78 LTD tailgate handle

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Blackvelvet, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Blackvelvet

Blackvelvet Member

Ford Ltd door lock3.jpg
    Not sure if I have uploaded this right.....The cam A turns when the outside handle turns.
    It pushes the lever (outlined in red ) down this makes lever B swivel. Pulls the rod D upward and pushes lever C upward.
    this is how the inside works.
    The outside handle on my LTD had come detached. Notice the position of the cam A. It has dropped back clockwise away from lever B. This was the source of my problem.
    I need to think how to explain how the outside handle stays on, even though it's simple it's hard to explain. Ford Ltd door lock3.jpg

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It appears the two nuts on either side of cam A and the handle shaft retain the handle and outer escutcheon. As far as the handle itself, whatever retains the cam onto the shaft has somehow popped off or broken. So, undo and remove the two nuts, and pull the entire handle assembly out to inspect, repair and lubricate it.

3. Blackvelvet

Blackvelvet Member

Thanks Silvertwinkiehobo
    You are right, but the picture is before I took it off.
    I have got the handle back on. Somehow the cam had turned to the position in the picture.
    When I turned the cam anti clock and pushed the outside handle back on it stayed, it seems to be the force of the cam spring that locks the handle.
    I can't figure out why the cam turned in the First place. Just hope it doesn't do it on the road.