1978 Oldsmobile Toronado XS

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jaunty75, May 15, 2023.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I don't recall seeing this one before. Seller is a dealer. Again, we have a seller who doesn't seem to know what he has as he makes no mention that it's an XS, which would be a selling point.

Anyway, looks pretty good for 68,000 miles, and the price of $9999 is not reasonable.

Overall, the photos are surprisingly not so good given that it's a dealer. They're small, often taken from a distance, and incomplete as there are no photos of the engine compartment.

photo 01.jpg

There appear to be problems with both doors.

On the passenger side, as can be seen above and in this one below, the trailing edge of the molding on the door does not line up with the continuation of the molding on the right rear fender ahead of the rear wheel.

photo 07.jpg

On the driver's side, the gap between the rear edge of the door and body is wider at the bottom than at the top.

I would say that both doors need adjustment or just need new hinge pins.

photo 06.jpg

You're a dealer, for pity's sake. Would it kill you to grab a vacuum cleaner and neaten up the trunk a bit? Plus get things that aren't related to the car out of there?

photo 09.jpg

It has the usual Tempmatic A/C. It also has the relatively rarely-seen headlight twilight sentinel. I have no idea what that thing stuck to the vinyl on the left is. Something to hold a turnpike ticket or something like that? They didn't have EZ Pass back then!

photo 15.jpg

AM/FM/8-track radio.

photo 17.jpg

These criticisms are all minor. This looks to be a very nice car.

wagoninsane likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Gad, look at the freaking dust on the station selector buttons! Do these morons think no one will notice, or are they just that stupid/greedy?

wagoninsane likes this.
  3. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think a good chunk of it comes down to the owner sending it up for consignment. They probably didn't want to put any effort into cleaning or getting it presentable because that would cut into their sales "profit" on grandpa's car that they inherited and just pulled out of the garage where it's sat for 15 years.

The thing stuck to the left could be a turnpike ticket holder, but it also could easily be a service reminder calendar. It has mileage and dates on it to indicate when various things were serviced or when they needed to be serviced again. My grandfather had stuff like this in his cars when I was growing up.