1982 cougar villager wagon project

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by mpqualdie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Passenger 'B' Pillar trim? Any Fox 4-dr sedan or wagon will do. The trick is refinishing it to your colour scheme. There's a couple firms that make plastic trim dyes. In either case, you really have to use their plastic surface prep products for it to bond properly. The other issue is that you'll likely have to do all of the plastic trim for a good match, and that can run into a $200 between paint (dye), cleaners and prep/bonding materials.

SEMS is among the better known brands.
    http://www.semproducts.com/

PlastiKote also has a line. I'd ask a local interior detailer for advice. Humidity and Heat are always a factor and in Houston, that's an issue.

If you're really stuck for that part, there is a Fairmont Wagon with a light blue interior and that part is in decent shape. Might be cheaper to scout around your local yards. The part's probably cheap enough at this yard, but packing and shipping will get expensive.

I bought a whole Mustang rear fold-down split seat interior and the Mustang instrument cluster for $70. from him. I bought a full set of 1982 Zephyr rear and front bucket seats and door panels for $40 from the same yard. They're not expensive. The shipping is.

You can contact them here.

http://midnightauto.ca/

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Not any will do. Sometime around 83 or 84 they changed the seat belt retract mechanism so I know from experience that the B pillar trim from an 84 will not fit an 82.

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Son of a gun! I never got the memo. :oops: :D Good thing you caught that. Thanks.(y)

4. R0gueNomad

R0gueNomad New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Stormin, you got me thinking... Is there a post or another website that has an interchangeability list for the Fords? I understand the same platform, but want about cross platforms, i.e. trucks, Broncos etc. I will be honest, I have only followed GM cars, but I have a mercury now and I'm trying to find as much info as possible before I hit salvage yards.

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't followed the fullsize Fords and Mercurys, but one thing that seems to perpetuate with Ford is their organization of their shop manuals. Any given year includes all the models. Fullsize Fords and Mercs in the same set. Rarely, from what I've seen in mine, do they differentiate between the Colony Park or Country Sedan or Squire models, except in trim (body and interior). That basically means that if you have a 302 in both, the parts are too. Logical. If you have a Mustang SVO, the Capri won't have that package, but they'll have a close enough secondary option. Subtle stuff.

What you need to find out is the basic range of years that your model was produced and go forward and backward about 3 years for body & trim and maybe 5 or more for mechanical/chassis.

You will find that that rule breaks down after 1996. For some reason (profit?) Ford decided to break away from some old factory philosophies and shortened the backward compatibility, by changing almost everything. Even part numbering.

You're pretty safe looking at Cougars, Fords, even Lincolns, Broncos and Rangers. Even some dashes will fit my Fairmont. Fugly but they will fit. Obviously their 4WD won't, but the 2WD transmissions and rear ends, (not Mitsubishi versions) will fit.

Electronics are almost on annual experimental change cycle. You usually can't mix and match engine management hardware. Relays are about the only thing. For instance pulling a Turbo system from a 1979/1980 Mustang or Fairmont, for a 1987 Mustang or vice-versa really needs the entire harness from the newer vehicle. Same with EFI goodies.

If you look at your part numbers and learn the basic groups, you'll start to train your eye to look at variations when you do a junkyard run.

Here's a good 'self-training site, especially the last link to deciphering part numbers and Ford VINs from other countries.

http://www.spacecoastshelby.com/nos.html

6. mpqualdie

mpqualdie Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know I haven't been on for a while, but thanks for the info...I promise the pictures are comming soon...My girl looks so abandoned right now (1982 cougar wagon). I got her stripped to the shell, less the axle and front suspension. Gonna go to the media blaster in about three weeks. can't wait to get started on it again! By the way, The rear window hinge (passenger side ) is broken, any one know where I might find that?

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That's a tough one. You can get hinge pins and bronze bushings. I scooped a bunch of parts from a 1981 Capri hatchback, so the hinge pins from Fox-bodied Mustangs or Capris might work. Even a 1986 Granada wagon hinge should work, and might still be a dealer part.

The Mercury Villager, Marquis, and Granada wagons all ran until 1986, IIRC.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
  10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The 1st and last one for me. The compressor hose in the second one sends 'molested' shivers up the back of my neck.

He'll spend $250 at the yards anyway, before he's done the resto, and the glass alone is worth it. Fox windshields and wagon glass take up to 3 months to replace. I know. Some kids shot mine with a BB gun 4 years ago. 3 months driving with plastic, waiting for the Ford dealer to get them in from PPG.

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just chose the cheap one's...the one's that looked like they would make a good parts car for not much money. If I had one of these wagons I would consider buying one of these. Like you say...by the time you go to the yard a few times you will have spent that much anyway. It's always nice to have a good donor.

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Absolutely. If any of them have decent rubber moldings at the rear vent windows or the beltline weather channels or any of a dozen wiring harness clips and trim clips, a guy drops a few c-notes, if you can find them. The door and liftgate weatherstrips might or might not be toast, and you can buy aftermarket, but its like $50 per door. Good wagon swaybars are better than the biggest Mustang units, and the rear springs are always an issue on older wagons. A yard in Saskatchewan wanted $275 plus shipping for a used tailgate, when mine warped in the wind. I got a local for $50. now the guy wants $25 per door for the door glass and $40 for each cargo window glass. The tailgate had a piece of plexiglass.

Adds up. I get ticked when I see the wiring harness clips 5 for $4.99. :rofl2:

13. Ford Nut

Ford Nut Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by mpqualdie [​IMG]
    Plus, it's hard to be cool with wood veneer on the side...lol. will post pictures later.

A man aint a man unless he's got WOOD.:jumping:
    :Welcome:

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:whistle::huh:...............................................

.............................................................................

....................................................................................

.............................................................................................

.....................................................................................................

:ttiwwp::deadhorse:

:D(y)