1958 Ford Ranch Wagon build "Class Project"

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by olivepick, Sep 25, 2009.

1. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The class has been fun, but I'm looking forward to some time off.

I've got my own station wagon that hasn't gotten any attention for months and I've got some plans to upgrade my garage before the next class starts in September - starting with wiring and plumbing in my latest purchase:
    [​IMG]

2. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    School BBQ

Last Friday was the end of school BBQ at the high school. I stayed home from work so I could take the car and show it off and recruit for next year.

I woke up in the morning to rain and wasn't very excited about taking the bare-metal car with no wipers out for a drive. I was about to bag it and go into work when I checked the hour-by-hour forecast:

[​IMG]

That looks like a sign to me. So I stayed home to go to the BBQ.

The night before we had put lettering on the window to promote the class - but we probably should have gotten white letters. The black is a little hard to see...
    [​IMG]

Here's the car outside the school.
    [​IMG]

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice to see her on the road again. Quite a difference since your team started. Does she get primed and painted now? Any new recruits?

Hope the school and students take advantage of your course. So many young people are hi-tech savvy, and dumb as a tack, when it comes to improvising, restoring, etc. and spend half their lives paying huge car payments and working the other half to pay interest on their car loans.

With what you had, you did very well. Hope your guys enjoyed the process. :thumbs2:

4. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Billetproof!

We made it to Billetproof! :yahoo:

[​IMG]

The boys were good sports about spending 5+ hours at a car show and enjoyed showing off the car and talking about the project with all the people who came by.

It felt so good to be at the show after all the work that went into the car over the last year. Now I can actually relax and start preparing for next years class - which starts in 11 weeks!

[​IMG]

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Well done! Enjoy the summer. Can't wait to see what you guys do next!(y)

6. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Hey, she's on the road and lookin' good. It was great following the progress throughout the year and I'm sure you've created some life long memories for your class members. Congrats on a job well done. I, too, will be eager to see it all done.

7. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

New to the Forum but it was nice lookin at your project, great job! Oak

8. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Hey Olivepick, any updates on the wagon or is everything in abeyance until school starts again?

9. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm trying to sell the wagon now to get a new project for next school year. School starts in a month, so if it doesn't sell this week I'll use it again and start gathering parts.

10. Drag'N Wagon

Drag'N Wagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did you decide not to do the trade/sale for the '64 Fairlane Wagon? I was kinda hoping that was the route you would go with so I could use the new class thread for insight on my wagon LOL!

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You too huh? :biglaugh:

I think you should do that Ranchwagon to the Nines, in the next class, and sell it for a potful, and hold the schoolboard's attention when you hand over the profits. They'd probably give you a better budget and more support. Gotta be one of the most useful skillsets a young person can learn. They will move and drive to better opportunities and travel sites. They might as well know where the dipstick goes. :rofl2:

12. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The fairlane was too nice - not enough of a project for me.

I've given myself this week as the deadline to sell the ranch - the CL ad expires on Friday.

Did you guys see the ranch wagon in the recent R&C?

[​IMG]

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice writeup. I was at the grocery store and guy behind the alley was restoring a 1964 Nova and had the mag in his pocket. I scanned the article while were yakkin'. His wife has the 2-door and he's got a 4-door Nova. Now she wants a Nomad (1957 of course). Women always push the envelope. At least his wife is like the Stickman's Twiggy. Out there in her coveralls, and getting the kids to pass the tools. :rofl2:

14. SquireDon

SquireDon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So if you're keeping the '58, what is your next class going to do? Upholstery? Primer & Paint? Your last years class really kicked it into gear and got alot done. I hope you can spread it all out to last the year, because if this years class is as good as last years, they're going to be twiddeling their thumbs by spring.

That '59 Ranch Wagon is Sweeeeet. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Where exactly is this '64 Ranch Wagon located? I am in the Portland/Metro area, and haven't seen one listed for sale anywhere. Is it in Seattle? If it is closer to me, I would be willing to take pics of the '64 ranch wagon for you, unless you are already decided on keeping the '58.

Anything to help your school program.

Don

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  15. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    There is still plenty to do to the '58. It starts up and idles, but it doesn't run real well at speed. The front suspension needs to be rebuilt and we really didn't do anything to the body besides grind off the surface rust.

Last year we had a great challenge - "get this thing running and driving for Billetproof". I worry that we won't have as much fun without a similar challenge, so I'm thinking of blowing the thing apart - remove all the suspsension, maybe the front sheet metal (maybe even the motor to replace the rear main seal). Then we can take a good "before" shot and have a good uphill battle to get it back on the road for Billetproof 2011.

The '64 fairlane is in Oregon, but I've decided to keep the '58. But thanks for the offer!