wagon reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by codyadams81, Sep 29, 2019.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Hillbilly Deluxe

I can echo the sentiment regarding the German cars. I have never owned one, but my in-laws have owned almost a dozen Mercedes. (Bear in mind These have all been purchased new, or relatively new over the last 15 years, so I don't have any experience with cars older than that.) They have all been nice cars and well maintained by the dealership, but after they hit a certain number of miles, the breakdowns and repairs start to ramp up quickly and the cost to repair them is astronomical. Oh, and the value of these vehicles falls off a cliff once they leave the dealer lot. They're cheap, and are fancy, but I wouldn't choose to own one personally. That's my :2cents:

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Hillbilly Deluxe

Thanks, I must have missed that.

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have an ‘87 Volvo 740 GLE wagon. Love the square look, love the 5 speed with the overdrive button. That 4 cylinder is a real dead nuts dependable engine. They’ve used it since the ‘50’s. Just make sure the timing chain is new or has had service. Apparently when it goes. Yikes. That’s not a recommendation, but those square 740/760 wagons seem ok. That should also be in your price range. Like Orthmann, that’s my 2 cents in the pot.

4. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

$5000 or less early 2000s reliable European car. Got it, I'll keep my eyes open.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Got it. You had mentioned Volvo, also late ‘90’s to early 2000’s. I think those 740/760’s were made through that time period. I wasn’t suggesting that you needed to settle on an ‘87, or anything of the of the kind. Just mentioned it in passing. My experience, Volvo’s to me seemed to be dependable. I have really enjoyed mine. Good luck with your search.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have had / have the following imports
    1987 Volvo GLE740 - Had it for 5 years - outside of routine maint - no repairs
    1997 Audi A6 Avant - same as above
    2004 Audi A6 Avant - had it for 6 years - only repair air bag sensor - cost $980 to replace
    2010 - Mercedes ML350 (SUV not a wagon but same issues) now 9 years old - had extended warranty - but without repairs about $2800 or about $500 a year.

while I think I am fortunate not to have had any serious issues with any of these cars routine maint at a dealership is HIGH, I figure about $1000 to $1800 a year. Its not just wagons it the brand - BMW; Mercedes; Audi; Mini Coper; Jag doesn't matter whose , have had all of them - and the cost is about the same. Replace a transmission on an Audi can run $4,000 plus.
    but hey my 85 Mercury Colony Park is up to $4300 in repairs and maint. - it wins as the most expensive car I owned since my 1970's Alfa Romeos

8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Didn’t Volvo also call some of those rounded square wagons “Cross Country”? You could get one of those, and have a bunch of old guys think you’ve got a ‘58 Rambler, then you’d really hit it off with the old fart set around here. Love letters to Rambler!

9. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

I had a Volvo granted it was a 2005 v50 turbo but the engine blow so lets just say it left a bad taste in my mouth