1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon...

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by pvan, Jun 19, 2012.

1. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    darn Paul....she gonna be to pretty to sit in:49:

looks great!!!:)

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great, pvan!(y)

3. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, amazing. Great work!

Question: The third row opposing seats (just the padded parts). How do they come out?

4. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the props!

As far as the seats go, the lowers have slotted tabs on either end of the seat that slip over a bolt. Loosen the bolt and lift the seat off. The uppers hook on the back of the rear decking toward the top and have two bolts that go in metal loops at the bottom. Very easy to get in and out.

As close as you are, I'd be happy to have you over to check it out some time, or once I have it on the road I could probably find my way out your way. Just let me know.

5. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Way too long since I lasted posted!

Things have been chaotic. Wife has had multiple business trips, the holidays, installed a 4-post lift in the garage which required converting the trusses in the middle bay to rafters, my job dried up, and started a new one. That's a busy 3 months!

Anyhow, I am getting back into doing some work, so I should have more posts and pictures following, but today is about counting the minutes until the arrival of my NOS dash pad. Mine has a pretty good split down the middle, but I was able to locate an NOS one and it is being delivered today - still in the factory plastic!

I'm also going to grab some spare glass (hopefully) this weekend while we have our unseasonably warm weather.

Dash pad arrived and looks great!

P1010004.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. BPinsent

BPinsent Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    An NOS dashpad? WOW that's better than Christmas!
    Where they heck did that come from?

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    For SURE!! I didn't know there WERE any NOS pads around anymore. Especially for cars that old!

8. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Over the pas 5 years or so, I have seen only a handful of NOS pads between Craigslist, swap meets and eBay. This is the ONLY '67 Merc full size pad that I have seen for sale, so the fact that it is NOS makes it all the more special.

I have a crack at the speaker and one extending from the speaker on my current dash. I could do a repair (and probably still will) on the current dash, but a to have it done right at someplace like JustDashes in California is VERY expensive. I've heard $800-$1,200 or more, so getting an NOS one for what I paid, I am thrilled!

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup...you SHOULD be thrilled. That's a real find!(y)

10. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Another big score...

Got lucky again and over the weekend I was able to pick up a complete set of glass, a correct Mercury roof rack (need to sell the Ford one now), and a bunch of really nice trim from around the back of the car.

Oh yeah, got a great rear bumper, too! Looks to be straight and true, and with a little polish should clean up nicely. It does have a trailer hitch attached to it, so I will have to decide if I keep that one, or use the brand new 40 year old one that I have instead. Low priority. Just glad to have the parts.

11. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A quick update: the dash pad has been dyed black and looks like new ... because it is. :jumping:I have started pulling interior pieces to clean and prep for redye, or to strip off the old vinyl and apply new.

The lower dash and column really need a freshening up, but the dash is a major pain to pull with the factory air, so I am going to try something crazy once the interior is puled and I will paint the lower dash in the car. I'll pull the column and brackets to do out of the car, but I am going to do my best to do the lower in place.

P1010001-2.jpg P1010014-2.jpg

I need to apply some heat and work out some small wrinkles in the tight curves, but these will present soooo much nicer than the 45 year old ones.

I have already redone much of the interior trim using SEM "Super White" which is a very close match to original, and the new upholstery. I have recovered one of the two padded A-pillars and the spare tire cover. Both of the larger panels need to be done as well, and I have vinyl for them, but I don't have a way to stitch them up. I need to find an upholsterer who can handle the job. Anyone know someone in Southeastern Michigan who would take on what should be a pretty easy small job?

P1010003-2.jpg P1010015-2.jpg

Note: Since this picture I have tucked the little bubble by the handle so it is smooth.

Finally, I did the rear springs on the car. Mine have been completely shot and sinking as the car sits. When pulled, they were almost two inches shorter than the new ones. What a difference!

Hope to be showing redyed door panels next post ...

12. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    should be rollin in no time huh Pvan??(y)

13. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It seems with kids and household projects, nothing wants to go too quickly. =-)

I spent the weekend working on moving stuff around in the garage so I could insulate and hang drywall. Tons of work after nines years of build-up, but I cleared a bunch of stuff out that should have been tossed 8 years ago.

No I have a little breathing room, and a lot more heat in this less-than-hospitable Spring.

14. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Drywall done, so I pulled the door panels to rework them. They're a bit rough, and I'm debating trying to remove the vinyl and make new backer boards for a couple of them. Either way, they will get a fresh coat of vinyl dye, and I'm going to try to apply chrome tape to replace the delaminating chrome front he accents trim on the panels.

I also need to spray the arm rests. 3 out of 4 are good usable, while one either needs repair or replacing. Anyone have spares (Ford or Mercury, thinking they are the same)?

I also started stripping out Bondo and banged on the doors a bit. The DS front and rear doors were tagged up high at one point and never really repaired. Going to be spending some quality time with hammers and dollies (and other tools) to try to get these closer to right. I'll post some pics soon. For rust-free doors, it's a shame the condition they are in.

15. Hfab5

Hfab5 New Member

Great write up pvan! Can't wait to see it finished. Are you going to change the exhaust exit from straight out the back, or leave it like that?