!961 Nomad Driver Quarter

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Psam61, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Psam61

Psam61 Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am in the process of replacing the driver side lower half and tail light areas of my 1961 Nomad. I bought a quarter panel from a sedan hoping to use the lower area and tail light area but much to my dismay, there is a significant dimension difference between them. The tail light area is much wider on the sedan panel and the lower part of the sedan panel is 2 - 3" shorter than the wagon. I suppose part of the reason is to contain the gas tank inside the quarter. I am trying to think how I can use the sedan panel but it is so different that I am thinking I will need to find a wagon panel. I do have a quarter from a 61 Parkwood to use the tail light area from but it is in worse shape everywhere else. Any helpful advice would be appreciated, or leads to a decent panel. Thanks.

2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Your chances of finding a station wagon quarter panel are about as good as finding a bull frog in need of a hair cut! GOOD LUCK! I ended up buying another complete parts wagon for the quarters and the many other parts that comes with it.....Longroofs Rule!

3. Psam61

Psam61 Member

Wagon Garage:
    179A7CCB-B79E-495E-8CC1-89A96DD3532B.jpeg I know it’s going to be difficult. I found a partial in California but probably not worth the freight, it’s a bit rusty as well. I wonder if the guy who cut the front part out needed it for a wagon? If not, he would have been surprised that it didn’t fit an other body style.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

As long as the pieces do not extend longer than about 24 inches in any dimension, it won't cost all that much. How much of your quarter needs replacement?

5. Psam61

Psam61 Member

Wagon Garage:
  6. Psam61

Psam61 Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need to replace some of the inner and what you see on the outer. Going to place the seam behind the trim as much as possible. Probably have to make the panels at the rear if I can’t find one. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll keep looking for a while. I would much rather replace it as one piece if possible.