1973 Torino Tribute Restoration

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by gpd294, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well guys I've started my gutting and cleaning process. I have removed all the wood panel trim carefully, which will be up for sale soon, if anyone is interested. As a kid we had a 1973 torino wagon that we would take our family vacations in so as a tribute to my Dad, who passed away 3 years ago, I am going to attempt to restore this wagon like the one I remember growing up as a kid. Now, I also have began the interior gutting by removing the seats and carpet. Surprise, surprise! the worst words you can here from your doctor.....RUST!... Actualy I already knew I had some, but wasn't sure the extent until I removed all the carpet and jute backing. I was pleasantly surprised. Being a Texas car for most of her life she has some small "swiss cheese" on the floor boards and in the back hidden cargo area. Now on to the next question. I am a father of 2 and on a limited budget so I can't afford going the "cut out and weld in new sheet metal" route. I'd like to do most of the work myself to save the Almighty green backs for the stuff I know I can't do. What do yall recommend is the 2nd best way of taking care of the problem. I have enclosed a few pics so yall can see what I'm dealling with. I have researched some stuff called POR-15 that claims is a rust stopper and they also make a putty that does the same thing. Have any of you used this stuff and would you recommend it?? Any help would be appreciated. I am still learning the navigation of the site so if this topic has already been discussed, I apologize for the repeat question. On that note, please direct me to the link if there is one. Thanks guys

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You're right, it's not too bad, YET! Rust is a fungus, like mold and mushrooms. You have to get down to the root of the rusty 'infection' or it will come back. The only way to do that is to 'etch' it out. You've got two options:
    1. Chop and Braize new metal
    2. Use a chemical etch.

Option 2, has a good and best option. The good one does get down to the root, but doesn't leave any protection - means coating it - costing more money. Since it is the floor, you'll coat it anyway, hopefully on both sides. Underneath, you'll have to use something like POR15's finishes, and an rust undercoat - the undercoat serves to prevent chipping and act as a sound deadener.

You'll probably use POR15 on the inside, maybe primer and paint, and probably those sound deadener pads like the originals. BUT!!!

You've got to get the rust off or out. POR15 make a great etcher that also leaves a protective zinc coating (like galvanized steel, but without any thickness) called Metal Ready. It works on Steel and aluminum and I used it. About $40. for a gallon. Worth far more! I used on steel brackets, and my aluminum mouldings to get rid of the oxidizing on the aluminum, and clean off the rust. The best, affordable option to dunking the whole car into an acid bath!

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=2

Here's my link on how I used it:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708

The interior sound deadener sound pads are about $7 per square foot. There are more expensive ones like Dynamat, but I used Evercoat's Q-pads.

http://www.evercoat.com/products.aspx

AND, here's a site that deals especially with sheetmetal treatment, shaping and brazing.
    http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/
    One cheap way that I braze sheetmetal is with MEP/OXY kits you can get in 'Propane' kits from BernzoMatic. Just make sure you get the right rods and good welding goggles (yardsale or secondhand stores). Practice on some junk metal. Does a nice job. Initial setup costs are less than $50.
    http://www.bernzomatic.com

TIG welders would be ideal, but you still need to buy gas and wire. I think the 120 VAC TIG units go for around $200.

And get a pop-rivet kit. ProForm makes a good sealant after you're done using the pop rivetted piece in place for tack welding and its paintable.

Hope that's a good kickstart. ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  3. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well the floor boards are done. I followed the directions to the tee using the Marine Clean and Metal Ready to prep the area. So now we'll see just how great this POR-15 really is. Unfortunately though the "starter kit" that claims covers 12 sq ft wasn't enough so I had to get another quart from a local vender. (the only size they sell). I should have enough to do the underside as well. I used the POR-15 Patch (in a tube) to seal the small pin holes and then sealed it all up with the paint. Since the area will be covered with carpet I may just leave it "as-is", unless someone has another suggestion??? Anyway, here are few pics of the end results of the floorboards. Next is the small back cargo area, which hopefully I'll get to this next weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Are you impressed? I sure am! :)

5. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice job! I have always liked the woodgrain 72-75 Gran Torino Squire wagons! I would like to see more of this car. It looks like the one that was on a episode of "CHIPS" season 1. It was in a car chase. :eek:.

