Wrecking yard or abandoned wagons

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by StriperSS, Sep 23, 2008.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The guy that bought Peace River Yard and crushed those beauties can be very thankful I don't know his name or where he lives.
    What a damn shame.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

:cry:

Makes me sad. Kinda sick to my stomach. RIP.

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was told by a friend who works in a wrecking yard where they also crushed most of their old stuff that the vintage car guys as a group actually were somewhat to blame. They'd phone and ask if they had a part, get a price, agree to it, then when the part was off and ready for pick up they'd want a better deal. It got to the point where they had a swack of parts they'd pulled off for guys who'd committed to buying, then balked at paying the agreed to price. When they'd let guys go in the yard themselves to take off the parts they'd strip other stuff they wanted but in the process often destroying saleable pieces to get to the part they wanted. In the end it was just too much cost to store the cars in spots that cars with more turnover could go, then the hassles selling the stuff, and finally as rules changed and letting a non-employee in to the yards became an insurance issue they just gave up and crushed them.

Sad to say, I know guys who would do that. Order the part, then figure when they got there find some tiny thing to make it look worse than they were told and do their best to weasel out a deal.

Too bad. As for cars on the Canadian Prairies I can attest to the fact that as soon as you get off the beaten path you are likely to find quite a lot of them. Same goes for Montana, the Dakota's and Idaho where we've traveled. As to whether the farmers are willing to part with the cars or parts thereof is up to your buying skills. Again, so many guys try their darndest to squeek out the lowest buck they have to pay that these guys get frustrated and just call in the scrap guys.

One thing to do is to attach yourself to a realestate person who deals in farms. I met a fellow in Idaho who have hundreds of cars and he gets 90% or more of them from farms that go up for sale and the new owners want all the old crap out of the yard before they take possession. He also thus has a pile of neat old farm equipment. His prices though are on what I'd consider the high side. He is a fan of sleezeBay and watches prices there which he then uses to price his stuff. Haven't been there in years but maybe next trip through we'll stop and see what he has.

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    HandyAndy found the seller in North Dakota to be pretty fair. He had the car out of the field, charged up, and ready for paperwork. We drove her back home. Even had some immigrants somewhere in there (field mice) and 30 extra pounds of ND mud. No Charge.

I was impressed at how the farmers lined up their "For Sale" vehicles, even old 1930's semi cabs (grain hauler rigs) along the fence, as well as old cars and trucks and farm implements. A rolling show room of about 300 miles long. Neat stuff.:thumbs2:

5. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I posted this before. This is a wrecking yard I went to while at college. It was about a half an hour away and anytime I was there, it was me, the cars, and some wild animals. Oh, as for the music, that was YouTube that changed my original music score. It was a early 70s motown track. This "dreamy fu fu" song was the closest I could find to replicate it.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTw7iyd1mc[/nomedia]

6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Sad but yet, a great vidio

7. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
  8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Damn shame.

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

10. DFGwagonman

DFGwagonman New Member

More info on the 2 yards

Your first picture is of ROD's project cars juat out side Saskatoon. Rod works in the rural areas of western Canada and brings these treasures to his yard. I have swapped wagons and parts with him over the years.

The second set of shots are from Peace River Auto Wreckers. Just north of Peace River Alberta. The yard had been though 3 different owners over the years. The inventory was from the last 50+ years.

The Peace area was part of my territory for 5 years and I was able to get parts for my 57 special post wagon and 59 Pontiac wagon there. The place was amazing.

3 years ago, when steel prices hit 160.00 + per ton the property was bought for the scrap, and all the treasures were crushed. The moron who bought it did'nt want to sell any parts or cars, just crush.

Derek:dance:

11. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You know, these derlicts are what dreams are made of. I first found my Mercury Parklane sitting in 5 foot high weeds. Wasps were nesting in the 4 barrel carb and mice had breeded inside the headliner pillers. It was caked with surface rust and the motor and transmission. Several thousands of dollars later it went from junker to jewl. I had to save it from the crusher. These may look rough but nothing is beyond hope .....for a price.

heres my merc after I finished all the mechinacal issues with it. It went in for paint. All the rust had to be sanded off.

[​IMG]

Heres the finished car, after almost 3 years of work on it. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  12. 73Catalina

73Catalina New Member

^^^^^^very nice:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

X2

I had a similar experience with my truck. Just because it's old and needs work doesn't mean it's scrap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Forever, you are a talented man.

Not just anyone can see a diamond in the rough. It takes a special vision

Most people would have, and did, write that Merc off for junk.
    But you saw it's potential...and turned it back into a jewel!

:tiphat: My hat's off to you! Nice job.

David :)

15. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Mercury was no easy project. Sending for parts, getting all the wrong parts , getting things that didnt fit even tho " The computer " said it was correct, all kinds of stuff went into this. The car was sitting in sum 3 feet of mud and weeds when I saw it. Along with a 62 Lincoln Continental and a 52 Chevy truck. The 1960 Ford panel Van was in such bad shape that the earth was literally taking it back. The Parklane seemed to be in the best shape of them all. As much as I love old Lincolns they can be an electrical nightmare. The driveline, the differentical , the motor and the Merc-O-Matic transmission all had to be redone. Then theres the stupid stuff, once the motor gets pulled and off to be rebuilt I had to buy new water pump, new radiator, the carb rebuild, all the bs things. Its not a common car so I couldnt just go to the wreckers and find pieces for it. Id never do something like this ever again. Its just too expensive. Im no mechanic, I paid to have all this done. One day I need to upgrade the brake system. The car has drum brakes all the way around, so I keep my distance from the car ahead of me.

Its a 1965 Mercury Parklane with the Maraurder option. Its the upgraded Super Maraurder 390 with 300 horses so by definition it is a muscle car. The Parklane could be had in a 4 door , a fastback like mine or the Breezeway. The Breezeway had a wild roofline. The rear window would go down electrically behind the back seat.

You want to save them all but you just cant.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010