A at highway speeds, you need it at idle speeds. So get one that has a high idle output.

[​IMG]

5. Fullsizelover

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the relay/alternator tips 1967 Tempest!
    All of the above parts have been ordered already so maybe I will get it for X-mas.:)
    Motor will be rebuild in about 3 years, I just wanted to improve air flow/remove drag on the engine for now.
    I hadn't decided on the heads and pistons yet, if I want to swap gasoline for Impco I will go for Iron C heads otherwise aluminum.
    And maybe when the engine is out and I have some savings in a few years, I will add a 200R4 as well.