We had a neighbor from 1983-85 that had a 1973 Gran Torino wagon.. not a Squire, but it was a nice optioned car. Brown on brown and I distinctly remember a dent on the RR door. 100% rust free car, what, being a southern car and only 10 years old at the time! :) I was only about 7 years old, but I remember the car... even then I liked stationwagons. :) She traded it for a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba. :( It was a neat car too though.

There is a guy here locally with a 1973 Gran Torino wagon.... green on green. Low actual miles, no rust, excellent interior. He had contacted me, thinking I would be interested, but I want a Country Squire wagon. He said it was his dads car and he wants $3000 for it.

6. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well thank you very much. I plan on restoring this wagon like the one we had as a kid. My Dad bought a brand new 1973 Torino wagon back in '73. That wagon was Silver Blue Glow exterior and medium blue interior. I am working on a few rust issues right now, but luckily because this wagon was sitting for approx 18 years in a garage it's not as bad as it could have been. I bought the car locally after looking for about 2 years. It doesn't run yet, but it's on my list of things to do. Haa!

Anyway here are few pics of what I have done thus far, mostly disassembly and cleaning, but I hope to tackle the back cargo area soon to rid it of the small rust issue as well.

Notice her new shoes..haa! Gotta love the internet and sites like this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. oldmopar

oldmopar Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks good one other suggestion for killing rust is phosphoric acid does a good job of killing rust and cheaper the the p15 stuff you dilute it about 2-1 water to acid I
    it is also sold in a ready to use form under names like rust buster or the must for rust and a few other Keep if off rubber.chrome, glass and stuff like that. I recently found the one called the must for rust in my local home depot by the paints it comes in a spray bottle which is great for floors and large pieces.
    Ed

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, its illegal in Manitoba. We have huge pig and cattle ranchers up here dumping animal waste into our rivers and lakes that the fish are deforming, so even soaps are going to be prohibited if they have phosporous. Vinegar and salt does a good job too. You just put a soaked rag with a plastic wrap on it for about 2 hours for surface rust, and maybe a couple days for the really deep rust.

9. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    man...your really going to town on her!!....kudos

10. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rev, she's coming around slowly, but surely. I've gotten a few more parts recently that I need to install.

72 King, was this the 73 Torino you mentioned above?? This looks like a great car and if it were blue it would be pretty close to what my Dad bought new. This one for sale is a Gran Torino so the front grill and lower body moldings are different than the plain jane version Torino. The base Torino wagon did not have the wide side lower moldings, but did have the thin mid way up side body/door moldings. Either way a great car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...m14QQhashZitem200260996763QQitemZ200260996763

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  11. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Just in case it gets sold and you can't see the photo:

[​IMG]

1973 Gran Torino Station Wagon (y)

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Pretty car. I like that colour too.

13. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I had one just like this except the color was a much lighter green. In today speak it was seafoam green. Non-metalic paint. Same wheel covers too.

14. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

My Aunt and Uncle had that same car and lighter green color you speak of, but their's was a '75 model and my Mother-in-law had a brown on brown '74 model Gran Torino wagon. When my wife told me that I about flipped. What a small world. :rofl: She grew up in El Paso and I was clear up in Indiana.

15. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I had bought mine in Sunnyvale California in May of 76 at Holiday Ford. If I remember it had 32,000 miles on it. 97,000 when we sold it. We moved across country for Jacksonville Fl a month later. We sold it in 1978 for $1,900 because gas prices shot up to $0.55 per gallon. We couldn't afford the $20 a week on gas.:rofl2: It had the 400 with a two barrel carb. We got 13mpg in town and on a very good day could get 16 highway.