Working on a 3D model of the Family Truckster

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Hellnbak, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Hello to all. I'm Steve, and I have been lurking around these forums for seven years or so, but this is my first post.

For a while now I have been making 3D models of vehicles. I started out modeling classic cars, then moved on to one-off historic vehicles, but also vehicles from TV and film.

This is the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Vacation movie (IMHO one of the funniest movies ever made). Probably didn't need to say that, from looking through the forums here there are many people much more knowledgeable about the Truckster than I am.

It's a work-in-progress, but I thought I would throw in on here to maybe get some feedback and suggestions for improving it. I will also be asking for some help in some areas, because finding information and decent reference photos of certain areas of the appropriate Ford LTD is proving difficult, to say the least.

Keep in mind that I don't render any of my models, that's why they don't look "photo realistic", and nothing is shiny , except for some of the textures I've added. I'm just not a big fan of rendering. After letting it "cook" on your computer for many hours (sometimes as much as 24 hours!), all you end up with is a photo of the model, and if you've done your work right it will look just like any other photo of that vehicle. Also, rendering can make a mediocre model look good and I think a lot of people count on this and tend to get lazy with their modeling.

Anyhow, here it is...

2018-03-25_193245.png

2018-03-25_192225.png

Modeling it after Clark's "little accident" is proving to be a challenge. BluRay screencaps provide no useable detail, even after running them through a number of good enhancement programs, mainly because of how long ago the movie was made, and finding reference photos of an LTD with the front end disassembled is pretty much impossible. So keep this in mind, I know it's not accurate by any means, but I just threw in some stuff for the time being (and of course some bald tires).

2018-03-25_193836.png

2018-03-25_183147.png

2018-03-25_183829.png

Had to throw in some shots at their beloved Wally World....

2018-03-25_205133.png
    2018-03-25_202323.png

Still a lot left to do. Haven't started on the interior, just made some seats and the dash top, haven't opened the doors yet, yadda yadda yadda. I have started working on the suitcases and whatnot for up top. And Aunt Edna, of course.

Please feel free to comment, and criticisms and suggestions are welcome. I have thick skin, I can take it.

Thanks for looking

Steve

sqlartist and wagonmaster like this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Wow. That is some very sharp rendering, down to the "Lou Glutz" plate cards. For disassembly purposes, you can use a Ford shop manual, body volume 1979 on up to '87, should yield exploded drawings of the front clip down to the core support.

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's pretty neat.

Welcome aboard the SWF. Pop on over to the INTRO forum and tell us a little bit about yourself.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great modeling.

Forgive me for being ignorant on this art form. What is the difference between your '3-D modeling', and 'rendering'?

Also, if you are looking for some better accuracy on your 'crashed' version, look up photos of crashed Ford Crown Victorias.... like this one.
    [​IMG]

This was the only photo I could find right now of an older Crown Vic - lots of photos available for the newer, rounded version, which came out in 1992......

5. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    3D modeling IS a render Marshal. But it can be rotated on the screen where an illustration is flat.
    I am sure he will demonstrate that for us.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

It sounds pretty neat.

Hellnbak, you obviously are quite talented.
    How long does one of these usually take you?

7. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Thanks Andrew
    Actually I have ordered a shop manual on CD, should be here tomorrow hopefully
    Steve

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Cool. I can't wait till you insert this into a copy of GTA V or Forza....

9. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Thanks Krash

Rendering is a completely separate process from 3D modeling, using one of many available rendering programs. Here is an example (not my model, just pulled from a YouTube video, although I have modeled a '53 Skylark myself, one of the most beautiful cars ever made IMHO)

Before.png

After.png

Nice, yes. But for the reasons I already mentioned I will never render any of my models. I pride myself on making my models look as good as I can just using textures. Here's an example of that, the 1885 Daimler Reitwagon, the world's first motorcyle....
    1885 Daimler Reitwagon A.png

2018-03-26_194958.png

Making the textures can be difficult and time-consuming, but, for me, ultimately rewarding. And I can still move all around my model, take it apart, make changes, etc. Not just a photo to look at as with rendering.

[/QUOTE]Also, if you are looking for some better accuracy on your 'crashed' version, look up photos of crashed Ford Crown Victorias.... like this one.
    [​IMG]

This was the only photo I could find right now of an older Crown Vic - lots of photos available for the newer, rounded version, which came out in 1992......
    [/QUOTE]

I apologize, I didn't explain myself very clearly. The details of the crashed Truckster I know I will have to get from my screencaps. What I need is the details that show all the parts of the original vehicle made visible by the crash (radiator, etc, and what would be showing behind and around the right wheel (the side with only one headlight, things like that). I know I'm not explaining myself very well, but hey, I'm an old fart and only have two active brain cells.

Steve

10. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Hi OrthmannJ,

That's a hard question to answer. I have any number of models in progress at any given time, and I tend to bounce back and forth between them, so I have no idea how much time I have spent on any particular one.

And thanks for the compliment. But there are many modelers out there much more talented than I am. I know my limitations, but as long as it's fun I'll keep at it.

Steve

OrthmannJ likes this.
  11. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Well, that's not gonna happen. I have had many offers to purchase some of my models, and also to get them to put in various racing games, but I made the decision early on to never sell any of them. For me, that would change to whole flavor of what I'm doing.

Sorry.

Steve

12. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice work. What are you using to create your models?

13. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Kevin,

Thanks.

I use Trimble Sketchup, a free program. It's really designed for architects, so working with curved, organic shapes is a lot more difficult. But I like the challenge. There is also a paid Pro version, but it is very expensive and the extra features it offers are really only useful for architectural work.

Steve

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ahh. Different world than I run in. I currently run SolidWorks, but I also have a lot of seat time with ProE, UG, and IDEAS (well back before it merged with UG anyway). I've never tried any of the free CAD programs. It would take me forever and a day to make a model of a car, but I've never had to delve too deeply into surfacing. All of the parts I design are machined, molded, stamped, etc so they don't require that level of aesthetic refinement.

15. Hellnbak

Hellnbak Member

Thanks OrthmannJ,

I've just added a blurb in the Intro forum telling all about my (boring) life.

Steve

OrthmannJ likes this.