wagon reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by codyadams81, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Do they all have the horizontal type engine? Not sure the technical name for those but I can imagine removing the heads is not easy. I had like a 83? 300 turbo diesel Mercedes in the late 90’s I got for less than $5,000 they make wagons. Those are great cars and the engines last forever. I’ve always wanted another one.

2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Larger Subarus have flat sixes. As far as headgaskets go, be easy on a cold engine, until it reaches operating temperature. Warming it up and then shutting it off for about 10 minutes before service also helps gasket longevity, since different metals tend to expand at different coefficients.
    Balljoints should stay reliable, if periodically inspected for proper sealing. If the boots show signs of biological aging, it's best to replace those, in order to save the joint, as preventative measures. Unfortunately, they've done away with grease zerks. Otherwise, if you had those, balljoints would last for the entire service life of that particular vehicle.
    The following has a turbocharged 4. I don't know if you can label this as a traditional wagon. Maybe, somewhere in between like a Jeep Wagoneer? I find the boxy styling appealing and sober, compared to most anything up to date:

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote...f32ce8e-5e5c-9250-e053-e250040a07c9?cldtidx=9

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're into quick six-bangers, Subaru also made Audi-like copies:

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote...76d397a-cbb4-4b7a-9ecd-bd9a702850ed?cldtidx=4

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

They're called 'boxer' engines (though I don't know why).
    As for metals expansion, it's not an issue on engines where the heads and block are the same material (in this case, aluminum), as long as the gasket itself can allow expansion at that rate without peeling off the surfaces.

4. Doghead

I think, the Subarus have both aluminum blocks and heads. But, am not absolutely sure. They call them boxers, because the pistons are boxing outwards parallel to their opponents' faces of equal height. V-engines are also boxers. Except that they are uppercutting taller opponents instead.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am quite curious about the 6-cylinder Subaru engine, although lately it seems they are trying to phase it out. Their new 'large' SUV, the Ascent uses a turbocharged flat 4 instead of the flat 6, for example.

6. Doghead

Automakers over here, as well as in asia, have been substituting 4-bangers for high-output 3-bangers, because of fuel economy reasons. One less cylinder to feed seems to be making a difference

7. fawndog

fawndog New Member

For informational purposes;

I've worked on BMWs, VWs, Datsuns, Subarus, American and a Volvo.

Early 2000s BMWs are nice when they work, great drivers and M3 parts will swap in.
    I have 30 years experience troubleshooting/wrenching, they will require attention and if you can't do it it's $$$.

Subarus/Saabaru (Saab 92x) are great little wagons. They run the gamut from eco-box to Porsche killing dog hauler.
    I consider these to be the "Chevy" of the imports, so much STi stuff can swap over to regular models (brakes, suspension, transmission, and engine parts).

American, I do enjoy a classic land yacht, they are getting real hard to find parts for though.

Doghead likes this.
  8. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Between the long history of both head gasket failures and oil pickup failures, I wouldn't buy one for myself. Both problems Subaru has taken WAY too long to resolve.