'72 Chrysler T&C

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Senri, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Dyna

Dyna Well-Known Member

Hmm think you need to check that one again according to 75RivGS the system in the Netherlands is different when it come to cars...

I know the Swedish system for a fact since it's one way to avoid lots of VAT and duty when taking in a car to Europe...

Cheers Dyna

2. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I have no idea about how others do it, but I just checked some websites including the one from the dutch customs, and I can't conclude anything else then that VAT is 19%, that always should be payed and import tax which is 10%. Both should be payed over total amount, so cost of car, insurance and transport.
    I had the same when imported my first car from Switzerland. The only possibility to save some money, is either changing the amount you paid for it (cost, although they need proof, so you need cooparation from the seller) or import it first into another EU country. It is not obliged to pay the VAT in Holland, it can be done in any EU country. When I imported my Chrysler from Switzerland the VAT in Holland was 18.5% while in Germany it was something like 16%.
    All this helps, but it doesn't make it substantially cheaper.

3. wpbrashear

wpbrashear New Member

440 was a $122.00 option.

According to the Standard Catalog of Chrysler (second edition) the 400 cid was the standard engine for the T&C for 1972. The 440 cid/225 hp four-barrel was a $122.00 option that year. wpb

4. LargeBarge72

LargeBarge72 New Member

How sad is that... 225hp out of a 440! :biglaugh:

I actually thought is was closer to 300 that year... tough to say, when I tromp on my gas pedal, it feels like only about 225... but she will spin the 235/75s I have on her... Of course I guess it could it be the 5000lbs of steel holding her back! LOL! Thank goodness for TORQUE!

Once I get the funds, I will be rebuilding mine to be the Beast a 440 should be...:evilsmile:

5. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know the power already went down in '72, mostly because of reduced compression ratio's, but don't forget the differences in measurement (net/gross hp). Does anybody actually know if there is a conversion factor, or is it completely dependent on the configuration of the car (rwhp etc...)?

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, it's car-dependent. BHP (Brake HorsePower) or as you put it RWHP changed in 1965, IIRC with the North American AutoPact. It's measured with all but the electical load (high-amp systems). I don't think there's a conversion factor/rule-of-thumb.

For example, a 1968 426 Hemi had an advertised BHP rating of 425 HP, but everybody knew it was over 450 to almost 500 with the dual 4-BBL carbs from the factory, under the old system.

440's needed a few hundred $$ in goodies and options to get over 400 HP. Some Superbees got close with their 383 engines.

If I had a T&C again, the 440 would be my choice. Easy to add steroids to. And add a fuel vapourizer as well. Passes more gas stations that way. :evilsmile:

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Senri, here's your wagon. Complete with a 331 Hemi! :evilsmile:

chrysler01.jpg

chrysler02.jpg

8. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It is incredibly stylish!!! I would have a problem using this as a daily driver though....
    As I told somewhere else, this T&C is sold by now. My choice now would be either the '68 Country Squire with the 390 (enough power and torque in any way you put it!!!!) or, and I am bit reluctant to say as it is not a wagon , a '65 Imperial Crown (4door). :hide:

I always had a soft spot for Chrysler, maybe as my first car was a 1972 Chrysler Valiant with the 225 /6. But I already had a 65 Imperial aswell. The style and built quality, it is really incomparible (no, I am not influenced by the '64-'66 slogan). I have driven many cars including BMW and Jaguar, but for me the Imperial will always be in my heart. Why I ever sold it....
    Anyway, I have found another very nice example with even more options.

So now I am torn between the love for wagons and the Imperial!! Well, as long as my Subaru is not sold for the right price, it will only be dreams anyway...

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Boy, I'd scoop that Imperial in a New York minute! They are fine automobiles. The 1958 Crown Imperial 4-door HT or convertible is my all-time favourite, but that 1965 is all class.

10. pat-f

pat-f New Member

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on the Town & Country. I have a '72, I think it was the best year for them. Are you completely opposed to buying one from the States?

11. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    O no, absolutely not. It depends on the total cost of course. By the way, I really should have bought that '72, as I haven't seen such a nice example since. At least it got a good home, as another member here bought it!
    There is a '73 here for sale as well, including LPG conversion and almost every option, but it needs a lot of TLC. At first I had a bit of a problem with the front clip of the '73, but after seeing it so often in the pictures, I really got to like it!
    Like I said, I have to sell the Subaru first. But are you selling yours then, or do you know a nice one for sale?

12. pat-f

pat-f New Member

I am considering selling mine. It needs some work (mostly interior), and I'll never get the time or money to do it. I want to find it a good home with someone who will restore it, before it gets too bad to restore. Right now it needs a carpet, headliner, radiator and battery. But the body is straight and solid. I'm near Seattle Washington, so I shouldn't be too far from a port. If you want to see some pictures , I have a photobucket site for it, the link is http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/nightflyer01/ They are a few years old, but nothing on the car has changed in them.

13. LargeBarge72

LargeBarge72 New Member

Wow - was there an option for high-back Bucket Seats or are those not original. I have the extra wide low-back buckets with useless headrests (because they hit so low) and fold down armrests. I like the look of the buckets!

14. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The '72 I saw were this thread started for, did have the same seats. Really, really nice!! Here you can see them in the catalog:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These pictures come from www.fuselage.de Nice site!

15. pat-f

pat-f New Member

The seats are factory original, and the high back bench seat as shown in the larger picture. They are power, so maybe that has something to do with it.