1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon...

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by pvan, Jun 19, 2012.

1. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    While I have been awful about posting here, the work continues on the wagon and hope to move into paint soon. In the meantime, I now have the wheels I will run. I recently picked up a project that had a donor car with a set of old, rusty Cragar S/S wheels. I have taken them to be sandblasted and now powder coated in Wimbledon White. Now I just need to get a set of knock-off center caps for them and decide if I will be painting the centers a bright aluminum metallic. I'm leaning toward keeping them white. What do you think? Ever forward!

IMG_1181.JPG

2. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Whoa. Based on that one wheel in your attached pic, it looks like you are going to be running some wiiiiiiiiiiide tire in the back.

I recommend not painting the centers until you get the car painted and the wheels on, so you can see how it will look together. That way you don't do something you regret, or have to redo.

3. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not that wide. I believe they are 9", so I'll probably run something around 275 width. Enough to give it a little meat in the back, but not get nutty.

And, I agree, nothing else happens with them until I have paint on the car. I can mock them up and then test different treatments in PhotoShop.

4. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The knock-off center caps came today. The mounting screws are too short, but I really like the look!

IMG_1209.jpg

5. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure I posted this before (I couldn't find it) but here is a quick before and after of cleaning up the steering column after switching to a floor shifter. I have factory tilt, and didn't want to try to find a floor-shift column. VERY easy to do.

New Radio Installed.jpg
    DSCN0129.JPG

Grizz likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Your project has really come along nicely. I appreciate your attention to detail and the photo documentation. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

7. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, much appreciated. As I tell people, I look forward to seeing it, too!

8. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looking good. I love the wheel choice. Some 275-60's should work well. But be careful with that offset. Looks like those wheels have a slightly negative offset, which will push them out some.

9. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Finished up work on the fenders and they are ready for paint. I also took a little time to coat the insides with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Most was clean original paint, or the factory primer on the NOS fender, but there were a couple of small areas of chipped paint and surface rust. I gave it a quick sand and used a foam brush to coat the entire underside. Hopefully that will slow down the onset of any future rust!

10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was going to order some of that Rust Encapsulator for one of my cars. I heard it was easier to work with than POR-15. How did you like it?

11. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've never worked with POR-15, but the Rust Encapsulator was nice to work with. You need to keep it mixed while you work with it and it likes to dry to tacky very rapidly, so best to come back for touch ups a few minutes after application. It also applies over a rough surface better than smooth when using a foam brush as I did. Working with the brush fairly wet, it was easy to coat all surfaces.

I will caution that it is very stinky, so if you can work out doors out of the wind and direct sunlight/high temps is best. Wind and warm weather will also accelerate the drying and can even cause a skin to form in the can.

I did the front end area of my car and then top-coated with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black. Looks awesome!

12. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Starting reassembly of front end for paint. Sneaking outside when the weather permits. Until it warms up and stays dry, I won't be able to get too much done, but moving forward again!
    IMG_2094.JPG

13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Glad to hear your back at it.
    I hope the weather cooperates.

14. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Installed the A/C condensor, grill header panel and hood. Hood looks a little tweaked, so I will need to make a couple of adjustments to clean up the fit.
    17203226_1300767219958911_4124032238814960471_n.jpg

15. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cleaning up the seams on the doors (light surface rust) and sanding everything in preparation for 2K application. Also drilling and cutting holes for the vacuum locks and power windows hoses and wiring. Hoping to apply May 12th!

By the way, does anyone have a picture of the rear door where the harness enters on a '66-'68 Full-size Ford or Mercury?

Thanks in advance...