64 Squire coming together

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by martyk98, Aug 7, 2015.

1. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    paint is almost done, one final cut and rub. Wood trim is at the vinyl wrap shop. New carpet and bumpers are here. Door panel respray is not going well. I can't get the originals clean enough to accept the new vinyl paint. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was lucky enough to find a company that wanted my weatherstrip cores to copy. They came back great, even did the tailgate outer wipe. Getting the new ones stapled back on the door cards must have a trick to it that I don't know. Any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Why do these pictures come out sideways?

Attached Files:

2. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    Assembly required

Attached Files:

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice work. The pictures are fine. I am laying down.
    [​IMG]

chefdough likes this.
  4. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice job form what I can see and I tried laying down but the fifth ones got me beat:drink: it will look good soon :drink:practice makes all look good :bigsmile: :cheers: from Downunder

5. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looking great!

6. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    Anyone know why my pictures come up sideways?

7. martyanderson10

martyanderson10 Save A Wagon

Looking good! I have resprayed several door panels and never had any problem. Thia is the process I always use...
    Scrub panel with a bristle brush and Greased Lightning or similar degreaser, Rinse and wipe dry, Wipe with paper towel and lacquer thinner, spray 2 or 3 light coats of adhesion promoter, spray several light coats of vinyl and fabric color on. I use aerosol spray cans usually SEM but I have used Duplicolor. I got excellent results with both.

8. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the input. I went out yesterday and cleaned the armrests with some thinner, taped off the stainless insert and shot the light coat and then a second. The paint I used was a vinyl mix from Wesco and it looks good. I scrubbed the panels twice with oil eater from Costco and a second time with Dawn. Scuffing the surface with sand paper is not an option as it would not get in to the leather-like grain. Still not laying down so I will try the thinner before spraying them, it seems to work. Taping off the brightwork is a pain but I guess that comes with the territory. Installed the stainless drip rail after an hour of polishing it. 6 ft stainless pieces don't go quickly and I managed to keep them from wrapping around my buffer wheel. PS-my wife sold her 68 Camaro after 28+ yrs of ownership.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  9. martyk98

Wagon Garage:

Attached Files:

10. martyanderson10

martyanderson10 Save A Wagon

Looks good Marty, I like the two tone color choice! If you want to save a bunch of time you can easily remove the stainless trim instead of masking it off. There should be some metal tabs that are folded over on the back of the panel. Just lift them up straight and pull the stainless off. I ALWAYS do it when I spray a door panel, plus it is a good time to buff them while they are off the panel.

11. Famousfred

Famousfred Member

Very nice! You did a great job. I was hoping you could share maybe where to get a few items for my 64. Like the carpet kit or does the company that copied your weather strip have any for sale? Does anyone make any replacement interior parts for the back area? Any help would be great, thanks!

12. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    Nothing special on the carpet. Several outfits make them. I think I got mine off eBay. I haven't even opened the box yet so I can't comment on quality and fitment. I don't know what parts your looking for but you can assume there are no reproductions available. My biggest issue is trying to find the vinyl inserts for the cargo floors. I am currently experimenting with 7mm simulated wood floor covering. I'll keep you posted on what i find out.

13. Famousfred

Famousfred Member

Thanks for the info. I was looking for the same thing on the vinyl. I have mine, but it looks pretty beat. I just brought my wagon home last night so I have a lot to do. Let me know how it goes.

14. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    Concours Parts.com just sent me a catalog. The prices seem reasonable. I think SMS is the "cadillac" of upholstery though. If I can repair one seam split, I won't have to buy any upholstery at all. Fred-I just ordered a sample of 7mm synthetic wood flooring. If it does't sit too high, I might consider replacing all the deck vinyl with it. I stripped the vinyl off the spare tire lid. What a chore. Heat gun and lots of elbow grease. BTW, applying thinner/reducer on the vinyl before painting it doesn't work as well as Spray-Away from Costco. Non-alcohol formula makes it easier to mask off and doesn't leave any residue.

15. Famousfred

Famousfred Member

Thanks again Marty, I went to the Pomona swap meet today, didn't find anything. Keep in touch. I'll let you know if I run across anything good.