What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have Toyo Extensa A/S tires on my '91 Crown Vic in a 225/70R15 and they have a white wall side to them.

101Volts likes this.
  2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like Hankook doesn't have one but Toyo does.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Extensa-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B002GCKXXO

eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1-215-70r15-TOYO-Extensa-A-s-98t-WW-Tire/671901652?iid=372570334226&rt=nc

The Amazon photo seems to show the other side of the tire (questions say this tire has a White Wall side) and the eBay photo shows it. $68 per tire with free shipping at Amazon.

[​IMG]

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    $80 is plenty of money for tires that are shipped half way around the planet from a certain low-wage slipshod Hellhole. The National Department for Highway Safety or whatever they used to call them, if they're still even a branch of government anymore, used to weed out or at least post public allerts on dangerous tires, if you're old enough to remember those Bronco roll-overs caused by failing Firestone tires decades ago. Since we've got an Autobahn without any speed limit where one isn't posted, I've never yet heard of belt-shifting on anything sold here, despite Skinflints buying cheap tires made in that Hellhole I previously mentioned. I have at least 2 mounted on my car, because I bought it that way. But, it's a light car and it's likely that tire exports to Germany could be more selective.
    If they still cast in the country or Hellhole of origin on tires, I'd first pay a glimpse on the sidewall, before even considering buying them. Hankooks are supposed to be made in Finland and Toyos in Japan. The small difference in price between Coopers, Toyos and Hankooks should demonstrate how much profit is made on the Coopers, at the expense of your safety

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

There you go! Straight from the tireman.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Good info to know. I remember having a full set of five Uniroyal Tiger Paw XTMs shift belts, with one blowing out the sidewall on the freeway. Gives newer meaning to the derisive tire name, "U.S. Maypops."

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That must have been happening in recent years. This is the first time I've read about Uniroyals blowing out. Did you happen to notice where they were made?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

No, I never took note of the country of origin. What made me angry about it at the time was they were on a car I bought at the dealer, and the bastards not only removed any and all paperwork, when I talked to them about it, they said they give the paperwork back to the previous owner. Not only did they refuse to give me the person's name, they also refused to talk to the PO on my behalf. No doubt, I was screwed, and I vowed to never, ever buy a used car from anyone, regardless of the circumstances, unless it was cash.

8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    You could get a competent lawyer to subpoena your rightfull documents for you. Of they don't fork them out despite or have destroyed these documents, they can be criminally charged with fraud or obstruction of justice or both. They're better off either settling the issue without the court, paying you compensation, than to face felony charges with possible imprisonment. The felony charges alone will detriment them being able to conduct certain aspects of buisiness like getting loans. I'd throw their arses under the bus, if I were you. It's more gratifying than to get monetarilly compensated. If you do nothing, they'll keep behaving the way they do

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

None of that makes a damn bit of difference. Defective tires are handled by the tire manufacturer and you should have gone to a Uniroyal dealer for adjustment and replacement. No paperwork required as it was a safety issue. As a dealer mechanic, you should know that there are warranty items not subject to a full recall, but are handled on a case by case basis when a customer complaint is received. The same is true of tires whereby only a small part of a production run is defective. Each tire has a serial number molded into it which identifies when it was made.

Back in the day, new cars included separate warranties for the tire brand the car was sold with. You took it to the tire dealer, not the car dealer for adjustment. As far as PI's diatribe, you would report the defects to the NTSB and let them handle it.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That still doesen't dismiss this dealer's attitude towards a customer, through attempting concealing what he has requested and the lame baltant lie about returning paperwork to where it has no business being sent. This is cut and dry fraudulent. "Back in the Day", as you put it, the customer used to be the king. He still would be today, if customers were to instill the fear of God into them, instead of just letting these things go and even go past statutes of limitation. These Bozos attempted insulting Twink's intelligence. Which is reason enough for screwing them down and teaching them a lesson their parents were responsible to do. They had the duty of informing him, as to where to take the issue, instead of attempting redacting the issue. As for which one of us is spewing "diatribe" out of his or her's mouth, taking the issue to someone familiar at all with the law would land the dunce cap on your head and not anyone elses besides

11. Daryl65

Daryl65 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I got it started after a week of chasing distributor issues. Only part I did not replace in mine was the Coil point pick up.

Engine is a SBC 327 1st gen with an HEI distributor. Barrowed another Distributor from a friend dropped it in and bang it was running with a little twisting of the thing-y.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    101Volts likes this.
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Nice. Glad to hear you got it running.

101Volts and Daryl65 like this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

The pattern failure on GM HEI dizzys is the wires between the pickup coil and module, if it was non-electronic. The vacuum advance would move the coil back and forth, and one or both wires would break.

14. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I installed a GM 80A alternator on my wagon, plus I disassembled the steering column to fix a broken sector gear and tighten the tilt screws while I was at it. Pictures are later...

15. Andrew4180

Andrew4180 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Took the Barge to work with me this evening, Saturday Night short track action at HMP. Promotor and fans like the wagon, makes it easy to find the photographer.

P1019923.JPG

fannie, ModelT1, Daryl65 and 2 others like this.