Travels of the Fury

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by OrthmannJ, Sep 28, 2017.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Thank you Andrew.

2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    millsy likes this.
  3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a perfect weekend.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, yeah, my nieces still talk about sitting with me in my '89 Bronco, to see "War of the Worlds" and "Batman Begins."

5. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    I enjoyed reading this thread. Great Plymouth!

OrthmannJ likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

Thank you very much. More to come! :thumbs2:

7. OrthmannJ

You are correct, it was a 55 chivy. That member's name is whjco. I recalled reading some stuff about him and the car a while back as well.

[​IMG]

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/media/users/whjco.1835/

8. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Going to see Sandlot at the Southington Drive In (which I actually worked at) with some of my sons baseball teamates and friends, cant wait!!

9. OrthmannJ

That sounds like it will be a great time! Making memories in the wagon. :thumbs2:

10. OrthmannJ

I took the Fury to a local shop to have some suspension dodads installed.
    It's a neat building, and they ALWAYS have something cool there they are working on.

IMG_9808.JPG
    IMG_9807.JPG
    The Chevy II has SS badges.
    IMG_9811.JPG
    This GMC 4x4 was parked on the other side of the shop when I arrived.
    IMG_9804.JPG
    They're great guys and they do great work. They really treat their customer's well.

101Volts and millsy like this.
  11. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    How does it feel to know that your car is just as cool as any of those cars in there?! I mean, the Chevy II is cool but at that point it’s all up to preference.

12. OrthmannJ

Feels pretty good.

13. OrthmannJ

Well folks, I have to say that last week was the end of an era.

My Grandparents who were the original owners of my Plymouth Fury station wagon are now together again in heaven. We lost Grandpa Charles in November. Last week we laid Grandma Shirley to rest beside him. She was 91.

They were married for almost 72 years at the time of Grandpa's passing. Together they raised 10 children on a farm in Kennewick Washington. In the midst of all of the life they lived, they purchased a family car that, through fate or perhaps just luck, has stayed in the family since.

I started this thread as a way to chronicle the travels of the Fury, to share the adventures that it is taking me and my family on now. So, I figure this is just another chapter in the book of our family and this automobile that has been interwoven into so many of our experiences and stories.

As was the case when Grandpa Charles died, I decided to drive the Fury to Grandma Shirley's funeral. One of my cousins took over a hundred photos throughout the day and shared them with us via email.

Fury at cemetary.jpg

It's funny how this car has become such a tangible family heirloom. It's an immediate instrument of nostalgia for everyone who see's it.
    I parked the car out front of the church hall after the graveside service where everyone was gathering for the luncheon. Unbeknownst to me my father and his siblings all gathered in front of it for a photo.

Fury and Siblings.jpg

They all rode in this car as kids, some drove it as teenagers. Most at one time or another probably wondered why Grandpa had held onto it for so long, but on this day they were all pleased that he had.

Towards the end of the day, when most of the relatives had left, my cousin's son asked me if he could go for a ride around the block in "Great Grandpa's car?" Of course I was happy to oblige. So he and his brothers along with my two sons piled in and we went for a little spin.

Fury and cousins.jpg
    Days like these are bittersweet. We are sad that our loved one is no longer with us. But we are happy because of the life they lived, and the legacy of love they passed on to us.

We all carry on that legacy in different ways. One of the ways I'll be doing that will be in the Fury.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    WagonTheDog, Grizz and fannie like this.
  14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Your dad and siblings should rather be standing behind your wagon, to help cover up all those depressing cars in that lot. Yours is the only normal looking car there. I don't know how anyone can stand driving those others. You'd have to be on meds or drunk to even stand the thought of owning one of those.
    Sorry about your Grandma. My kids lost one of theirs, at a much earlier age. My daughter last saw hers as a toddler and my son never even met his. Oh well. Kids cheer things up, in any case. I can imagine that a funeral for one's parents would be even worse for childless persons

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Your dad and siblings should rather be standing behind your wagon, to help cover up all those depressing cars in that lot. Yours is the only normal looking car there. I don't know how anyone can stand driving those others. You'd have to be on meds or drunk to even stand the thought of owning one of those.
    Sorry about your Grandma. My kids lost one of theirs, at a much earlier age. My daughter last saw hers as a toddler and my son never even met his. Oh well. Kids cheer things up, in any case. I can imagine that a funeral for one's parents would be even worse for childless persons