1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 454

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 7, 2015.

1. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I decided not to sell. I decided, instead, to put a brand new crate 454 with 500hp under the hood and have something incredibly fun to drive! I will add a photo of the motor after I have it installed, 2-3 weeks. I pulled the craigslist add. The car is simply too much fun and I get so many compliments I just can't sell it!

2. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

WagonKiller likes this.
  3. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Is the original engine in need of a rebuild? If not then all the power to you but you're going to drop the value of that wagon doing that. I'd just drive it as is and then sell it in a couple of years when you want something else. It's not a Camaro so why drop 500 hp in it?

WagonKiller likes this.
  4. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Mine came stock with a 454. I think a 400 was an option for that year as well.

5. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

It is not in need of a rebuild. It runs fine. I am keeping the car so I really don't care if the value drops. Plus, I am keeping the original motor for the car in the event I decide down the road to sell it. Why not have a grandmother wagon all stock with a big motor under the hood? Fun!

I have spent enough money on my 2012 Jeep Unlimited 4 door, so time so spend a bit on the wagon...it is a "fun car" for me.

6. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I need to correct myself. My 1972 454 engine came stock with a whopping 230HP.

7. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Probably easier to just change the intake and carb maybe on it to get another 50 hp without pulling the whole engine. Heck you could put aluminum heads on it and keep it looking stock for less money and get some weight off the front end. I don't know I have a rebuilt mostly stock 455 in my Buick wagon and it moves down the road fast enough for a 5300 lb car with antiquated brakes and steering by today's standards. I wouldn't want much more horsepower in these big tanks unless you upgrade the brakes etc.. know your trans can handle the additional horsepower and the list goes on. I have a fast Mustang that can handle braking in an emergency which I know my wagon can't do! Good luck with your project.

WagonKiller likes this.
  8. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

My 75 estate wagon SCREAMED with the built 71 455 poncho in it and the brakes worked JUST FINE! I was impressed actually

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  9. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

No "Lift" Just know how of factory suspension and what bolt on parts to use from "other " GM cars. Is a bit of work, But I hate bottoming out. I used it for a truck and could generally out pull one. and loaded it never sagged.

10. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Guess depends where you drive and the other drivers around you. Here's a good video of a 71 Olds road test showing how well our cars handle and brake! Don't get me wrong, great cars to drive but I'm not going to go 80 mph and expect my tank to stop anytime soon.

11. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

You may be right from a cost standpoint...but if you don't change out rings/pistons/crank and only upgrade intake/carb and heads you aren't accomplishing much. Intake/Carb will run a few hundred, aluminum heads are over a grand, and not changing any bottom end components only gets you so far.

I don't care about the stopping, cornering, etc. I have disposable...shall we say...disposable income. I poured over 50K into my Jeep so that I can drive it on the road but take it to the extremes without making it "goddy". For my wagon, a car I wanted to relive my childhood in...driving rather than being in a seat, I am choosing to put the exact same engine but with way more hp/torque under the hood and leaving the car "stock".

If I recall, without googling or what not, these wagons had the same rear end and transmission in 1970 and in 1970 the engine had 435 or 450hp. For all of the people that say I need to beef up the tranny/rear end I think they don't realize that 2 years earlier this car had the same stuff with more hp. So, I am simply spending disposable cash on a mother fucker of an engine.

If I have the money...why not?

12. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I was expecting more of a "holy shit that is bad ass" type of response from individuals on this forum as opposed to the naysayer's.

1) I have a super cool 1972 Kingswood Estate Wagon that I purchased locally from the second owner. The car had 55,000 miles on it and has been garaged for 43 years.
    2) I bought it because I wanted to relive my childhood, behind the wheel rather than a passenger.
    3) I thought I could list it and see about selling it, the highest offer being $10K and I turned it down.
    4) I decided to pull the add, put a 500HP motor under the hood whilst keeping the rest of the car stock (based upon my mechanic's advice...who happens to have 30+ years of experience building hot rods/custom/restorations on factory shit) to buy a new motor with the HP rather than rebuilding a motor that needs nothing.

I am not looking to drive this wagon on a windy road or what not, this will be nothing more than a grocery getter that can haul serious ass in a straight line. I do realize for all of the naysayers that this auto is not meant to be a race car. I do realize that it can bottom out because of the suspension and how low it is. I fucking know this. I drive it daily for FUN. I have pot holes in the dirt roads that lead to my property and on more than one occasion have I found the bottom of them.

When I come to a stop light and there is a new (maybe not new) Vette or Camaro or Charger next to me, I want to stuff that fucking gas pedal and laugh my ass off. There you have it. If anyone cannot understand this, I don't have problems, you do.

13. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Do what you want. It's your car and your money. I'm just trying to save a mint original fairly rare wagon from getting cut up. Put slicks on it and NOS and go after Shelby Mustangs if you want.

14. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Take it to the extreme. Beat me up because I have something you don't have. If you want to save the car from being "cut up" then buy the thing from me. If you are trying to save it, pay the $11K (in which I have all receipts and saved all factory parts) and buy the car. I will eventually find another. If I don't, I know where there is a sick ass 1976 caddy coupe de ville that I can drop my motor in.

I don't take offense to your comments, I cherish them. I see individuals jealous of what I have but don't have the coin to pony up in order to purchase this beautiful wagon and make it there own.

Fucking hilarious...."Put slicks on it and NOS and go after Shelby Mistangs if you want". Let us get some things straight....

1) I do not have any intentions of changing anything on this car than simply dropping in an engine that produces a bit more HP than a stock 454 from 1970.
    2) I do not intend to put this in the Dakar rally, or any other event that includes windy roads driven over distances longer than 1/4 mile.
    3) I want the car to remain 100% stock, less and except the motor. I want a nut busting rig your grandmother drives (well maybe not anymore) to the grocery store in a straight line fast, if not faster, than a muscle car or comparative thereof.
    4) I am not "cutting up" my wagon. I am merely taking a stock 230hp 454 and installing a 500hp 454, NO OTHER CHANGES. I AM KEEPING THE ORIGINAL MOTOR in the event I wish to sell it after all of my fun.
    5) I do not plan on selling it. The first words out of my daughter's mouth (3.5 years old) when we take a cruise is "PAPA, GO FASTER".
    6) Hearing my daughter say "PAPA, GO FASTER" is more satisfying to me, as a dad, as a wagon owner, as a crazy mother fucker for "chopping up" a wagon to make myself, and my daughter happy.

The money is not an issue. I see it is with a lot of people, however I am blessed with a wonderful job, a loving wife and an awesome daughter. I am sure you have some nice shit. Congrats. Don't piss on me for my intentions.

Typically, I over modify shit. This time, I simply drop a screamer motor under the hood and keep the original should I decide to sell. At this point, I don't sell. I have fun. Come out to Cheyenne in a month and enjoy the fun.

15. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Fucking hilarious video by the way, I forgot to add that to my response! The music almost made me shit my pants!