1999 Taurus 8-passenger with 66,000 miles.

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by atikovi, Nov 25, 2022.

1. atikovi

atikovi New Member

markfnc likes this.
  2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice rig and detailed pictures. Those are great cars. Good luck with the sale.

3. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The styling on these cars was a bit radical at the time and didn't appeal to everyone. Ford actually backed off the oval styling of the dash after a few years. I suppose it's a bit of an acquired taste.

I own a '97 with the pushrod engine, and, although I could wish for a bit more power and torque, I don't consider it particularly anemic. I was actually warned away from the DOHC engine by more than one mechanic. They didn't mention any reliability issues, but, compared to an OHV engine, the DOHC design is more complex, and there's a good deal more to go wrong. Also, maintenance and repair costs are higher because access to anything towards the back of the engine bay is much more restricted. Further, I have to suspect that the weight savings of an aluminum block and heads would be negated by the DOHC architecture.
    And we all know -- or should know -- that electronically controlled transmissions (actually transaxle in this case) had a lot of teething problems and do not enjoy a reputation for being particularly robust or trouble-free or for being inexpensive to repair
    The point is that all that technological sophistication has trade-offs, and that people should be aware that simplicity, especially in a used car, has its virtues.

That being said, these cars are getting rare, and potential buyers may not have the luxury of the choice of engine on the remaining nice examples. These wagons are excellent, solid cars that manage to combine a good deal of the handling prowess of smaller cars with the comfort and safety of larger ones. And even the BIN price on this one is pretty good compared to the asking prices I've been seeing for these lately -- even ones with much higher mileage. If I were in the market for another Taurus, I'd be seriously considering this one.

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The OHV is simpler than the DOHC and the OHV is also a solid reliable engine, but the 3.0 DOHC has more than proved itself out. I've worked on more than a few with high miles and all were in good shape and ran well. I would not consider them difficult to work on at all. Once you get the upper intake off (which isn't that hard), everything is right there. Other than being oil leakers I have no problem at all with the DOHC. It is a good engine.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I had a 2001 Taurus wagon. silver. Good car.