1964 Comet 404 V8, C4 wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by blacksnake, Aug 13, 2010.

1. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Not sure what you are seeing Norman, but no there are no Seatbelts on the B pillar just good ol fashion floor mounted lap belts, there is a bungee cord hangin in one of the pics, not sure if that is what you saw, Thanks For looking

2. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Looking really, really nice, Blacksnake. Now comes the fun part, putting er all back together. From the pics, I'd say the painter did a very good job. Congrats.

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    At the top of the B-pillar, it looks like it might be capable of receiving a self-threading seatbelt bolt, inside the "V" indent, and likewise at the base of it.

4. Sean J Nowak

Sean J Nowak New Member

The wagon looks pretty sweet. I've got the same one (only i'm just starting the rust removal). Do you still have extra tail light pieces?

5. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Yes

I have several extra pieces for the wagon, PM me and i will give you a run down and maybe i can help you out.
    Post some pics...............It is always nice to see another 64 Ryan

6. Willyswagon

Willyswagon Hoser.

I'm gonna start hangin out here more often, too cool. I'm diggin it.

7. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

No real update

Well sorry for no recent updates but I have been busy with work as well as buttoning up the new drive train for the mustang. The mustang is home now but still needs a few bugs worked out, alignment, final tune etc.

Next for the wagon will be to start to detail the motor from the donor Mustang. It is a 1965 289 Block so I painted it black as it came in the stang, I am however contemplating painting it Ford Blue for the wagon and painting the headers white for the nostalgic look, it will have an aluminum intake and the stock heads, let me know what yall' think, have a good weekend

Ryan

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Didn't the 65 289's have gold valve covers and air cleaner assembly?

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Just read all the posts on this thread.......backwards of course,lol! Should be a great looking wagon based on the other car pics posted. Anyone remember the Comet that used to appear in just about every Andy Griffith episode? Silver 2 door, maybe a 62-63 model? Wished I belonged to a car building club like you guys.

10. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Yes sir, black with gold valve covers,now that u mention it,that may be cooler than the aluminum Ford racing valve covers I already have, Ry

11. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

Blacksnake,

I have been following the transformation of the Merc wagon ,and it is amazing....also agree on the black/gold color combo on the engine/valve covers...that is what I intend on doing on my '65 falcon 2 dr wagon v8....I am still trying to keep up with you with my restoration but still getting the body back in shape

12. jandt69

jandt69 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    blacksnake, Mine looks a lot like yours. I'm in awe of the work you have done. Love to see your progress to date. I've uploaded so pics of my ride but I'm not sure if I did it right or if I put them in the right place. jandt69

13. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Nice

Yup you put them in the right place, what are your plans for the wagon, it looks pretty good as it is, do you have or need any extra parts? I have a few if you need something, I need some trim for one of my doors, do you have an M gas cap? I was able to find one in Detroit for about 200 bucks, it is worth it though, keep in touch and keep me posted, nice hearing from a fellow Mercury guy!!! I am going to get to work on the car all day tomorrow, its a court holiday,,, Ryan

14. jandt69

jandt69 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, when I get back from vacation March 1st, I plan on trying to finish the wiring so I can at least get it drivable again. I did pretty much with my 63 conv. what you did with your wagon, drove it home and started tearing it apart. This one is in pretty good shape body wise. Needs usual dry rotted weatherstiping around windows and doors. Yes the wagon has the M cap but trim on the top and bottom of the cap is missing. Bought some dash trim pieces (radio bezel, heater controls) off ebay that were better than mine. What have you done about refinishing the plastic instument cluster? Have you found any taillight bucket to body gaskets? Also need a sparetire cover. Mine is missing. Did I mention that some of the wiring is toast! Have not had this progect too long so I don't have any spare parts except maybe the parts of the dash that are being replaced and am still discovering what I need. I appreciate the work that you've done on yours ( been there, done that, not sure I want to go there again ) Like to see some recent pics of yours. They may be on here somewhere already. Still fumblin' my way around this site. Have a good day working on it. jandt69

15. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

No gaskets either, I sent my dash cluster thingy to a company in Texas, they plastic re-chromed it for 80 bucks, I will have the other dash pieces re-chromed and I am leaving everything chrome instead of painting the back parts flat black. I have 2 passenger side tail lamp buckets complete with lenses as well as an extra set of NOS lenses for the rear, I have extra trim for the tailgate, and I have an M gas cap complete with trim but thats not available, lol.

There is no real updated pics of the wagon as I have been pulling the motor out of my 65 fastback (mustang) and replacing it with a 306 and 5 speed, just now have 300 miles on set up.

All of the mustang drive train will go into the COmet, 289 with C4 and 8 inch rear with 2.80 gears.
    It is going to cost about 1000 just for the rubber I need for this car, the wiring appears to be OK, I drove the car a couple miles. Will get new upper and lower suspension, with cut springs and the power steering is going back on, I will add a power brake booster and disc brakes to the front, The interior will be exact stock, ugly ass vinyl seats (the pattern is ugly) with a red headliner and gold piping, red carpet and I will make a spare tire cover.

All we did today was assemble the fold down seat and re assembled the heater box, I want to POR 15 the underside of the roof now that it is repaired, so that will prob be next the I will start the underside, as far as making it driveable.

IN my spare time I will start to detail the motor, goin black block with gold valve covers, it gonna be a while but I will post pics here more often now that the stang is done, have a good weekend Oak