What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Wow that's way cooler then my master cylinder replacement. Although I did luck out as 77 cars mostly came with discs in front lol

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Thanks guys. It's an aftermarket kit that uses off the shelf GM parts, which is good for servicing down the road, and the car's original spindles.

The weather has turned crappy here and it's been raining for the last few days, so I've only driven a handful of miles, but the difference is day and night. I've been wanting to do this upgrade for years and have been saving my pennies. Considering the circumstances the time was right and I had the money so I jumped in. I know it's not stock, but it makes the car safer and that in of itself gives me peace of mind.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Stock is for museums. We don't live in a museum world. Well, at least most of us don't

101Volts and Grizz like this.
  4. OrthmannJ

Yes, the car did have a booster originally. You can see it in this photo I took after doing an aerosol overhaul on the engine compartment a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Aerosol overhaul. I'll have to steal that one, pretend like I made it up.

7. OrthmannJ

Be my guest. I heard someone else use it, so I can't claim that one either.

8. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz likes this.
  9. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Did the kit come with an adjustable biasing valve, they are great for really balancing the front & rear brakes.

10. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    alt1-gaugeout.JPG alt1-soldered.JPG alt1-works.JPG I made my alternator excite like it should. I rule.

101Volts and Grizz like this.
  11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So, I go to my barber and get a haircut on Wednesday, October 3rd.....
    We're chit-chatting, and he asks me how the Safari is going. (He's got a hot rod or two...) I lament a bit about the problem with my right front door window, can't seem to get the door trim panel off and really see what's wrong with it. He offers the suggestion I should take it to an auto electric place over off Main St.

I start driving home in the wagon, and I just decide right then that I'm tired of driving a broken car, so I stop in at the recommended auto electric place. (Turns out I think I took my nieces' car here for some repair a couple of years ago......) Shop looks horrible. Boxes everywhere. Papers piled up all over the desks in the office. you can tell right away this is NOT an organized place of business. I talk over what needs to be done with the (owner? - not sure...) Had a few separate issues, all dealing with the power windows and locks. I figure maybe a week or so..... I can use the wife's car on Monday and Tuesday when I go to work.

17 days later, the Safari is still there. Finally had a bit of a talk with the owner on Friday, and got (sort of) a commitment that it might be done in a week or so. Still no actual written estimate (apparently not a law in Oregon....), but came to an understanding on the cost.

If it's still sitting next Friday, it's coming home with me, whether it's done or not.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Man, that is atrocious. As a mechanic and diagnostic tech, most problems should not take weeks to diagnose and fix, let alone multiple days. For the few that are the 'special headaches' in the industry, the owner, manager, whoever is in charge should at least be honest upfront. One problem I had to tackle was a late '80s Chrysler Laser(?), option monster, and the damned door ajar chime kept going, and the screen that told you problems, always showed the passenger door ajar, even though it was shut. I finally had to remove the dash to access the harness, and found the wire for the right door switch had grounded out. It took three days to get to that point, and the customer was only charged 10 hours, but it didn't take any damned two plus weeks to get to, let alone fix.

13. OrthmannJ

Yes it did. I haven't messed with it. I want to put some miles on it and see how everything pans out. Right now it's such a world of difference it's unbelievable. I want some seat time before I start fiddling with things.

14. OrthmannJ

Dangit Marshall! That's terrible. I hate hearing about things like this. Now that you've spoken to them I hope they get it taken care of quickly and bellow the cost you're expecting.

15. OrthmannJ

The Fury was running crummy after our last road trip, so I decided it was due for a tune up. My buddy laughed when I told him about it, since I'll be putting the car away for winter hibernation soon, but I figured this way it will be all ready for spring.

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, etc.
    IMG_2172.JPG

Plugs were filthy
    IMG_2173.JPG

Runs way better now. We drove it to Church on Sunday and it's like a new car. Runs good, stops good, I'm pretty pleased.
    Hopefully I can drive it for a few more weeks. We'll see how much longer this nice fall weather holds out.