1971 Kingswood Estate Chevy Impala S/W

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by cegow, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The April 2011 issue of the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a 1972 Kingswood Estate 3-seat station wagon in #4 condition (good running condition but needing full restoration to bring it to showroom condition) at $2100.

You replaced a great many parts on your car, so that will help, but your description of the car cosmetically ("dings and rubs on the passenger side, right rear door needs adjustment, steering box has very slow leak, AC switch/relays need replacement, acid hole under rear sear, front seat tracks need work, and small teat on dr side seat") would put it firmly in the "needs restoration" category.

Get it to #3 condition ("car show quality," or "a 20-footer"), and the OCPG value rises to $4730.

Given the work you have done, I'd say more than the $2100. Maybe $2500? Maybe $3000?

P.S. How does one get an "acid hole" under a seat? Were you transporting bottles of acid and one broke open and spilled onto the floor? Also, is this hole only in the carpet, or does it go all the way through the floor? How big is the hole? A quarter-inch? Six inches?

2. montanaghost

montanaghost New Member

Wagon Garage:
    the fall 2010 issue of "Motor Trend Classic" did a good article called "Draggin Wagons"
    In the article, they were comparing the top of the line big block 425HP 427 CI Kingswood Estate 69 Chevy, against the 428 CI 69 Ford Country Squire. The Chevy's output was 425HP@5600 RPM, 460 ft/lbs @ 4000 rpm, the Ford 428 was 360HP @ 4600rpm, 480 ft/lbs @2800. the top concourse de elegance cond. value of each was chevy:$23,700, solid driver,12,500, Ford: cde:$18,300/SD, $8600, tired runner=
    chevy:$6900, ford:$4200. So, as you can see,early pre-smog big block top trim level
    Chevy wagons, and not far behind, the same condition Ford wagons are fast becoming not only very hard to come by, but when you DO find a good solid one, better be prepared to PAY! Again, this info comes direct from Fall 2010 issue Motor Trend Classics, written by Frank Markus,and if you so desire, I imagine it would still be on their website. motortrendclassic.com

3. rsherid

rsherid RSHERID

Wagon Garage:
    South Eastern "Brockville" Ontario Canada
    Frank emailed me about his car. He said it is a two seater and that he had been considering selling the engine for $1000. to his neighbour to put in his Corvette. I tried to talk him out of it and told him he would be turning it into a derby car if he did.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Is that a lot of money for a 402?

5. cegow

cegow New Member

Thanks to all for you advice and info...as i emailed Bob Sheirdan, I'm going to take that advice and get pics out as well as detailed description of the wagon which I believe will present a clearer pic of its condition. What got me stated on this activity was my neighbor who knew I had it in my garage and wants to buy it for the the 402 bb engine for currently being restored corvette. I'll be back with a new ad that gives pics and a much better description.

6. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    John,

I couldn't agree with you more about the dash design on the '71-'76 Impala/Caprice. Sometimes I get my "fix" looking up other ads for these cars, wishing I could buy a second. My dad had a '71 Impala wagon, then a '76 Caprice Estate. These are my all time favorite models. :1st:

cegow,

May I ask why you're selling? Can't wait to see pics! PLEASE do not part your wagon out nor let it fall into the hands of a derby. I mentioned this to one other forum member here who has a '72 and was anxious to sell once upon a time: PM me with rights of last refusal. I love these wagons and if the situation allows me, I'll come get it if it means saving it from a derby. I wish you the best of luck in finding a new, caring home for your wagon.

7. rsherid

rsherid RSHERID

Wagon Garage:
    South Eastern "Brockville" Ontario Canada
    He wanted the tranny to. I assume with the BB that its a TH400. There are lots of them on Ebay. A $1000 for the pair sounds like a heck of a good deal. I think Frank would rather see the whole car go to a good home.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  8. montanaghost

montanaghost New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I do believe that practically any Big Block nicely optioned decent condition wagon, with a heavy leaning towards the "Bid Three" brands should be considered an investment, as good examples are fast becoming very rare items, and, if you are very lucky, and stumble across an example of an unrestored one that is in very nice condition with that Big Block mill, be prepared to pay serious $$$$. as most of them have been snatched up simply to remove it's motor to stuff under a muscle car's hood. Most people have no idea just what a 69 Kingswood Estate 427 is really worth! ($23,000) in near perfect condition. They ARE out there. I found, as I have stated here, an 87 Crown Vic Wagon, with 63,000 documented miles, that looks about one year old! I spent over 5 months looking for just the right wagon, and just lucked out with this one! The pre-sale inspection revealed a car that was meticulously maintained. I paid $3500 for it, and I know I will get another 100K out of her as I volunteer as a driver for the American Cancer Society taking those who cant drive, or don't have a car to their appointments and treatments. but, back to what I was saying, if you can order a back issue from Motor Trend, get their "fall 2010" issue of "Motor Trend classics" as there is a great article on wagons called "Draggin Wagins"