What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I hope it wont be too bad, I've got all the parts for the tank R&R. I'm going to pick up new shackel bushings and replace the shocks while the rears hanging. Did you have to do it to the '55?

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Yes. First I removed the wagon tank and sealed the rust holes. This was before new tanks were available. Whatever I sealed it with didn't hold. In Florida I got a new tank. Not really hard to do. Just takes time.
    Make sure the upper shock mounts are not ripped out. Some say they tear out but I never had a car or wagon that looked bad.

3. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the tip. From what I can tell they look ok, hopefully the mount holes are good when I remove them. Still got spiral shocks on the rear, may be original. unc

4. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Pro tip: As long as my father is as he is NEVER talk about car repair with him, NEVER be late and always have the repair done before he could possibly know it. In fact, "Have it done before it's started." Now my Father (if you can call him that, sadly) is being stupid and is saying he's going to send the Wagon to the junkyard and crush it because I don't have the radiator on it yet.

What the explicit, "Dad?" I thought you gave this car to me as a birthday present.

It's not just this. I had to disown him months ago (In some regards at least) because I don't want to be like him with his explosive rage on subject of car repair.

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    101 talk to your dad and tell him how much you enjoy the station wagon. Let him know you are doing your best and learning about cars as you go.
    Good luck.

6. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Pretty harsh words towards Dad, 101. Considering he bout you a turn key drivable car that wasn't broken until you fixed it.......

IMO there is all ways the other side of the story at moments like this:scratchchin:

7. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    That was the point when I was stalling on "What should I torque the fittings to?" because I wanted to tighten them without destroying the warranty. I did say that eventually, thanks.

Now that I think of it, yeah; there are other sides about it. But is it really considerate for him to act like a volcano? Though yes, I can still learn from experiences such as this. It's not the first time he's been explosive over car repairs; Earlier this year he said he was going to junk his Caravan the next day because it was acting up. (He got it in 2012 and paid $1,800 for it.) The only thing that was wrong was a fuel injector and I fixed it.

Anyway, I got the new radiator on today and filled it up with fluid and now Dad is cool.

Thanks, Tedy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  8. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath 101. Glad you got your wagon back together. Not to make excuses for your dad but you never know what he is feeling. I am assuming you ask questions here because he may not be able to give you the answer so maybe he feels he failed you somehow by not being able to fix or tell you how to fix it. I am father to 2 teenagers and it's not easy being a dad. When my kids fail at something, I feel like I failed for not teaching them, he may express that wrong but believe me 101, sometimes in life all we have is family! Good luck and remember, time does heal wounds and as long as you are both alive it's never too late to start over!

9. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Now my head feels hot. Did I do something wrong?

He has told me I'm all he has to live for, so it would be cruel to completely disown him. But at the same time there are things I don't want to imitate from him and that's what I meant by disowning him somewhat; One is those days when he got hot-headed. It would be nice if he would just not do that and I'd like to say that he isn't doing it anymore but I can't, at least not yet. But I should just look at it as "Disown the habit, not him!" yes?

Thanks for pointing that out, It brings up thoughts that are helpful.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Good reply Dennis 1tireman.

And 101 as long as your dad and the wagon are cool then that's cool!:biglaugh:

You think it's hard being a son try being a dad.

11. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I may, some day. I'd like to.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Might be a good idea to find a wife and get married first. Altho that's not required anymore!:rofl2:

But no matter who you chose make sure it's a station wagon lover.
    One who owns and works on her own wagon is even better.

13. timmo

timmo Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Still waiting on Steele Rubber

It's been over two years since I sent Steele Rubber Products my original quarter window rubber and the stationary vent window rubber for the rear doors on my 63 Fairlane Wagon. Always get the "It takes 8 weeks to make one corner mold for a window gasket" routine and the guy that is in charge of new products is always gone to shows as he is the salesman too. So a few weeks back I sent an email the the President/Owner of the company explaining the situation and he got on them to get started but still has the 6-8 week to make a mold speech going on. I think they need to get some better mold makers if it takes them that long to make on corner mold and there are three per side on the large seals. When these are done they will fit all 62-65 Ford Fairlane wagons so it's not like it's a one year thing. If anyone has any pull with them maybe you could mention it and if you are someone who needs these rubbers then please call and talk to Eddie Layle. If they hear from people maybe they'll work a little faster. This is really the only thing holding me back from finishing it and it's super frustrating.

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Holly crap, timmo....you have been waiting 2 year and by the sounds of things they still have not even started?:49:. You are a much more patient man than me, I would have demanded my moldings back longer than a year ago. I sure do hope you get them though and haven't lost yours because of the time frame.

I think I'll be putting Steele Rubber Products on my Red Flag List. Sorry to hear they have jerked you around for so long.

15. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    That's part of the plan, Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the good point, I've heard of domineering wives and I don't think that's a good idea to be married to one unless she turns around pretty quickly. Going back in history a bit, I think my Grandma was a very good wife to my Grandfather and he bought over 200 cars; She didn't like that. So, Should I marry a wife who does things like my Grandma did who isn't domineering over me but it's the other way around? What's that like? (Come to think of it that's how my Paternal grandparents were too.)

Come to think of it I can learn from my Grandfather too, he was one of the hardest-working truck drivers you may have ever heard of since he was (in the 1950s-1970s? He drove until some time in the 2000s) doing not just doubles, but triples.

But I'm getting off-topic here, so what I've done to my wagon lately is think of driving the wagon today.