1973 Torino Tribute Restoration

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by gpd294, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well I got the steel bumpers and all the brackets done. I cleaned and painted them using the POR-15 stuff then sprayed them semi-gloss black due to the POR-15 rust paint is UV sensitive. Although these items won't really be seen unless you stick your head under the car they still need to look nice and have that added protection.

I also disassembled the grill assembly again and painted the grill silver and replaced the grill surround with a nicer dent free piece. I am trying to thoroughly clean everything before it goes into storage and believe me I have a lot of dirty parts, but one thing at a time. Hopefully this weekend I'll borrow Doc's method of screw/bolt painting using the template cardboard holder.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Here are a few of the grill assembly. I also restored the grill emblem that I was able to find used. Taking it apart and re-painting the red and silver colors reminded me of back when I was a kid building model cars.

3. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

As some of you may know my restoration is a tribute to the memory of my late Father. I had a buddy of mine make up a nameplate for my dash plaque. I nicknamed my Dad "Mi Viejo" which is spanish for "My Old Man" with the upmost Respect. I had my buddy do the same font and style as the original nameplate that said "Squire". I hope yall like it.

R.I.P: David Fernandez 10-10-1940 / 08-16-2005

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah! :thumbs2: Looks superb. Classy.

Funny that it doesn't work too well for La Vieja. Jefa, yes, for Mothers, but wives might get cheesed seeing it on the dash. :rofl2:

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Very nice work.

6. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, that is really cool. Glad to see you're putting that much effort into a tribute for your dad. When I finally find a good 66 Caprice wagon, I'm doing it as an exact replica of my dad's.

7. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well thank all of you very much! I really appreciate the commnets. Norm, you are correct Sir, the wife may get a little, lets say "bugged", seeing that her name isn't on there and Mom's would be. That's why I didn't even go there. Must be a female thing. :evilsmile:

I took the day off from work today and went shopping. I found a place here locally that had a few Torinos out on the yard. The other door and fender deal that I have been waiting on since Thanksgiving fell threw so I had to look elsewhere. I found both items and may be going back for the back passenger side door as well. The least amount of "Bondo" on the car the better and seeing that he had a good one and he is very reasonable on his prices it just makes more sense.

Now that I have all my panels it's really time to get on the ball to send her to the paint shop. I still need to remove windows and a few more interior pieces, but I'm guessing she'll hit the paint and body shop no later than St. Patty's day. Wish me luck! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Good scores, both of them! Well done.

It was -33C this morning, and my little beast cranked up on the first spin. Haven't driven it for a week. Nice sunny day for some errands. Its so cold that the roads are bone-dry in most streets. The snow just cakes up, ices up and snaps off with the traffic. No slush or salt to bother the car.

Of course when its that cold, you can't breathe heavy, until the heater catches up. You'd be scraping your breath off from the inside.

You're right, get all the parts you think you'll need, especially when its so close by. (y)

9. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys I got the other passenger side back door to replace the slightly dented door I already have. I was also able to find a blue colored back passenger door panel from a local salvage yard. This is the color Blue that I plan on painting the entire interior. What do yall think? I was also able to nab a interior dome light w/ map lights and a few other smaller items as well. I started removing all the trim and cleaned up everything and will continue working tommorrow.

10. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I decided to take the week off being that the weather was gonna be great! I disassembled the passenger side doors and fender and replaced them with the "dent free" used ones I found. I had a hard time lining everything back up, but being the first time I have ever done this the doors open and close easily and the fender to hood gaps are pretty much dead on. I switched the door key lock mechanism and decided not to strip the parts due to the body shop will be removing these items again when it comes time to paint. I figured I'd learn to do it so they don't try and tell me it takes "forever" to do this. I know it takes an amatuer one day to remove and replace so no hiking up the labor rates ya know.

Attached Files:

11. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Sorry Guys, Yall may have noticed that some of the photos are gone. I had to delete some of the photos due to I was at my limit. Any ideas what I need to do to keep the thread going w/o having to remove photos??? :confused:

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I found out that you can only post 5 pictures per post. OOP Object Oriented Programming has its limits. The other issue might be picture size. You can use a freebie download to resize them down to 640 X 480 pixels or less and still keep the picture quality.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDownload.htm

Other than that, Stefan might have to increase your upload quota, but I'm sure you ain't there yet.

13. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

When I upload the photos there is a "red line" vs green letting me know that I am close to my limit. The last group of photos I uploaded let me know that I was at my limit and I needed to delete some, so I did. :cry:

Stefan, if you're reading, any help with this will be appreciated. :dance:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  14. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

First off, I want to apologize that I haven't updated my thread, but in all reality I really haven't done much other than get bids for the paint and body work. I think I have decided on a shop, with help from the City. Let me explain some if yall haven't figured it out. The City came by and left a placard on my door. The almighty "Junked Vehicle / Abandoned Vehicle" catch all. I have until the 14th of this month (April) to move my wagon or face the rath. LOL! Being a player in the game...hence the GPD294..I understand that the rules are in place for the greater good so I'll play by the rules. I've got my paint/body man coming by this week to pick up my wagon. We went over all my concerns and a few he pointed out, so hopefully in the near future I'll post some new photos of the exterior, if not, it'll just be the interior stuff I will be doing at home.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  15. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well the wagon is gone. Off to the shop. The City is happy, I'm happy, and now the real work begins. Here are a few pics of todays event. Here in Texas we tend to want to ride everything like a horse. LOL! :rofl2: That's my painter getting her loaded up.

Attached Files: