What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Sounds like you have some things that will keep you busy. Are you down to just the Mercedes wagon now?

2. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I have 2, the 85 W 123 wagon and a 81 W 126 sedan both of which run om617 turbo diesels and 722.3 transmissions, plus there is also a commonality of brakes and other components that really makes it simpler to maintain & repair them.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  3. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yesterday:

Changed Oil & Filter; Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 5w30, FRAM Ultra XG8A.

Today:

Changed Air Filter: FRAM Ultra. Started replacing fuel lines, after months. Also took the fuel filter off, to be replaced with a NAPA Gold tomorrow.

Grizz likes this.
  4. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    To summarize my work on the fuel lines:

I've replaced most of what's on the driver side, except from the spot where the frame starts going upward, near the rear end of the middle door.

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel filter.

Today, I changed most sections of the lines (counting the vapor line) from just before the front passenger wheel, to the fuel filter. I also did away with the "quick disconnect" system on the front side of the fuel filter, because I consider it to be a bit questionable now.

Now, I want to change the line sections from roughly the fuel filter spot and back, on both sides of the car. No telling how rusty they are. I'll have to take the rear wheels off for that.

Also, I noticed that the passenger side has some exhaust system issues; the EGR line's rusted at the catalytic converter, the muffler's rusted on the bottom by the rear, and there are holes on the bottom of the exhaust pipe where it goes into an elbow, right above the rear axle. I'll work on all of these at some later date.

I'll also check the level of the Gear Oil, before I'm through.

fannie likes this.
  5. DanR63

DanR63 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    upgraded my late son Tim's wagon with some new tires and some old school wheels.

[​IMG]

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That looks sharp!

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

8. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I checked the gear oil. The level's fine.

I also worked more on the fuel lines; I removed the original lines on the passenger side, between the fuel filter area and hose to tank area (behind the wheel.) I installed tighter clamps on the fuel filter, and put the new fuel line in place, but didn't secure it yet. The vapor line hasn't yet been added.

And as it turns out, I need to replace at least one brake line in the rear. I almost might as well replace the whole lot, since I can, and I don't know well enough about the originals. And while I'm at it, why not replace the rear wheel cylinders? I've had them on the shelf for years. The originals are spotty.

EDIT: Update on the brake lines.

Front Driver: Good Shape.
    Front Passenger: Replacing.
    Front to Rear Line: Good Shape.
    Both Rear Sides, after the junction: Replacing.

I'll probably replace these 3 lines with Copper lines, so that I probably don't need to replace them ever again.

I've finally decided that I will replace the wheel cylinders in the rear, at the same time (I was on the fence about it.) I already have a pair.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Grizz likes this.
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Um, there's a reason brake lines are steel, they can withstand the enormous pressure with a thin-walled tube. I'm not so sure copper has the same bursting strength as steel. If you're worried about outside corrosion, you can clean each line to remove oils, lightly heat then spray each line with clear coat, without primering. I did that on the '55 Pontiac I worked on 15 years ago, by the customer's request.

Grizz and 101Volts like this.
  10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think he means NiCopp brake line tubing. That is what I would use anyway.

101Volts likes this.
  11. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, but I've already used this "Copper" line on my Explorer. I've had no problems with it over these 8 months. I was mistaken about it being pure copper, though, as noted below.

I think "NiCopp" is what I mean, yeah. One way or another, I'll put grease at the fittings after they're installed. I've had enough of goofing around with vice grips on rusted brake line fittings.

Update time:

Brake Lines: I've removed the 3 troublesome brake lines and the brake hose / junction. The junction screw was frozen on, so I had to file it down until I could get a hold of it with vice grips. It eventually worked.

Fuel Line & Vent Line: I also installed the fuel line on the driver side, and roughly installed the vent line on the passenger side. I'm not completing this today, I need to special order the brake hose.

Grizz likes this.
  12. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like to use anti-seize in lieu of grease. I always have it handy to apply to fasteners so I'll usually dab some anywhere I don't want parts to fuse together.

Grizz likes this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, nickel-copper? I've never heard of it. I'm still dubious, but I'll check it out.

14. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Come to think of it, I do have a bunch of Anti-Seize available. I'll keep it in mind, at least, thanks.

I wouldn't use Nickel-Copper lines for the fuel lines, and it is very soft compared to steel lines. It's also considerably more expensive. I only just heard of it this January, because an AutoZone Employee told me about it when I was having issues replacing a curvy line section near the front of my Explorer.

Here's some article about NiCop lines.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-truth-about-copper-brake-lines-1818499200

It seems like NiCop lines don't eliminate corrosion (as I previously thought they did,) they just slow it down a lot. Changing the Brake Fluid every year or two ought to help slow it down further.

Grizz likes this.
  15. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I picked up the other rear brake line. The hose didn't come today, it seems to be waylaid until the 25th. Just as well, I guess.