1960 Studebaker Wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by mlhayes, Jan 22, 2012.

1. StudeDave57

StudeDave57 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh yes- I know of the Cades. Richard might be one of Stephen's brothers...?
    I first met Stephen over 20 years ago during my first NAVY tour at NAS Jacksonville. I was stationed at NS Mayport about ten years later and made more then a few trips down to G'Ville. The Cade's place was nothing short of AMAZING!!! They had three VERY LARGE buildings packed with very nicely restored Studes. One other larger building full was of parts (since sold) and yet another smaller building was used as the resto shop and storage of 'next on the list' cars. The last time I was there they also had about 100 parts cars in the woods around the place. I have heard that most of the parts cars have been scrapped. The parts were sold (see my post above) and split up among two of the larger StudeVendors in the Country. They used to have an open house once a year, but I do not know if that is still the case. I left Florida in 2002, and have not had a chance to return as yet.

2. johnandcathy

johnandcathy New Member

nice stude!

don't know if your looking for parts (we are, we have a 64 daytona wagonaire) and there is a studebaker swapmeet coming up in York, PA first weekend in March, and then another in May in Southbend, IN- Good luck getting her on the road again.:Welcome:

3. 66TC

66TC Active Member

Wagon Garage:

Chrysler started with a discbrake option in '66:)

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    StudeDave57 Sorry for late response. You are correct on the name being Stephan Cade, or Steven.
    Our son is Steven and they both seemed to hit it off since both love Studebakers also. It could have ben 2001 or 2002 when we went to a Studebaker show in G'ville at the Hilton on 34th st and on to the Cade farm and yard. It was an amazing place.
    Sadly we never went back. He had a lot of things our son wanted for his 1950 Commander, including a title with tag. Son's is still just sitting under a carport in our yard, waiting!:slap:

5. johnandcathy

johnandcathy New Member

they were an option on the 63 avanti- used the exact same brake system was also in ferrari, austin martin and jags in early 60's

6. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Brake job

Here are some pictures from my rear drum removal escapade last Sunday. What a job this turned out to be! Heat, tension, PB Blaster, pounding, and after an hour the LR was off. Everyone said to loosen the axle nut, but not take it completely off because drums and parts can fly if you don't. When this broke loose, it sounded like a shot gun going off. My wife came out to see if I was alright! The RR came off with much protest too, but it only took about 30 minutes.

Saturday I'll get to work on the brake replacement.

Mike

Attached Files:

7. StudeDave57

StudeDave57 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like you've got it under control. Congrats for being safe about it too!!!

8. mlhayes

mlhayes New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I worked on her for about 4 hours yesterday and got the right side rebuilt. I had no problems getting the axle out. Replaced the inner seal, cleaned the bearing and repacked it, took the 90 degree grinder with the wire brush and cleaned the backing plate up and repainted it, rebuilt the wheel cylinder and put everything back together.

I thought I'd get to the other side today, but while laying under my daily driver changing the oil, I noticed the outer CV boot was torn and it had thrown grease all over the place. So I decided that better take precedence over the Stude today. If I can't get to work, I won't have Studemoney, right? I'll get the other side done this week, and then I can move on to the dual master cylinder conversion.

Mike

Attached Files: