Where's Model T ?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by ModelT1, Sep 17, 2020.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Joe. I still have little to write about station wagons. When I do I think of Dollie bringing me a sandwich, a beer, or just checking to see if I'm okay.
    I think of all the miles we spent in that old station wagon and the times she wandered through junk yards and swap meets looking for parts.
    Then those times we walked around at car shows and cruise nights. She knew I loved my old cars almost as much as I loved her.
    I go on line to forget............... It ain't workin!
    She was always in, beside, or under our wagon.
    Scan023, April 24, 2005.jpg

Grizz and OrthmannJ like this.
  2. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Here's Model T.:yikes:
    Yup, I'm still here, just not on here like I should be. Not working on a station wagon, going to car events, or even staring at station wagons much now, I have little to share, wagon wise!
    But a man's gotta do things to keep his brain active and to keep from going insane.

It may be way too late!:162:

But old memories returned as I sit mostly alone. One such memory goes way back not long after I married Dollie. She already knew I was addicted to old cars, even though we'd only been married for six months or less then, spring 1959. I knew where there was a dilapidated 1931 Model A coupe across town. The roof was missing, most lug nuts were missing, the engine knocked like someone inside it beating on the innards with a wooden mallet. But, it ran, and after I bought it for what had to be a small amount of cash, I drove it around five miles to the south side of town. I drove down the alley and parked that little blue Model A behind my 1 1/2 car doorless cement block garage.
    After I cleaned the junk left by the previous home owner out, built a plywood door with my uncle's help, I drove that Model A down the alley and around the block to it's new home. I bought a stick welder and a small compressor on wheels from my friendly Sears store. It was on that poor Model A that I learned to weld, burn holes and reweld, beat on metal to make reasonable patch panels, paint, wire, and play with my first old Model A.
    I never did get to really drive that Model A coupe. Another fool offered me way more than I thought it was worth, after I had a rebuilt engine, new paint, and almost a running Model A built from rust and scraps.
    Yep. I figured that if a Model A Ford was fun to build and drive, a Model T was gonna be funner! Apparently it was funner because from then on I was known as Model T. This could have been because I spent hours reading about, talking about, and tinkering on that 1926 Model T touring car. At one time, I knew more than Henry Ford knew about Model A and Model T Fords!:rofl:

But my love for Model A's never died. Our family had lots of Model A sedans. I still have memories of long and short drives, getting Christmas trees, getting stuck in mud and snow, and many short drives to the local park or a State park for a family picnic.
    Eventually I was cured of my Model T and Model A addiction.
    I had lots of other old cars since then. My new favorites were 55-56-57 Chevys. I couldn't afford a red '57 Convertible yet wanted something diferent. No one in their right mind worked on or drove station wagons. Maybe a few did have a Nomad or a sedan delivery. But around here (central Ill) few people cared for the tri-five Chevy or shoebox Fords.
    I like to be different, yet with a family and a regular job, it had to be cheap and different. I spotted a red 1955 Chevy station wagon going down the road as I drove from work early one morning. That started the cycle. Surprisingly, that very 1955 Chevy wagon was for sale that winter in the local 'Thrifty Nickle' or whatever it was called. This was way before Facething and the other on line adds were even thought of. It was freshly painted red, it had a later 350 and BW 4-speed. It was a driver.
    But there were runs and lint on the paint. The large tires rubbed the rear wheel wells. It only needed a FEW things to make it a decent cruiser. Several years and several dollars later, my Chevy wagon was finally on the road.
    Okay, I've probably written this a million times on this forum. Let's get to another of my fantasy 'got to have' dreams! It involves a red 1931 Model A convertible. I discovered that Model T open cars were called touring cars. Henry's Model A's were called Phaetons. My wife Dollie and I fantasized about owning a red 1931 Model A Phaeton for over 50 years! Yes, over 50 years!
    This past spring we got serious after I began seeing Model A's on Youtube and other places at car events. Stuff happened, we kept getting older, and my wife passed away. The last thing on my mind was a Model A Ford!
    Take a break. Part two is coming as soon as I figure out what to write!:slap: Here's a hint. 1931 model A Ford pickup chassis $1800.jpg

wagoninsane likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

My mom's high school car was a '29 Model A roadster, that blonde coffee tan color, with steel plate wheels. She graduated from high school, went off to college, and Grandpa Fred sold it. With the way Mom was about her stuff, if it hadn't been sold, it likely would've stayed in her possession after she and Dad married.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Part two, the fantasy dream returns. Sadly it does not include a station wagon.

Most of you have heard of Alzheimers and Dementia. For many years my wife had short term dementia. She could remember things that I had to write down or I'd forgotten or I wouldn't have remembered. Yet she'd forget who we visited last week or what she had for breakfast. She took 4- different meds and a spoon of virgin coconut oil morning and bedtime. I am not a doctor! But we've watched way too many old friends turn to a vegetable and die having dementia way fewer years than my wife. Yes, her memory continued to slowly fail each year. Yet Dollie could remember people, our kids, how to get from room to room, even how to get to shops and friend's homes, plus she could walk, talk, and dress herself. These and more things, dementia patients loose control of, plus bodily functions.
    As I write, I am not a doctor but whatever my wife was taking and simple cross word puzzles, waiting on me hand over foot, and watching old TV shows kept her brain active and alert for many years.
    It was after she broke her hip, ended up in a nursing home, and was taken off dementia meds that her mind began slipping more and more.

I write this before I continue with my latest dream (nitemare) first explaining that I seem to have reverse dementia. I am far from smart. But I lay awake nights daydreaming about our past and planning for the future. I remember simple things that a normal person forgot years before. What you are about to read is one of the negative benefits of living in and remembering the past.

As I'd written, for way over 50 years Dollie and I talked about owning a red with black fenders Model A Ford phaeton 2-dr with smaller wire wheels and super wide white wall tires. A convertible was impractical, rare, and expensive. It was only our dream. Yet just this past spring her and I discussed buying some sort of Model A to drive around our little midwestern town and local cruise ins. Possibly it would get us off our butts and out of the house! Still, it was just a stupid dream.

After Dollie died and I watch more YouTube on the big smart TV now, my oldest son some how got me on Facething Marketplace. Three of my kids have bought and sold RV's, bicycles, a golf cart, and other junk at reasonable prices on that Facebook Market thing. I refuse to join yet I wanted to check out Model A's in the midwest. It's my kids' fault!
    On a recent Taco Tuesday with my grand daughter and oldest son, he asked me if I found a Model A Ford I wanted. Yes, this searching and daydreaming was keeping what's left of my mind occupied! I'd saved a folder with lots of restored or rebuilt Model A's that seemed interesting at decent prices in my little 250 mile circle. Not being on Facething or a member, all I can do is look. I figured if I did actually find a Model A I liked my son could get that hidden information and we could maybe check them out. It was still just a fantasy dream.

Hot Dang! Less than 15 miles away is a bright red 2-dr 1930 chopped top chromed out Chevy tr-power, Vette rear end, mint A steet rod. Of course, the price was double what I was looking for. Since I'd been watching Model A restoration and normal mainenance videos I realized I'm way too old to be getting out and under a Model A for adjusting, oiling, and lubing way more often than I could handle. Therefore, a mildly modified hydraulic brake Model A seemed way more practicle. Yet, I loved the original Model A's. That's what we dreamed of for all those years! What to do now?
    My son looked at that red street rod Model A since it was near his daughter's school. I made the guy an offer he couldn't refuse. He refused but was within $500. I thunked on it for days yet never did have my son text the guy back. Evetually one of us was gonna give in another $500.:slap:

I ordered and partially assembled a 20X20 metal carport with one full side and up against the garage for my 1941 Ford in case I need room in the 20X20 garage for a Model A. Things were getting serious after all these years!

Getting back to taco Tuesday and an answer about what else I did or didn't find. I turned on this here computer and clicked Face Market Place for the zillionth time. Right there on top was the car my wife and I dreamed of for those 50+ years at a price sorta below what others were asking for sorta less, more or less.
    The problems with this one, it was 400 miles north in the middle of Michgan, the weather was looking nasty for the weekend, and there wasn't one photo of the engine or the undercarriage!
    Still, it was even more than we'd ever dreamed of. It not only has 16" wire wheels, it has large whide white walls, extra lites, two chromed ahooga horns, chrome bumpers, a rear luggage rack with a rear luggage trunk, a new top, and an original looking leather interior!
    Hidden under the hood was supposed to be a little Falcon 260 V-8 and a GM Tremec 4-speed, whatever that is!
    I had my son text the guy, we wheeled and dealed over the text phone, which I still know nothing about. I had the owner call me. We talked, I said I'll take it for $500 less if I can figure how to drive or haul it home. A word of mouth agreement and we'd probably find a way to get it on the coming weekend. This was on a Tuesday!
    The weekend was gonna be cool and rainy. Son recently bought a 500 CI GM powered Class C motorhome. Borrowed a heavy equipment 18' flat trailer from son in law, headed north at 6 AM Thurday in 20-30 MPH winds with gusts all day over 50 MPH. I mentioned several times, maybe we should cancel, go later, or just forget this! Son and six year old grand daughter told me "grandpa we want to go get your new car." Someone didn't raise them right!
    The 5 hour drive we estimated took 6 hours and the wind never stopped.

One look and I was sold. The photos looked great. The car looked even greater! I expected a chromed and polished engine. It almost looks like it came in that Model A. A mostly black engine with headers Ford 260, an aluminum 4-speed with a stock looking long shifter and the chromed emergenc brake where it should be. Even the 2-barrel carb has a small oil bath looking black round air cleaner, similar to 30's V-8s. Sounds more like a bigger engine, with duel glaspacks and chrome pipes peeked under the full width chrome Model A bumper with a chromed rack and tan rear trunk. The dual sidemounts and custom hood with three chorme GM looking doors make it look classy. We call her MissDollie and I carried my little polished urn with some of Dollie's ashes to get her! I think Dollie smiled down when I got the title!
    Another six hour drive back home in that terrible wind. This time we took the I-80 & I-90 toll road all the way across Indiana to Ill I-55. Not a smart move but it all worked out just fine.
    Amazingly, friends, family, and neighbors don't think I'm crazy. Most say Dollie would have loved our little red Model A phaeton. The right dim headlite doesn't work, after a short drive, the lower radiator hose clamp leaked, and I discovered that Tremec clutch is way too tight for even my adult son. She's all covered up under the breezeway waiting for a hydraulic clutch or maybe a Ford C-4 automatic. We have no regrets. If I just sit and stare at her, I'm happy making our dream turn to a reality after 50+ years.
    Now if only that car port would self build itself!

Attached Files:

Grizz, yellerspirit and wagoninsane like this.
  5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Here's the Model A I almost bought for $27,000 less than 15 mles from home. Probably a smarter buy but not the car we always dreamed of.

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I've sold very few things I'd buy. When moving to and back from Florida I was forced to sell and leave way too much behind. But I've noticed, I never really neede that crap. Like I sure don't need a Model A without a roof, windows, or a heater.
    Here are a few closer, cheaper, and more sensible. But I can't remember ever doing anything that made sense!:rofl2:

I actually like the Victoria body style best like the last two.

I bought my last car, a 2014 Impala, this house, and our lifetime dream Model A using the internet. Maybe now I should cancel Comcast. ..... or order my new bride.

Attached Files:

wagoninsane likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

PSX_20201129_173950.jpg

This is the color Mom's roadster was.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    God moves in mysterious Model T. Was in Phoenix for the holiday weekend. Walked down the street and ran into “Walt’s” Model A. A 4 door that Walt and his wife Karen would drive on the weekend for fun. You and Dollie were in good company. Walt and his wife were the nicest couple. They just celebrated 60 years of marriage and were so into each other and their Model A. It was just delightful. Dollie’s smiling on you T! 6D0DC1CD-B3F5-456C-B3EE-D5441BAAABA1.jpeg

OrthmannJ, Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  9. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome looking car ModelT1 ! You should be proud of being steward of such a beautiful automobile! Enjoy and drive the hell out of it!.....ModelA's Rule!

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That's a beautiful 1931.
    Thats beautiful. It's also a 1931. I'd give almost $200 for that!:rofl2:

Attached Files:

11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. My daughter, her husband, and our grandson spent Thanksgiving around Phoenix with friends and relatives. They are leaving Phoenix airport this afternoon. It's cold, windy, and snowflaky here in the middle of Illinois!
    The Model A I almost bought 50 miles from home was a 2-dr way cheaper and looked similar to Walt's. But it wasn't our 50+ year dream car.

Attached Files:

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We drove 400 miles each way in high winds and traffic, starved my grand daughter for hours, spent a small fortune in tolls for a car I can't drive. (Clutch way too tight)
    It's now windy, snowing just a few flakes, colder than heck, and my car port still isn't done.:huh:
    Gonna figure out the year of engine and tranny. Maybe get a hydraulic clutch. Maybe get a Ford C-4 auto............ MAYBE!:2cents:
    But, as I sit nice and warm talking car talk with a friend I went to grade school with, he mentioned another car guy friend, 78, who passed away on Thanksgiving. It's things like that that make me follow my dreams and do silly things while I still can!
    :rolleyes:I realize this is not about station wagons. I'd have bought a Model A woody in a minute but several things prevent that.
    This is where I can let you guys and gals know I'm still alive and loving every minute of it. Hopefully it will get some of you young wagon lovers out in the shop and building your own dream vehicle.
    Thanks to everyone reading my ramblings. As an old friend said "We're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice":bigsmile:

Grizz and wagoninsane like this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yeah, get out there, even if it's not a wagon, but something you love, something you love to do. Joe (Leadslead) and I were out in the garage overnight for a couple hours getting the details hooked up on the Butterscotch Barge's engine (the Bear's PI 460), not only because it was relaxing, but because we didn't want to watch the movie "Cats."

ModelT1 likes this.
  14. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

What can I say? I'm a car guy, and I'm allergic to "cats".

Man model T that is one sweet ride you got there, I've always admired those cars! Such a beauty.

ModelT1 and Silvertwinkiehobo like this.
  15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Denny,
    I am almost speechless. So happy for you. I likes what you said about having reverse dementia, and planning and dreaming for your future.
    Never stop doing that my friend.

ModelT1 likes this.